Confirmed with Link: Update: Lowry suspended 1 game for hit on Kaleta

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
It just looks weird, how he's completely motionless for a split second between moving the puck and getting crushed by Lowry. I'm not necessarily saying he was trying to make it look worse or bait Lowry or anything - just how strange it is visually.

Maybe he caught the eye of a pretty girl in the front row? (if there are any of those in Buffalo)

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
It just looks weird, how he's completely motionless for a split second between moving the puck and getting crushed by Lowry. I'm not necessarily saying he was trying to make it look worse or bait Lowry or anything - just how strange it is visually.

Yeah, no NHL player watches their pass like that.

I'm ok with the 1 game, and I'm glad Lowry makes that hit.

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
He most certainly knew someone was coming and chose not to defend himself. I watch that clip and to me that split second looks like a lifetime. I know he's a terrible hockey player, but there is no way someone who has reached the top league in hockey will be caught watching a pass while facing the end boards unless it's on purpose.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
lets not act like it would not have been a longer ban if it weren't kaleta that he hit.

I think the optics of a cheap-shot-artist being the recipient made a suspension more likely, actually. PS got to make a statement about their consistency (which, of course, they lack).

I also think actual hockey players don't stand still watching their pass for that long hoping to be boarded, so maybe it doesn't happen if it's not Kaleta...

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Meh, I cant really complain about it, and I am not surprised.

He saw the numbers the whole way in and still hit him. It was dangerous and could of caused injury. Learn your lesson and come back a more mature player.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Nice to see the scourge of the league be at the receiving end once in a while. I'm sure Adam's made a few new friends around the league with that hit!

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
It looks kind of weird that Kaleta doesn't move a muscle after passing the puck. It's only a fraction of a second before Lowry hits him, but Kaleta doesn't shift his weight or turn his head or appear to be starting to move in any way...

I agree with the suspension but it is a suspicious looking "impact". Kaleta is a strange dude, I wouldnt put anything past him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
1 game is fair. Things didn't turn out too bad. We outscored them while on a 5 min PK, won the game and Kaleta got a little bit of what he deserves. On top of that adds a bit to the growing perception that the Jets are a tougher team to play against.

BrokerD

Apr 13, 2012
I try not to let my emotions get the best of me when it comes to the dealings of the supplementary discipline group of neanderthals... But as a Jets fan this at times becomes incredibly difficult.

I get that Lowry's hit was ill advised, but he was given 5 and a game. Worst case scenario IMO should have been a fine.

I can think of numerous past hits (against the Jets) which I believe were much MUCH worse than the Lowry hit:

-de Haan's knee on Sheifele-knee injury
-Okposo's deliberate elbow on Bogosian-concussion
-Backlund crosscheck on Enstrom-head first into the boards
-Kuleman's hit on Stuart-scary boarding incident
-Boll's high hit on Postma

I doubt any of these hits were even given a second look by the NHL.

Oh, and to top it off Peluso received a three game suspension (first time offender, marginal hit) for his hit on Goligoski.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I agree with the suspension but it is a suspicious looking "impact". Kaleta is a strange dude, I wouldnt put anything past him.

he was bleeding from his mouth. strange if he was taking that hit the whole time...for a team that's lotto bound.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The NHL had better start taking the stance and culpability of the victim into consideration in these cases.

I am going to sound like an old man here but in hockey you have always had a certain level of responsibility to protect yourself and not put yourself in a position of vulnerability. There are dirty plays and I do not condone what Lowry did but if you look at a guy like Kaleta, a useless POS who shouldn't even be in the NHL, who is consistently hitting guys borderline you had better be protecting yourself. Standing 2 feet from the boards facing them in live action is montumentally stupid for any player, never mind a player who plays over the edge and is a target at all times.

My honest opinion? Kaleta was trying to make good for taking a penalty and being the cause of the first goal against by drawing one and he purposely stood like that so that he could draw a penalty. I think its delicious justice served that the Jets scored SH and pretty much snubbed out any attack by Buffalo during that PP.

Guys nowadays have the mentality that the NHL is going to police bad hits out of the game. Sure, I think they need to completely eliminate headshots with a CHL type rule set but guys turning their backs to the play to protect the puck along the boards is dangerous and stupid.

Guys like Peluso are getting 3 game suspensions because they are getting set for hits and their opponent is presenting their backs at the last minute.

When two players are both skating towards the boards and the pursuer rams the opponent into the boards that is one thing, but when you intentionally turn your back, that should not be a penalty.

Ding ding ding! Let's give a prize to this man!!!!!! :handclap::yo:

If you watch this play in slow mo you can clearly see Kaleta just stand there like a dumbass, like no responsible pro would ( or bantam player up for that matter ) and baited the forecheck.

Lowry did take his number and did retaliate. Suspension earned. But if I were doling it out I would give a phone call to Kaleta as well and say " do that again and I will suspend your sorry ass ".

Kaleta endangered himself just to draw a penalty. What an ultra-maroon. :shakehead

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
1 game for Lowry and deserved. Dumb hit by Lowry.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Can't argue with the suspension, Lowry did what he did and I think this will be a one-and-done.

What frustrates me to no end about this, is the number one rule we were all taught when we played hockey at any level was NEVER EVER turn your back on the play. Be tight to the boards and turn your shoulder to the on coming player to protect yourself.

Now? I see dummies like this getting crushed into the boards inviting the hit from behind to get a penalty called. Im sorry I know its a penalty, I dont disagree with the one game suspension but good lord already that guy got what he asked for.

In the NHL let alone any level of hockey its so hard and sometimes impossible for the oncoming player to "pull up."

Never put yourself in a position to get hurt like ever. Its so easy to correct and if you watch the replay several times you can see he turns his back to Lowry, even though he knows he is coming. WTF ever happened in the last couple years that kids at all levels do this all of a sudden? Drives me crazy because its a fantastic way to get hurt on a multitude of levels.

Honestly. You're taught this from the very beginning. So that either makes Kaleta a genius for taking the hit, biting his lip and then drawing a 5 min penalty, or an absolute ****ing idiot for watching his pass like that and risking major injury (while wearing a jaw protector for godssakes). Probably a bit of both.

Sabs*

One game fine learn Lowry and move on. Not a dirty player got caught up in being a good teammate. Players can hand a helmet around and collect his salary back

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I have no problem with the one game suspension for sticking up for your teammates.

While I admit I didn't watch the entire game, I was watching at the time of the hit. How was Lowry sticking up for a team mate? Kaleta didn't do anything wrong on the play to deserve that hit. I never saw him do anything during any part of the game I watched.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
While I admit I didn't watch the entire game, I was watching at the time of the hit. How was Lowry sticking up for a team mate? Kaleta didn't do anything wrong on the play to deserve that hit. I never saw him do anything during any part of the game I watched.

He was running around the whole game, threw a chicken wing on Frolik, hit high on Lowry earlier, rubbed Little out hard on the boards a little bit dirty, went hard after Kane trying to run him over. Was doing all this while wearing full facial protection so it's understandable guys being pissed off at him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad