NESN UPDATE - NESN’s Jack Edwards announces retirement

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I'm not young and I can't speak for all of my colleagues, but I've been doing PXP for years at various levels (including minor pro hockey). Maybe this is the benefit of age and having spent years "paying my dues." There are very few NHL gigs out there and, yes, that is the goal for every single one of us, especially for an Original Six team. My "break" came about because of a similar situation, and I was both simultaneously grateful for the opportunity but had a pit in my stomach about taking over for someone I *really* looked up to (and someone who remains a friend).

I take no offense to someone who has been an institution with a team still holding the job, even if he's dealing with speech issues. Would I love to have an opportunity to jump to the show? Absolutely, but I'm not losing sleep at night because it hasn't happened yet. Do I believe I could hack it in the NHL or the higher levels? Definitely, but again, I don't lose sleep over the fact that I'm in the minors and others have gotten breaks or are holding what for me would be a dream job. I hope I'm given similar consideration when Father Time catches up to me, which hopefully won't be for a long time.

What frustrates me and a lot of us more is the fact that some teams are beginning to skimp on broadcasting by combining their radio & TV into one simulcast (the Kings and Hurricanes have done so recently - which led to really talented radio broadcasters like Chuck Kaiton and Alex Faust losing their roles. The Stars have been doing it for years).
I much rather see a fan (and professional PxP) guy like you, get the Bruins gig when Jack retires. Not a person who switches team/allegiances to the highest bidder. I hope that when the job opens up, whether it's within a month or a few years you get a chance to make your case.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Cusack was 76 when he called this game (10 years older than Jack is now):

It's not just age, whatever it is, I hope they figure it out soon, for Jack's sake.

Fred C. and Bob Wilson were incredibly talented, gifted play callers. IIRC, in Freds case he fazed out? IOW, he would miss certain games like a road trip here and there in the last 2-3 years?

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
There is also the possibility of long covid, there are cases of these symptoms being reported. I don't know whether he has had it though.
Exactly what I was thinking of. Who knows what the effects of this novel virus had on our systems? They won't know in my generation, because people our age already have chronic changes due to age. But years or decades from now, it will be interesting to see what different conditions develop in the next generation.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Fred C. and Bob Wilson were incredibly talented, gifted play callers. IIRC, in Freds case he fazed out? IOW, he would miss certain games like a road trip here and there in the last 2-3 years?

My recollection is that both Fred and Derek retired at the same time, in 1997, the year the Bruins finished dead last in the NHL.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Fred exclusively did the away games at the end.

The sight lines in the new arenas were too difficult for him to call the action, and he switched to the AHL at the end.

Reactions: Gordoff

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'll settle for anyone that can competently call a game at this point. I've never been a big fan of Jack and his prewritten, hack diatribes, but now having the added negative of hearing him struggle just to get the words out has really impacted my enjoyment of the games.

Sounds like NESN will replace him with a golf/Baseball style PBP next. Thrilling.

I will enjoy Edwards while he lasts and tune out the times he misspeaks.

The slightest stutter and fans are on him now. There are times it is apparent (and even painful) and other times not so much. But fans are seeing it every sentence now.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sounds like NESN will replace him with a golf/Baseball style PBP next. Thrilling.

I will enjoy Edwards while he lasts and tune out the times he misspeaks.

The slightest stutter and fans are on him now. There are times it is apparent (and even painful) and other times not so much. But fans are seeing it every sentence now.
It's like once you hear it you can't unhear it. For example, they mentioned how Dave O'Brien has a really bad sibilant S whenever he says something with an S sound on Felger and Mazz and once I heard it, it's all I hear whenever he's calling the Sox game. It's weirdly annoying. I don't even try to focus on it, but it's so prominent that it's hard to hear anything but that. Same thing with hearing Jack stammer trying to get a sentence started. It's so frequent, you can't not help but hear it. I have a stadium setting on my sound bar that blocks out the announcer call and all you hear is crowd noise. When Jack is having a really rough night, I put it on that and it's a lot more enjoyable for me.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
It's like once you hear it you can't unhear it. For example, they mentioned how Dave O'Brien has a really bad sibilant S whenever he says something with an S sound on Felger and Mazz and once I heard it, it's all I hear whenever he's calling the Sox game. It's weirdly annoying. I don't even try to focus on it, but it's so prominent that it's hard to hear anything but that. Same thing with hearing Jack stammer trying to get a sentence started. It's so frequent, you can't not help but hear it. I have a stadium setting on my sound bar that blocks out the announcer call and all you hear is crowd noise. When Jack is having a really rough night, I put it on that and it's a lot more enjoyable for me.
You are trying so hard not to hear it that you do nothing but hear it.

Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

That sounds perfect for hockey even with NESN. What is the soundbar?

Reactions: Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
We’ve known all season that Mike Gorman was retiring from the Celtics’ broadcast.

They honored him on Sunday.

Any chance tomorrow could be Jack’s last regular season game?

Any chance of a surprise ceremony to thank the guy?
I have been over the top about criticizing Jack, and if he has a medical problem I should apologize, although I have ripped him in the past before all this happened with him, but I thought last night was to be honest brutal. May he should just try doing play by play and save himself for that rather than go off on these intolerable rants..........

Hairz

Mar 22, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
I think it is clear that his time has come. Someone else should be given the opportunity next season.

I just hope we send him off the right way. Many great years and calls with Jack. Always entertaining and his passion for the B's cant be matched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad