NESN UPDATE - NESN’s Jack Edwards announces retirement

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
On kind of a selfish note, I get emotional thinking about the years that have passed by since Edwards starting calling games for the Bruins. All those life moments, both big and small. He's been in our lives for 7/8 months out of the year for three decades now.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Jack Edwards has narrated the greatest era of Bruins hockey in my lifetime.

"The building is vibrating" really ushered in this nearly two-decade long run of success, and he's been the voice of all of it. Yeah, he's over the top, he's a homer, but for Bruins fans, he's *our* homer. The moments - Horton's winner against the Habs, "the point of the dagger" against the Leafs, the Dallas brawls - he punctuated and narrated and will live with many Bruins fans for a long time are a testament to that. His theater background certainly played into that - he understood how to be entertaining and that it's a game and deep down, it's fun and entertainment.

Fundamentally, he was a very good play-by-play announcer in his prime. As a broadcaster myself, I've often subconsciously, picked up a lot from him just because I've listened to him do so many games (even though my announce style is quite a bit different) and those phrases - like "serpentine route" just seep into the vocabulary.

Enjoy retirement, Jack. It's well-deserved.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I've always liked Brick but perhaps it's time for him to hang 'em up, too. Times change, and a reset may be in order.

It was a great run, and as a Bruins fan, I loved Jack (most of the time).

Never gave a fig per critics elsewhere.

He also got in "Serpentine route."

I must say, as with "Layers," I won't miss "Catch and release."
Brickley has been around since pre-Jack Edwards correct? Boston sports have been extremely fortunate.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This feels sad. Clearly Jack could not go on doing this with his speaking issues, but he really should have had another decade in front of him. I'll miss him.

• Love
Reactions: Alicat and BMC

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Whats missed by many are Jacks years working for ESPN sportscenter, as well as his calls of team USA soccer games. I noticed this was left out of most articles announcing his retirement. Personally, he made soccer games more interesting for me, as I tend to detest that sport.

If you look at a lot of the greats, they didn't just call one sport - they did multiple. I think those years are long past and most younger types focus on a single sport now.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Are they allowed to offer him a contract if he's signed with another broadcasting network? I'm not sure how that world works.

I'm sure they have reached out to his agent on the back channels. Gaucher doesn't have any kids from what I can see and still has a summer home in Rhode Island, which makes a move more easier in terms of logistics. I don't know what sort of contract he currently has. There's usually some sort of clause regarding resignations or contract termination in those sorts of deals. Ill do some digging with my media contacts to gather more info. Stay tuned.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
My favorite Jack call might be when Alex Henry fought Shawn Thornton. Go watch that, I was in tears. Guy just shredded Henry.

Better yet... here...

lol.
It would take him the whole game to get that rant out now.
That was a classic though. I remember that game. Bruins were dominant that year.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I thought this was funny
1713481449300.png

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Wonder if they'll try to bring Goucher home

This would be the best move for NESN to land an easy win. The most likely scenario unfortunately is the dull baseball style voice many teams seem to have, but that is a different topic perhaps.

The Bruins published a nice tribute video on YouTube, worth watching.

My favorite Jack call might be when Alex Henry fought Shawn Thornton. Go watch that, I was in tears. Guy just shredded Henry.

Better yet... here...

This is historical tier commentary!

Personally either "this building is vibrating" or the Horton OT Game 7 goal call vs Montreal are my favorites for the pure passion he brought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad