NESN UPDATE - NESN’s Jack Edwards announces retirement

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
3 weeks ago the LA Kings parted ways with play-by-play announcer Alex Faust.

Faust is no stranger to Boston or NESN and is only 34.

Tom Werner is very familiar with his work and he calls a good game.

NESN doesn't want to fire Jack and I sense they want him to take over Dale Arnold's role.

But Faust is now a free agent and he has Boston DNA............

Many want Dave Goucher to return but he told Chad Finn last week he has adapted to living in Vegas.

“The quality of life is great,” said Goucher, who lives in Red Rock Canyon area, 20 minutes away from downtown Las Vegas and The Strip.

“The weather’s great. There’s no real traffic. It’s not like the traffic back home, it’s not like legitimate traffic. Here, 20 minutes is usually 20 minutes, not 20 minutes turning into three days.

“I drive five minutes, literally five minutes to our practice rink. There’s a Dunkin’s in Boston every block, every block and a half. Here, there’s one on the way. So, if I stop there, that’s seven minutes to the practice rink.”

The harsh reality is age has caught up to Jack.

:popcorn:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I love Jack but there are obvious health issues going on and it is time to change his role. It is a harsh reality as you said Fenway, and very sad. Chances are the problem with his speech is not going to improve and will only get worse. I do hope they can work with him to keep him involved with NESN and the Bruins.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I like Jack but there is clearly some health/ speech issue. If you listen to games he called years ago it there is quite a difference.

It sucks for Jack as he loves the Bs and even if you were not a fan I hope you can appreciate how sad this will be for him. No one can deny that he loves hockey and the Bs.

I wish Dave Goucher would come back but it doesn't sound like he will.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Love Jack but it is clear he struggled greatly this season. His passion for the game and the Bruins can never be replaced. He can drive me nuts but I love Jack and he has been gracious every time I've met him. He loves his job and he loves the fans.

I they do move on from him I hope the Bruins and NESN do something to honor him.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Never been a big fan. Way to much of a homer, and I found myself watching the away broadcast the majority of the times. The only times I'd switch back is when the opponents feed were total homerism as well.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Never been a Jack edwards fan as an announcer(those damn 20 second long metaphors while 7 other plays happen and those crazy tangents lol), but he has an undeniable passion for the game and you can tell he beyond loves what he does, I just hope he is well and if he is done I hope the best for him.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
maybe give him a few minute segment in period 2 intermission during the 100th anniversary season instead of the play by play? It would suck to dump him completely during this upcoming season. "Jerks with Jack" segment similar to the Don Cherry's "The Grapevine" but with Jack it would be nice, goofy, verbose, homerism at it's finest.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
3 weeks ago the LA Kings parted ways with play-by-play announcer Alex Faust.

Faust is no stranger to Boston or NESN and is only 34.

Tom Werner is very familiar with his work and he calls a good game.

NESN doesn't want to fire Jack and I sense they want him to take over Dale Arnold's role.

But Faust is now a free agent and he has Boston DNA............

Many want Dave Goucher to return but he told Chad Finn last week he has adapted to living in Vegas.

“The quality of life is great,” said Goucher, who lives in Red Rock Canyon area, 20 minutes away from downtown Las Vegas and The Strip.

“The weather’s great. There’s no real traffic. It’s not like the traffic back home, it’s not like legitimate traffic. Here, 20 minutes is usually 20 minutes, not 20 minutes turning into three days.

“I drive five minutes, literally five minutes to our practice rink. There’s a Dunkin’s in Boston every block, every block and a half. Here, there’s one on the way. So, if I stop there, that’s seven minutes to the practice rink.”

The harsh reality is age has caught up to Jack.

:popcorn:

Faust seems decent. I don't know why Sirott isn't an option, but sure. Why not? Let's give the hometown kid a shot calling the hometown team. Just give me anyone with a pulse that can make the game halfway listenable, at bare minimum, in comparison to what Jack Edwards is doing. Because my God, my ears could use some relief from the sound Jack's nails on a chalkboard voice ruining games with his less than stellar play by play and terrible references and jokes that go nowhere interspersed with his boring homerism shtick and constant bitching about NESN management.

Reactions: sarge88

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have never been a fan to say the least, and with his speech and memory problems, it would be a good time to replace Jack. Faust is smooth and good-if bland. Don't think he is a match for the market though. Much as it pains me, this market probably needs a bit of a homer.
@quietbruinfan - Faust had an impossible task taking over from Bob Miller and was accepted in LA.

Curt Gowdy took the Patriots radio job at the age of 68 and it was so bad he was replaced by a young Dale Arnold and Gowdy was a legend but couldn't do it anymore.

Jack is 67 and he is not the same. NESN has to look long-term and Faust is 34 and is a known quality to them.

Father Time is cruel :cry:

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
Love him or hate him, he is a legend in the pantheon of Boston sports pbp guys. For a while there he could be a full blown maniac AND call a good game. I really believe he's one of the best ever. But he was really cooked this year. It wasn't good most nights.

I don't want somebody with "just a pulse." There are so many bland as f*** pbp guys out there. Please find somebody with a personality. Maybe not as rich as Jack, but somebody who can at least be a little bit entertaining.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Was never a fan, but wish him the best, health and career-wise.

I'd be really happy with Sirrot, but as someone else mentioned, it doesn't seem like that's an option at the moment.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I agreer with the previous sentiments about Jack, except I'm not in favor of having him do between-period segments. He's kind of reached the wince-provoking stage at times, and segments designed for him to spout off would only enhance that problem. My suggestion, though I have no idea if the money would work, is Sean McDonough. Guy has local roots, knows and loves hockey, and did a terrific job in the playoffs, at least the games I could stand to watch.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I think it is time for him to stop broadcasting, this season was tough at times, but I do hope they keep him around in some fashion. He’d be a good fit for the Dale role.

Reactions: Gordoff

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I was always in a love/hate way with him. On the whole he did a very good job. But when you have multiple intances and many people noticing very uncomfortable moments during a live broadcast it is time to move on from him.

Reactions: lopey

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Huge fan of Jack in his prime. Past few years or so it's obvious something is ailing him and affecting his speech. It is time for a new voice.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Jack can be very entertaining even if it's a bit embarrasing. Like others have mentioned, he appears to have a health issue and it's probably best if NESN moves on from him.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
For me, Jack has been the most enjoyable PBP caller of my hockey watching life. That said, it is time for him to retire or move to another role. His slip ups are not just occasional anymore, they have impacted his ability to do this particular job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad