NESN UPDATE - NESN’s Jack Edwards announces retirement

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Good on Jack for admitting there is a problem with his speech although the lack of a diagnosis as to what is causing it is concerning. Maybe a trip to the Mayo Clinic is in order if MassGeneral can't figure it out.

Reactions: HustleB

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
If people actually read the entire article I cant see how one wouldnt find it sad and scary in a way.
It is sad and scary. I have a vision issue that is hard to describe - the closest thing I can explain it to is when a traffic camera shakes when it is windy. It first happened in 2020 when the first lockdown happened. I have passed every test - MRI, CT scan, numerous types of eye exams, have seen 3 neurologists including a neuro-ophthalmologist. They have no explanation but it is still happening. Terrifying if I let myself think too long about it because I have no idea if it will change for the worst. They tell me is "could" be stress and anxiety because they have no other answer. Four years later....

The brain is a mystery, Jack's case shows that and he has the best looking at his issues. I hope so much that he can recover, I can't imagine the frustration he suffers from every day.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
no paywall

Edwards hasn’t discussed the change publicly until now. In part, he says, because his doctors remain mystified about what has happened.

“I did not have some kind of accident,” he says. “I do not have cancer. I don’t have dementia. I haven’t had a stroke. All of that’s been confirmed by Mass. General neurology.

“They’ve done tests that seem like I’m going through some sort of science-fiction scene, but it’s really true. The images of my brain literally reveal nothing. That’s my joke with them.”

Edwards says he has been given no specific diagnosis or medical term for the change. He says he is in “robust” health and grades out as “superior” on intellect tests his doctors have given him.

“It doesn’t fit in any slot,” he says. “There have been a couple of guesses, but they haven’t made a definitive diagnosis and they’ve been working on me for a year and a half. It’s very frustrating, as you can imagine, for me to have this slowdown in my speech.”

Edwards is genuinely hopeful that speech therapy will help him get back to where he wants to be. And if not?

“I’m treating it like an in-season injury, something that’s going to get better,” he says. “If I, or NESN, decide that I’m hurting the product or costing the fans an enjoyable experience, I will say goodbye. But we haven’t had any discussions like that.

“l love my job, but I know that retirement isn’t that far off,” he adds, noting that his retirement plan will be to ski roughly 100 days a year.

“I’m going to turn 67 next month. I hope to make a graceful exit when the day comes.”

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
no paywall

Edwards hasn’t discussed the change publicly until now. In part, he says, because his doctors remain mystified about what has happened.

“I did not have some kind of accident,” he says. “I do not have cancer. I don’t have dementia. I haven’t had a stroke. All of that’s been confirmed by Mass. General neurology.

“They’ve done tests that seem like I’m going through some sort of science-fiction scene, but it’s really true. The images of my brain literally reveal nothing. That’s my joke with them.”

Edwards says he has been given no specific diagnosis or medical term for the change. He says he is in “robust” health and grades out as “superior” on intellect tests his doctors have given him.

“It doesn’t fit in any slot,” he says. “There have been a couple of guesses, but they haven’t made a definitive diagnosis and they’ve been working on me for a year and a half. It’s very frustrating, as you can imagine, for me to have this slowdown in my speech.”

Edwards is genuinely hopeful that speech therapy will help him get back to where he wants to be. And if not?

“I’m treating it like an in-season injury, something that’s going to get better,” he says. “If I, or NESN, decide that I’m hurting the product or costing the fans an enjoyable experience, I will say goodbye. But we haven’t had any discussions like that.

“l love my job, but I know that retirement isn’t that far off,” he adds, noting that his retirement plan will be to ski roughly 100 days a year.

“I’m going to turn 67 next month. I hope to make a graceful exit when the day comes.”
“The images of my brain literally reveal nothing. That’s my joke with them.” This is why I love the guy!

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I’m happy they haven’t found any medical issues related to why he’s struggling with his speech yet. I suspect they will given enough time, but he’s at least getting professional help with it. Now that being said, while I feel for him, he clearly isn’t up to the task at this point and he needs to step aside. If I were working as a truck driver and couldn’t load my truck any more, it’s not like I’d get to keep my job. Same thing if I was a surgeon but developed a tremor. I get folks hate to see people lose their jobs over things that are beyond their control but that’s life. He should take the time now to figure it out and heal, then come back. It’s what’s fair to him, the team, the organization, and the fans.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm glad he hasn't had any kind of stroke or dementia.

I think it's just a case of getting old. Happens to everyone. Zdeno Chara aged out of his role and couldn't do at age 44 what he was doing at 28. He had to step aside and retire gracefully. For Jack, the mouth and vocal cords aren't keeping up with the brain like they used to.

As the cliche goes, Father Time is undefeated. I'm just glad he's in good health.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If NESN moves on from Jack I would love to see the most qualified person get the opprotunity.
I'll settle for anyone that can competently call a game at this point. I've never been a big fan of Jack and his prewritten, hack diatribes, but now having the added negative of hearing him struggle just to get the words out has really impacted my enjoyment of the games.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I feel so badly for the guy, but I'm glad he's healthy as far as he knows. I'm sure it's frustrating and scary as hell.

I've always liked Jack for what he is, though his rants do wear on me. When he's just calling the game is when he's at his best (current issues notwithstanding).

I hope he gets to go out on his terms, but I also hope it's after this season. Zero offense to him, but I think it's time.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Time for him to be fair to his employer and the fans, and step away gracefully. Call it temporary while he continues with speech therapy and testing to see if he can get it back, but if you can’t perform the basic requirements of your job, you have to make the mature decision to step away.

Reactions: LSCII

NMF

May 24, 2012
I wonder if they have scanned Jack for Prion Disease, which manifests in humans as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) is a rapidly progressive, invariably fatal neurodegenerative disorder believed to be caused by an abnormal isoform of a cellular glycoprotein known as the prion protein. CJD occurs worldwide and the estimated annual incidence in many countries, including the United States, has been reported to be about one case per million population.

Common symptoms of prion disease include:

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Well, I take back what I said conjecturing that NESN was "doing nothing about the situation". If Jack is going through speech therapy, that's most certainly something.

Sad for him.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
As I was driving home from celebrating my moms bday in Maine this morning, Humpin Around by Bobby Brown came on 90s on 9 and I was reminded of the New Jack Edwards bit on Toucher and Rich in 2011. Peak Jack, IMO.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
There is also the possibility of long covid, there are cases of these symptoms being reported. I don't know whether he has had it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad