Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Game-6.png

*Time listed above is Mountain Time

full

USA
Confirmed Tournament Roster

Forwards:
Matthew Beniers, University of Michigan (NCAA)
Brett Berard, Providence College (NCAA)
Matthew Boldy, Boston College (NCAA)
Bobby Brink, University of Denver (NCAA)
Brendan Brisson, University of Michigan (NCAA)
Cole Caufield, University of Wisconsin (NCAA)
Sam Colangelo, Northeastern University (NCAA)
John Farinacci, Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)
Arthur Kaliyev, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)
Patrick Moynihan, Providence College (NCAA)
Landon Slaggert, University of Notre Dame (NCAA)
Alex Turcotte, University of Wisconsin (NCAA)
Trevor Zegras, Boston University (NCAA)
Defencemen:
Brock Faber, University of Minnesota (NCAA)
Drew Helleson, Boston College (NCAA)
Ryan Johnson, University of Minnesota (NCAA)
Tyler Kleven, University of North Dakota (NCAA)
Jackson LaCombe, University of Minnesota (NCAA)
Jake Sanderson, University of North Dakota (NCAA)
Hunter Skinner, London Knights (OHL)
Henry Thrun, Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)
Cam York, University of Michigan (NCAA)
Goaltenders:
Spencer Knight, Boston College (NCAA)
Logan Stein, Ferris State University (NCAA)
Dustin Wolf, Everett Silvertips (WHL)

full

Austria
Extended Camp Roster

Forwards:
Mathias Bohm, Vienna Capitals
Kilian Fruhwirt, Steel Wings Linz
Tim Harnisch, Red Bull Salzburg
Maximilian Hengelmuller, Red Bull Salzburg
Fabian Hochegger, KAC Klagenfurt
Adem Kandemir, EC Bregenzerwald
Marco Kasper, Rogle Angelholm (SWE)
Clemens Krainz, Graz 99ers
Oskar Maier, Red Bull Salzburg
Julian Pauschenwein, Graz 99ers
Senna Peeters, Rogle Angelholm (SWE)
Lukas Pohl, Steel Wings Linz
Marco Rossi, ZSC Lions Zurich (SUI)
Lucas Thaler, Mora IK (SWE)
Maximilian Theirich, KAC Klagenfurt
Marlon Tschofen, EHC Kloten (SUI)
Dominik Unterweger, VEU Feldkirch
Finn van Ee, KAC Klagenfurt
Leon Wallner, Sodertalje SK (SWE)
Defencemen:
Jonas Kutzer, Dornbirner EC
Lorenz Lindner, KAC Klagenfurt
Luis Lindner, Boston Junior Bruins (NCDC)
Moritz Molls, Okanagan Hockey Club
Lukas Necesany, Red Bull Salzburg
Timo Pallierer, Vienna Capitals
Jacob Pfeffer, Graz 99ers
Bernhard Posch, EC Bregenzerwald
Christoph Tialler, KAC Klagenfurt
Niklas Wetzl, TUTO Turku
Philipp Wimmer, Red Bull Salzburg
Kilian Zundel, Red Bull Salzburg
Goaltenders:
Felix Beck, EC Bregenzerwald
Jakob Brandner, Kotkan Titaanit (FIN)
Alois Schultes, Red Bull Salzburg
Leon Sommer, Steel Wings Linz
Sebastian Wraneschitz, Vienna Capitals

Do not ask for or provide links to illegal streams.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Today's result was pretty much the worst case scenario for Austria. USA is going to be angry, and Rossi, and Peters isn't going to get in their way anytime soon. 9-0 USA

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
From what I heard from the USA coach he's going to stick with the original plan and play Wolf in this game and come back with Knight for the tough games.
... dumb move. I put it on par with Dave Tippet continually wanting to play Mike Smith AND going out re-signing for another year to give him another chance at redemption.
The USA will probably win this game but they're not going to win many more with Knight as their #1 goalie... his flaws are being exposed against this level of competition.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
From what I heard from the USA coach he's going to stick with the original plan and play Wolf in this game and come back with Knight for the tough games.
... dumb move. I put it on par with Dave Tippet continually wanting to play Mike Smith AND going out re-signing for another year to give him another chance at redemption.
The USA will probably win this game but they're not going to win many more with Knight as their #1 goalie... his flaws are being exposed against this level of competition.
It's not that bad, it's round-robin after all and one game is one game. If Knight screws up the 2nd one too it's Wolf in the quarters. Actually, there is a fair point to be made that saying "USA aren't gonna win many more with Knight" based on 1 game is even dumber.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It's not that bad, it's round-robin after all and one game is one game. If Knight screws up the 2nd one too it's Wolf in the quarters. Actually, there is a fair point to be made that saying "USA aren't gonna win many more with Knight" based on 1 game is even dumber.
Two games actually. Sure the first doesn't count but he didn't plsy well in that one either.
The guy has let in 6 goals in 19 shots. Wolf hasn't let in one in 19 shots.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Two games actually. Sure the first doesn't count but he didn't plsy well in that one either.
The guy has let in 6 goals in 19 shots. Wolf hasn't let in one in 19 shots.
Yes but the group stage doesn't mean anything in the big picture, no reason to go into panic mode and deviate from the original plan.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yes but the group stage doesn't mean anything in the big picture, no reason to go into panic mode and deviate from the original plan.
Enjoy watching another team win a gold medal. This is a very short tournament where a couple of losses can really put the team behind the eight ball... particularly with regards to who you have to face in the crossover quarter finals. Do you really want to play Canada in the quarter finals? Its not like the teams USA plays in the round robin are all easy wins.
And after all.. Team USA doesn't exactly have someone like Mike Smith as a backup goalie and all you can do is pray your #1 gets his shit together before its too late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wings4Life

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This will be a pounding. US has a lot of high end skill, that when given time and space creates scoring. These players are exceptional against weak competition.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I would have put Knight back in for this game to either rebuild his confidence or if he still struggles, gain clarity as to the fact that Wolf now has the net. It’s a difficult situation to have your anointed starter struggle in his first outing. The question is are you a true believer in Knight’s ability or not?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I would have put Knight back in for this game to either rebuild his confidence or if he still struggles, gain clarity as to the fact that Wolf now has the net. It’s a difficult situation to have your anointed starter struggle in his first outing. The question is are you a true believer in Knight’s ability or not?
How badly can he struggle against Austria? It will be an easy win for the USA and whoever is in goal won't have to stop many quality scoring chances.
Besides, the original plan was for Wolf to play Austria and go back to Knight for the CZE game... and I hear they sticking to the plan despite Knight's poor play.

Reactions: Luckylarry

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Enjoy watching another team win a gold medal. This is a very short tournament where a couple of losses can really put the team behind the eight ball... particularly with regards to who you have to face in the crossover quarter finals. Do you really want to play Canada in the quarter finals?
First of all, why are you assuming I'm American? I would enjoy watching another team win and I don't care who does the USA play in the quarters.

All I know, you started the first sentence talking about gold - well, if you want that gold medal, you have to beat the best teams so who you play in the quarters hardly matters. Furthermore, if you want the gold medal, managing your goalie's workload at least somewhat is a good idea. You are suggesting the USA should let *the better goalie* play 5 games in 8 days. So is your goal to win gold or get through quarters? Because if it's the former, that's ridiculous.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
How badly can he struggle against Austria? It will be an easy win for the USA and whoever is in goal won't have to stop many quality scoring chances.
Besides, the original plan was for Wolf to play Austria and go back to Knight for the CZE game... and I hear they sticking to the plan despite Knight's poor play.
Yeah, it’s tough. If the Czech game comes first then it makes sense. If it’s Sweden first, you already need this sh*t figured out. You’re right that neither goalie would get a real test vs Austria, but to put up a clean sheet and just spend some time on the ice in a comfortable position can go a long way in getting Knight back on track.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I'm generally okay with going with Wolf instead of Knight, but his flaws are being exposed? People overreact to this tournament. Maybe Knight will be one of very many good players who sucks at this tournament over the years, but I think he's one of the best players at this competition, so I'm not sure this level of competition is the issue.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don't think thats the question. Wolf is also really good. I don't think anyone serious doubts Knight's ability, and that he'll most likely bounce back and have a great tournament. But if he's in bad form, and we've now seen this in the exhibition and the loss to Russia, we have another very good goalie whose more than capable. I don't think there's any deeper question. I think its a matter of how long Knight's leash is, considering Wolf is pretty good and would likely do a very good job.

Reactions: Statsy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
First of all, why are you assuming I'm American? I would enjoy watching another team win and I don't care who does the USA play in the quarters.

All I know, you started the first sentence talking about gold - well, if you want that gold medal, you have to beat the best teams so who you play in the quarters hardly matters. Furthermore, if you want the gold medal, managing your goalie's workload at least somewhat is a good idea. You are suggesting the USA should let *the better goalie* play 5 games in 8 days. So is your goal to win gold or get through quarters? Because if it's the former, that's ridiculous.
Let Knight play against Austria and then have Wolf play the rest of the games. That would be 5 games in 11 days for Wolf assuming the USA goes all the way to the finals. Wolf should have no problem with that work load.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
That would be 5 games in 11 days for Wolf assuming the USA goes all the way to the finals. Wolf should have no problem with that work load.
How does this math work???? He would be playing 5 games from December 29th to January 5th. That is 8 days.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
How does this math work???? He would be playing 5 games from December 29th to January 5th. That is 8 days.
Last I heard, today is Dec 26. Dec 26 to Jan 5 is 11 days and the only b2b days are Jan 4 and Jan 5.

TeamDec 25Dec 26Dec 27Dec 28Dec 29Dec 30Dec 31Jan 1Jan 2Jan 3Jan 4Jan 5
AUTUSA (9:30)SWE (6:00)RUS (9:30)CZE (2:00)TBDTBDTBD
CANGER (6:00)SVK (6:00)SUI (6:00)FIN (6:00)TBDTBDTBD
CZESWE (2:00)RUS (9:30)USA (2:00)AUT (2:00)TBDTBDTBD
FINGER (6:00)SUI (2:00)SVK (2:00)CAN (6:00)TBDTBDTBD
GERFIN (6:00)CAN (6:00)SVK (9:30)SUI (6:00)TBDTBDTBD
RUSUSA (9:30)CZE (9:30)AUT (9:30)SWE (9:30)TBDTBDTBD
SUISVK (2:00)FIN (2:00)CAN (6:00)GER (6:00)TBDTBDTBD
SVKSUI (2:00)CAN (6:00)GER (9:30)FIN (2:00)TBDTBDTBD
SWECZE (2:00)AUT (6:00)RUS (9:30)USA (9:30)TBDTBDTBD
USARUS (9:30)AUT (9:30)CZE (2:00)SWE (9:30)TBDTBDTB
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Last I heard, today is Dec 26. Dec 26 to Jan 5 is 11 days and the only b2b days are Jan 4 and Jan 5.
I'm sure it would be of great comfort to the goalie playing his 5th game in 8 days to know we had this conversation on the 26th, 3 days before his workload started. Nice table btw.

Reactions: Statsy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm sure it would be of great comfort to the goalie playing his 5th game in 8 days to know we had this conversation on the 26th, 3 days before his workload started. Nice table btw.
Well this is all moot anyways. I doubt the USA will be playing on Jan 5.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Can someone explain to me why Bobby Brink is on this team? and still more...why was he on last year's team?

He's tiny - and he's a bottom 6 player on these teams. Wouldn't USA have been better suited putting a larger player in his roster spot...more of a bottom-6 type of role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad