NESN UPDATE - NESN’s Jack Edwards announces retirement

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Mixed feelings over this, there is no denying that Jack loved the Bruins and loved calling the games, but the time has come for him to move on, he just can't do it anymore. I wish him all the best in his retirement for his health and family as well. I am sure he will be back from time to time as a guest in the broadcast booth.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I've said it several times... Jack has declined, perhaps significantly, but not to the level fans here micromanage his stutters and slower speech. Listening to broadcast teams around the league, he brings passion and emotion many are lacking. Nashville sounds bored. Washington screeches. Florida/Tampa are horrific. Colorado extremely homer, more so than NESN. Canadian broadcasts and Vegas are the only two without pause better than NESN. Perhaps Seattle.

One heck of a career and a very memorable number of years with the Bruins specifically.

May he enjoy a health filled retirement and remain close to the Bruins.

Hairz

Mar 22, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Not sure how Jack will be able to hold himself together tonight.

I assume he will continue on in the playoffs. Regardless, I am really looking forward to taking it all in tonight.

What a legend! Always loved listening to him, always entertaining. Will always be the voice of the Bruins.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Oh man. I get why it happened obviously. As someone said though, it definetly won't be the same. He was OUR homer, yes, which is significant, but he also had a wit to his PBP that other homers around the league just lack. That's why his calls got league-wide attention- had he just been someone who pumps his team's tires in a cookie-cutter way, it would've gotten lost in the shuffle. He kind of was the Marchand in the booth.

I'm glad he provided lots of memorable Bruin moments with memorable calls over the years, and he damn sure produced lots of memorable calls in moments that weren't special on their own. I can't call him the Bruins voice of my childhood or anything, as I started watching the Bs as a 16 year old in Germany in 09/10, but he's the only Bruins voice I've known. I loved his antics from the start and even as his PBP got less up to speed, I never stopped feeling "at home" when watching the Bruins with him on the call. It's the way things go, lots of people we love have left the Bruins over the years, but it's sad nonetheless. Crazy that a sports team announcer could mean so much to you, but here we are.

I could really go for a spin on the old Jack Edwards soundboard right about now, but I don't think it's online anymore.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I hated Edwards style from the get-go…but as I’ve said in the past he grew on me as sort of the annoying little brother hanging with the big kids. He may drive you nuts, but he’s family.

I guess this happened a handful of years back, on a Canada road trip, where the Bruins were done raw and unapologetic by the refs. Hardcore. Irrefutable.

Jack and Brick went off on them. The league said tone it down, and while Brick made a noted effort, you could tell, Jack refused to clam up when the road trip ended with another pathetic screw job. He didn’t hold back telling the truth. He fired away.

From that point on, he was part of the tribe as far as I’m concerned.

I thank him…and wish him all the best. He’ll be a Bruin for life.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
My very best to Jack. Thank you for all the years of fun and passion. No one can compete with you on the passion front. No one. Hope you are healthy and well. We all know you’ve lost your fastball, but in the day you were truly the best out there.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
May he RIP (retire in peace ✌️). Great and at times cringeworthy memories but they all made him and the experience what it was. Like a long term relationship you just roll with it, good and bad. A B’s lifer and hats off to him for his passion for the B’s, the players, and the fans.

Reactions: BMC

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
With all of Jack’s struggles to decide to retire he still speaks better than this post.
You're entitled to be fanboy, I respect that, just as I can express my happiness that it time to move on.
Announcing your retirement on the last day of the season wrecks of a MGMT decision.
As opposed to how the Celtic and community have treated Mike Gorman for the entire last year of his career.
You're sentimental, I'm a realist, we need both in life. I'd be fine having a beer and talking with Jack, face to face, and treat him with the respect he deserves as a human. I don't get sentimental over someone's profession that has had it performance slipping and IMHO was not that great to begin with.
I don't feel bad about my opinion or posting it. All forums come down to "man yelling from his lawn".
We all take turns rowing against the current. You'll just have to hit the ignore button, because I'm not changing.
Go Bruins!!!

PS: according to him and his DR's nothing is wrong with him.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Mixed feelings over this, there is no denying that Jack loved the Bruins and loved calling the games, but the time has come for him to move on, he just can't do it anymore. I wish him all the best in his retirement for his health and family as well. I am sure he will be back from time to time as a guest in the broadcast booth.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Going to miss prime Jack, but it's time...

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
You're entitled to be fanboy, I respect that, just as I can express my happiness that it time to move on.
Announcing your retirement on the last day of the season wrecks of a MGMT decision.
As opposed to how the Celtic and community have treated Mike Gorman for the entire last year of his career.
You're sentimental, I'm a realist, we need both in life. I'd be fine having a beer and talking with Jack, face to face, and treat him with the respect he deserves as a human. I don't get sentimental over someone's profession that has had it performance slipping and IMHO was not that great to begin with.
I don't feel bad about my opinion or posting it. All forums come down to "man yelling from his lawn".
We all take turns rowing against the current. You'll just have to hit the ignore button, because I'm not changing.
Go Bruins!!!

PS: according to him and his DR's nothing is wrong with him.

Nothing is known to be wrong, very different than nothing is wrong.

Also, few announce it early as Gorman has although he is even more tenured.

Jack Edwards doesn't need the spotlight in the Bruins 100th year... this way is best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad