GDT: USA Vs Austria | 12/26 @ 9:30PM ET | TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He is the best scorer on the team. He should play with the best centre. US needs his scoring. The Colangelos and Berards only look good because.. Austria.
Or maybe Berard can create things based on his hustle and not just float around waiting for someone to feed him a puck for a one timer....

I mean obviously Caufield has more offensive talent than Brett Berard, but that's the point- Caufield and Kaliyev both aren't playing up to their talent and getting the most out of it. Berard does.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
But if your overall concern is people getting CTE is it not just smart to get rid of any and all risks of CTE? Continuous small to medium bumps which rattle the brain also lead to CTE. It's an absolute fact. Why not just get rid of all hitting? I'm not being cute. I'm just pointing out that you want to get on your high horse and pretend you care about players health - but only to a certain extent in which you deem to be acceptable.
More people get hurt in the bathtub than by bazookas. Therefor we shouldn't stop the average Joe from getting bazookas until we confiscate all bathtubs.

Reactions: HanSolo

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Some takeaways from last night:

It's brutal to see a team get humiliated like that. While I wouldn't agree with it, I could understand a "mercy" rule in this tournament that keeps the clock moving when it hits a 10-spot lead.

Brink still is underwhelming to me.

I don't know what to make of this American team yet still.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Some takeaways from last night:

It's brutal to see a team get humiliated like that. While I wouldn't agree with it, I could understand a "mercy" rule in this tournament that keeps the clock moving when it hits a 10-spot lead.

Brink still is underwhelming to me.

I don't know what to make of this American team yet still.

Interesting. I thought Brink showed a lot of hustle and made things happen. A bit snake bitten.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I am just finishing this game. The Austrian coach should have his head examined for not pulling Wraneschitz after 2. That is gross mismanagement and i'd go so far as to call it incompetence. Easily one of the most lopsided games i have ever watched...forget the score of Canada Germany... That was 10 times closer than this.. Brings me back to Canada/France from 2001

I thought the US were awesome...they squeezed the life out of Austria...no room to breathe...They can still win this group.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I am just finishing this game. The Austrian coach should have his head examined for not pulling Wraneschitz after 2. That is gross mismanagement and i'd go so far as to call it incompetence. Easily one of the most lopsided games i have ever watched...forget the score of Canada Germany... That was 10 times closer than this.. Brings me back to Canada/France from 2001

I thought the US were awesome...they squeezed the life out of Austria...no room to breathe...They can still win this group.

Usually when a coach doesn't pull a goalie when they are getting brutalized there is a reason for it. Maybe the backup is THAT BAD. Maybe they know the backup is going to get brutalized in the next game (they have no easy road going forward) and each goalie will get their turns to get humiliated.

I'm sure he had a reason for leaving him in there.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

I think, like the other guy said, there's a huge delta between Wraneschitz and Brandner, and he probably wanted to it from getting as ugly as possible. Not that I agree. I think when Wraneschitz was stretching around in the crease between faceoffs, it was probably time. I have, silently, never really been a fan of Bader.

I really wouldn't use this game to assess the US team's abilities. Our #1 Dman, at least according to the depth chart, was cut from his USHL team during pre-season camp last year and played in the NCDC. I think Posch and Wimmer are proving to be better defensemen than him...but that margin is not nearly large enough.

Love talking to the players after the game. They think it's really cool how good the US players are.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m an American who loves team USA and I didn’t have any problem with the big hit. This is a game where you need your head on a swivel, you can’t humiliate a team without expecting some unfriendly response. Reading everyone’s responses I expected a more predatory hit than what I saw. The angle from behind them looks much worse than the angle from the front. Shoulder to head, and head contact is illegal obviously in iihf thus the penalty but I’m not up in arms about it at all.

Reactions: Muston Atthews

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If it was completely shoulder-to-shoulder, it still would've been late. As it was, there was plenty of head contact involved, which takes it up a notch. Add in the game situation, and it gets worse.

And the "admiring your pass" nonsense is some of the dumbest shit ever. He passed to his left, the play was to his left, he was following the play, and the hit came from blindside right.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I’m an American who loves team USA and I didn’t have any problem with the big hit. This is a game where you need your head on a swivel, you can’t humiliate a team without expecting some unfriendly response. Reading everyone’s responses I expected a more predatory hit than what I saw. The angle from behind them looks much worse than the angle from the front. Shoulder to head, and head contact is illegal obviously in iihf thus the penalty but I’m not up in arms about it at all.
I think he will get 2 games. Worse than the Schneider hit.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I love the physical and skilled portion.

Hitting hard and hitting properly is a skill, like anything else. Boxing, martial arts, and hockey all have acceptable and unacceptable forms of contact for the player's health. Good players and sportsmen operate within the confines of the rules, and while they accept risk, they rightfully expect a code of conduct in adherence to these rules as best as possible.

Not caring about the health and well-being of the players is simply the mindset of a sociopath.

Your doubling down by saying people "pretend to care" is either a massive troll job or you pull off wings of flies for fun. Either way, you're a dangerous person I would not want to hear from again.

You’re reading what I’m writing but not understanding and that’s fine.

Unless you are advocating for the removal of all body checking you don’t care about players getting concussions. As posted previously, a large amount of concussions occur from checks not to the head. If you look at women’s hockey and lower tier hockey you can see that hockey can be played without body checking. Body checking really is an unnecessary risk.

But we all like it because it’s exciting, even if it is causing damage to the health of the players everyone claims they care so much about.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
More people get hurt in the bathtub than by bazookas. Therefor we shouldn't stop the average Joe from getting bazookas until we confiscate all bathtubs.

Nice strawman.

hockey can be played without any sort of body checking. See: women’s hockey, lower level hockey leagues.

All body checking is unnecessary when you really think about it. And if everyone claims to care about the health and well-being of the players then we should just ban it all. From the large amount of concussions that occur from it (both head checks and checks to the body) to the various shoulder/knee/clavicle injuries, we should really hold every players hand and take away that risk for them so they can be SAFE

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
And the "admiring your pass" nonsense is some of the dumbest shit ever. He passed to his left, the play was to his left, he was following the play, and the hit came from blindside right.

This is what I liked the least about the hit. How could Moynihan possibly have seen that hit coming? It was absolutely a blindside hit. It would have been an unnecessary hit even if the head wasn't the primary point of contact. Just a bad hit all around by a frustrated kid, super dangerous, and not welcome in today's game.

Reactions: c9gunner

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Nice strawman.

hockey can be played without any sort of body checking. See: women’s hockey, lower level hockey leagues.

All body checking is unnecessary when you really think about it. And if everyone claims to care about the health and well-being of the players then we should just ban it all. From the large amount of concussions that occur from it (both head checks and checks to the body) to the various shoulder/knee/clavicle injuries, we should really hold every players hand and take away that risk for them so they can be SAFE
Not a strawman. An analogy.

All bathtubs can be removed. If you don't want to remove bathtubs then don't pretend to care about people getting hurt.

I mean, the fact that you can't see that in every endeavor there are inherent risks. Some of those risks are deemed acceptable, and when accidents happen we feel bad but it's not going to necessarily stop us from taking those risks. People die on the highway everyday, and we could all use horses or walk to where we going. But instead we drive and try to pass laws that make doing so as safe as possible but knowing that there will still be risks, accidents, injuries and deaths.

Same with hockey and your false posturing is ridiculous. One can be against elbows to the head and be for clean checks. It's a logical fallacy to say that one must include the other.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Not a strawman. An analogy.

All bathtubs can be removed. If you don't want to remove bathtubs then don't pretend to care about people getting hurt.

I mean, the fact that you can't see that in every endeavor there are inherent risks. Some of those risks are deemed acceptable, and when accidents happen we feel bad but it's not going to necessarily stop us from taking those risks. People die on the highway everyday, and we could all use horses or walk to where we going. But instead we drive and try to pass laws that make doing so as safe as possible but knowing that there will still be risks, accidents, injuries and deaths.

Same with hockey and your false posturing is ridiculous. One can be against elbows to the head and be for clean checks. It's a logical fallacy to say that one must include the other.

You're using ridiculous analogies when you can look at the numbers right in your face. Hockey can exist without body checking = fact. In fact it's played in the Olympics. Why not take out all the risk of head injuries that everyone is clamouring about?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

All body checking is unnecessary when you really think about it. And if everyone claims to care about the health and well-being of the players then we should just ban it all.

I have, plenty, and it's not what I want the NHL to emulate. Banning hitting would remove an enormous amount of intensity.

See: Women's hockey, lower level hockey leagues...

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I have, plenty, and it's not what I want the NHL to emulate. Banning hitting would remove an enormous amount of intensity.

See: Women's hockey, lower level hockey leagues...

It's exactly my point. Hitting is exciting. People enjoy hitting... but only to the extent that they deem "safe". Even when statistics say most of the concussions in the NHL come from body checks with no head contact. It's just not a conversation people want to have because they want to pretend that they "care" for these people

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm a Russian who couldn't care less about the team USA and I think this guy should be suspended for the entire tourney.
Well we don’t like the same hockey obviously.

He may be suspended like that being an iihf tournament. Just saying if it was the nhl I wouldn’t be demanding or even expecting one.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's exactly my point. Hitting is exciting. People enjoy hitting... but only to the extent that they deem "safe". Even when statistics say most of the concussions in the NHL come from body checks with no head contact. It's just not a conversation people want to have because they want to pretend that they "care" for these people

Care to provide those statistics?

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad