Player Discussion Urho Vaakanainen

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
He produces the same, he plays the same, he's an ok bottom pairing defender with a lot of flaws which is what he was here. Pick almost any other ex-Duck to make this point
He wasn’t an ok bottom pairing defender, he was waived by one of the worst teams in NHL history.
Went from an AHL d-man to a bottom pairing on a very good panthers team.
Matthieu Schneider and Kent Huskins were +22 and +23 in ‘08-09. Pronger was -1, Neidermayer was -2, and Beauchemin was -9.
I wasn’t the one who originally brought up plus minus to prove my point.

I was pointing out how the argument really dosent work with Mahura since he did have a good plus minus last year

QuackAttack90

Nov 29, 2011
Urho’s goal has been switched to Henrique’s. A bit of a bummer but hopefully he’ll get another one soon

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There is zero offense to Vaakanainen and never will be. Think Toni Lydman

What a great outcome that would be for us if he became that and I honestly don’t think it’s impossible

Ya him and leason have been pleasant surprises this year, guys I wasn’t really expecting much from.

Reactions: QuackAttack90

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Unless there is a trade, I'm not sure he'll be extended. Probably already behind Fowler, Mintyukov, and LaCombe. With Zellweger and Hinds at SD.
You wouldn't qualify him? His QO is less than a million and I doubt he gets anything too exorbitant in arbitration? Might as well keep him around as depth and trade him when he gets pushed out

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
You wouldn't qualify him? His QO is less than a million and I doubt he gets anything too exorbitant in arbitration? Might as well keep him around as depth and trade him when he gets pushed out
I might qualify him if I saw a role for him in the future. I think he's a competent 3rd pairing D. But if he's just going to sit in the press box, what's the point? With Verbeek seemingly nixing the LaCombe on his off side experiment, Vaaks is already scratch bait.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I might qualify him if I saw a role for him in the future. I think he's a competent 3rd pairing D. But if he's just going to sit in the press box, what's the point? With Verbeek seemingly nixing the LaCombe on his off side experiment, Vaaks is already scratch bait.
Even if he ends up being the 7D, still don’t know why that means we should move on. Rather have him in that role than some plug

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Even if he ends up being the 7D, still don’t know why that means we should move on. Rather have him in that role than some plug
Can't argue with your logic. Just would rather develop guys that actually might have a role when Ducks are again competitive.

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
Can't argue with your logic. Just would rather develop guys that actually might have a role when Ducks are again competitive.
There's probably a world where establishing and maintaining Vaaks as a reliable and relatively inexpensive third pairing guy is seen as more valuable to the organization long term than filling the whole defense with flashy studs we can't afford. Not sure if it's this world or not, but it's possible.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don’t know that the LaCombe on his off side has been nixed. I think it’s only appropriate to say that LaCombe on his off side on the top pairing has been paused, possibly temporarily, possibly permanently.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Vaaks is starting to look like that solid middle pairing defenceman we thought we were getting when we traded Lindholm. I think he's played more then well enough to the point the question has shifted from, when is he being traded to him possibly being apart of the defensive core.

LaCombe is only a rookie so plenty of time (though Vaaks is only 2 years older and only has 50ish more games played), but if his offence doesn't develop......I like Vaaks' defensive game alot more then LaCombe's.

I believe I saw someone here state he is sort of like a Lydman type of defenceman, and I like that comparison. Those are the sort of defenceman you win with as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad