NESN UPDATE - NESN’s Jack Edwards announces retirement

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Nothing is known to be wrong, very different than nothing is wrong.

Also, few announce it early as Gorman has although he is even more tenured.

Jack Edwards doesn't need the spotlight in the Bruins 100th year... this way is best.
If either of you followed my opinion of Jack in this thread, you would know I commented last season about his problems and ho I thought something was wrong. I hope he is okay, but the time is now to move on.
Don't be offended, if we took a survey, I'd be surprised if it wasn't 50/50, glad or sad. It's JMHO.

I'm not alone, I just speak my mind. I hope nothing for the best for Jack Edwards in retirement.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think it was 2002 when I first heard Jack Edwards call a hockey game on ESPN 2. I remember talking to PurpleShamrock about how this guy Edwards would be perfect as a Bruins PbP guy and that I really liked his radio style of giving extra detail to the play on the ice. I'm so glad it happened and I got to hear it all.

Thank you for everything, Jack. You were awesome on the mic and even more awesome in person.

If you need any idea of the quality of person Edwards is, look at the way his colleagues in the booth are looking at him right now in his post game interview.

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
The best to do it in Bruins country. I know, I know, Wilson, Cusick, Shea (I kid!) but Edwards in his prime was a savant-poet-madman and though whoever comes next will be a step up from what Edwards has been recently, they will pale in comparison to the man in his prime. Love him or hate him, we had it really good here for a long time.

I wish him nothing but the best going forward. What a run. I hope he waves a flag in the playoffs and gets to stick around. He deserves it.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I wonder if Brick stays on for continuity or if he becomes collateral damage as NESN cleans house altogether for a younger announce team (Goucher & Hnidy come to mind)

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
I was 9 when Jack started calling the B's games... grew up watching him and never really knew anyone else. As kids we loved him and I still do now as an adult. It's time, but it'll be very weird watching the B's without his calls

Thank you for everything Jack! The passion and excitement rubbed off on many and helped make me a lifelong fan. I'm sure they'll get someone good, but it'll never be the same

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
There will never be another Jack, I will miss him immensely. It is such a shame that the end of his career was caused by a speech issue that is unexplainable. The pain that he must be feeling is unfathomable to me.

I wish him all the best, he is a good man and his heart is broken, as is mine.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I hinted for months what the plan was.

Charlie Jacobs told Werner Jack was going to work the 100th season.

BTW this year there has been a change in NESN policy as before now the Red Sox ALWAYS got the main NESN channel UNLESS it was a Bruins playoff game but last night the Red Sox were sent to NESN plus.

NBC Sports Boston is on life support and might well merge with NESN. NBC is planning to close NBC Sports Chicago at the end of the White Sox season.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Liked Jack, sometimes a bit too corny, met him once, very friendly. He likely is suffering from damage in Broca's area, located in the left hemisphere of the brain, is responsible for speech production and articulation. Damage to Broca's area can cause slurred speech, which is called non-fluent aphasia. Other symptoms include: Difficulty producing speech, Speaking slowly, and Speech limited to short sentences. Difficult to locate the lesion responsible and may never be found.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’m in a weird place over this, as I can’t think of one person who I think is as good a person as Jack is, who I share a huge common interest/love with, but who I’ve never, ever liked their work.

I wish him the best, but I’m ecstatic that I’ll hopefully never hear penalty bench, the coin that won’t get tossed or tumbling muffin (among others) again.

• Love
Reactions: jgatie

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I’m in a weird place over this, as I can’t think of one person who I think is as good a person as Jack is, who I share a huge common interest/love with, but who I’ve never, ever liked their work.

I wish him the best, but I’m ecstatic that I’ll hopefully never hear penalty bench, the coin that won’t get tossed or tumbling muffin (among others) again.

I concur. Never liked his work, but that's a subjective thing, and never thought it reflected on the man himself. I do wish him good luck in the future.

Reactions: sarge88

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Girl I grew up with got cancer, Jack had her in the booth to call part of the game and from what I understand he attended her wake when she passed. He cares about our community. Just a high quality guy, we were fortunate to have him be the voice of the org for a couple decades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad