GDT: USA vs. Sweden | January 5th, Final; 1:30 PM EST, 7:30 PM Local

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Not all of them were available, USA was missing Logan Cooley.
One guy vs at least 6 top Canadians. So yes, relatively speaking they had all their best players.

oh yeah, the Canadians would definitely be classier Easier to draw attention away from their gang rape that way. Get the f*** out of here with your bullshit.
What an unhinged response. Please seek help.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
One guy vs at least 6 top Canadians. So yes, relatively speaking they had all their best players.
The Canadians didn't play in this game, so that's irrelevant. Both USA and Sweden were missing one high profile forward to the NHL.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
However poor the reffing was (and was it ever) at least it didn't decide this game like it did others. Good job US, well executed gameplan. Well done Sweden, with a bit of puck luck this could have gone in the opposite direction. Impressive game!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Bottom line is the Russians weren't there so should put asterisk nect to this Gold.
No Bedard, Wright or Fantilli.. I say we asterisk the shit out of this one! But Michkov could've played while Bedard was in NHL and that is totally fair, right?

Or Nemec and Slafkovsky for Slovakia in their best age group in a decade!

Reactions: ginomini

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
No Bedard, Wright or Fantilli.. I say we asterisk the shit out of this one! But Michkov could've played while Bedard was in NHL and that is totally fair, right?

Or we could recognize this stuff happens every year and quit with the asterisks and excuses.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The US NTDP U18 team played at home against the University of Michigan tonight here in Plymouth. The four U of M players on the U20 team (McGroarty, Brindley, Casey, and Nazar) were there with the trophy. Three of them are NTDP alumni, too. They got a standing ovation from a sellout crowd. Was a pretty cool moment.

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

The asterisk has been known since Norén had to exit.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Maybe you should check the 1960 and 1980 Olympic Gold Medal winners for hockey. I am pretty sure that the US has won a few other titles in other hockey events.
Actually not really...

1996 World Cup and 1980 Olympics are their last 2 adult titles.

to be clear, I think they have an amazing program and it is an amazing anomaly but we're going on 28 years without a win at the senior level anywhere.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
This choke thing abut Sweden is not real. If you are supposed to win and dont, i am ok with that term, But when you meet a team that is supposed to win and dont it is just as predicted. Most predicted US and Canada before this event. Sweden had a chance but was not favorites to win. And most times thats the case. Sweden play better then they should , get to the final, loose that and is labeld chokers. Thats just stupid.

This year the gold favourite won again. 2018 the odds was 2.05 for Canada and 8.00 for Sweden before the tournament. 2014 Sweden was tied with Canada. Thats the one they should have won against Finland.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021

Tough loss for the Swedes on home ice, but it's great that the WJC is becoming a more significant event in Europe.

If it could only get increased exposure here in America, where millions of rabid hockey fans are almost completely ignorant about it. The rivalries, excitement, and drama of the tournament will be enough to turn casual viewers into fans. It just needs first-time viewers to watch.

Maybe getting it on ESPN, with some of its marketing muscle behind it, instead of the lamentable NHL Network, would be a good start. Over to you, Gary.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Tough loss for the Swedes on home ice, but it's great that the WJC is becoming a more significant event in Europe.

If it could only get increased exposure here in America, where millions of rabid hockey fans are almost completely ignorant about it. The rivalries, excitement, and drama of the tournament will be enough to turn casual viewers into fans. It just needs first-time viewers to watch.

Maybe getting it on ESPN, with some of its marketing muscle behind it, instead of the lamentable NHL Network, would be a good start. Over to you, Gary.
If ESPN lost the broadcasting rights (expires 2026, should be a pretty big bidding war with the playoff expansion) to the College Football Playoff, I could see them settling back with the World Junior rights, hopefully it wouldn't get completely caught behind ESPN+, but I assume at least the semis and finals would make its way its way onto ESPN (and hopefully all USA and Canada games).

The NHL Network is a total non-starter. The fact that NHL Network isn't offered on YouTube TV and is part of a premium to a basic cable package makes it way too inaccessible.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
If ESPN lost the broadcasting rights (expires 2026, should be a pretty big bidding war with the playoff expansion) to the College Football Playoff, I could see them settling back with the World Junior rights, hopefully it wouldn't get completely caught behind ESPN+, but I assume at least the semis and finals would make its way its way onto ESPN (and hopefully all USA and Canada games).

The NHL Network is a total non-starter. The fact that NHL Network isn't offered on YouTube TV and is part of a premium to a basic cable package makes it way too inaccessible.
ESPN would be ideal. ESPN+ alone would be huge. I know nothing about contract law, but surely the rights could be taken from NHLN given sufficient intere$t.

But, ESPN or another platform, the main thing the tournament needs stateside is exposure. I truly believe the product would sell itself, but that can't happen if the product isn't even on the shelf.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
ESPN would be ideal. ESPN+ alone would be huge. I know nothing about contract law, but surely the rights could be taken from NHLN given sufficient intere$t.
Not exactly sure how long NHL Network has the World Junior rights in the U.S. for. I think 2008-2011, 2011-2017, 2017-2021 in the past. Not sure when they extended it to past then as I'm not finding anything online.
But, ESPN or another platform, the main thing the tournament needs stateside is exposure. I truly believe the product would sell itself, but that can't happen if the product isn't even on the shelf.
Yeah, exposure would help quite a bit. The competitive results from USA should be a nice feather to attract viewers. I don't think it'd ever get "huge" necessarily but it could definitely build a bigger following than it has now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad