Confirmed with Link: Update: 9/15 | Capitals Relieve Todd Reirden of Coaching Duties | Hire Laviolette as new HC

Who do you want to be the next coach of the Washington Capitals?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I don't really think the coaching staff is the problem, but it's hard to pass up this coaching market. I've always been a fan of Lavi.

That may be but you can't fire the talent. If this coach isn't getting the horses to run you move on a find one that can. That's what's so frustrating about it. The one guy who did get you there was allowed to walk.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
We can't generate shots on goal. So I would love some offensive minded coach given that coach has experience and knows how to play in our strength

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It doesn't matter who actually hires the coach. The track record leaves this completely and Leonsis feet. There's been one non rookie coach hired since he bought the team and that's the one that won a cup. None of the others have been out of the 2nd round. There is no one else to blame as he's allowed it.

Fine. Leonsis hires and fires the coaches. He doesnt like paying experienced coach money. Trotz was cheap. Forget about Lavy or Gallant....Babcock is a hoot.

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
Gallant made all four lines threatening in a superstar-less Vegas team in 2018. That's appealing for a team that struggles to score outside of the top 6 (and can't if they're having a rough game).

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
At this stage they need an energetic alpha but one that isn't a dinosaur like Carlyle (another with past Caps ties) or Babcock. I agree it should come down to Laviolette or Gallant if they're possessing a win-now mentality (and why not given the age of their core?). If they're going to make shake-up trades to get younger then perhaps a more progressive, younger voice could work but it's risky at this stage. Mostly they need someone trusted that both spark better execution and short-term results while also providing fall-back organizational value if things do go sideways and a transition period type rebuild is needed. It's essentially why they can't go cheap unless they just want to telegraph and strong-arm the entire process. That's very hard to execute and the GM/HC relationship is essential. It's also an area where, frankly, MacLellan has not looked like a very effective manager overall. It's only gotten worse with Reirden, lesser assistants and more cap constraints.

I wouldn't 100% assume Reirden is gone but hell if I know how they can move forward with the status quo and think anything improves. Even if they plan on making shake-up trades I don't know how they could believe that's the solution either. Big picture they need a better defense overall for stability's sake but potentially this could be a team that needs serious help in every area.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Im not shitting on Reirden, he might be a great coach in different circumstances but the thing is that these circumstances are not working for him and especially not for us.

He havent found a way for Caps to be both effective and tight at the same time. The last two years we have been either scoring goals and collapsing defensively, or playing tight defence and scoring zero goals. Maybe he cant get the players onboard, or maybe its just not working with the players he has, but the way players are representing themselves on the ice id figure its simply both. They are basically doing right things most of the time but they are just not feeling it, the whole rhytm is out of sync and they are constantly one step behind when it comes to playing against well structured teams.

We cant go on a big retool or rebuild here. We have 2-3 good years (again, like we have had for the past 5 years) with Ovie before its just record chasing, and we just better pray we can find a coach who can wake the rest of our core back to business and make those years count. You dont find anyone as talented as Kuznetsov or Backstrom or Carlson From anywhere. You dont touch those guys, you just work to get them going on all cylinders.

And while our depth scoring has gone totally missing, and our defence is collapsing, its just not a one guy thing. You cant fix it by just changing a player or two in the bottom lines. Its just not a Kovalchuk problem, or a Kempny problem or a Holtby problem. They are literally all under performing and when that happens its most likely its not just because they arent good at hockey. How can Kovalchuk use his best qualities when he is dying to try and carry the puck over blueline himself on a one man attacks or wrestling in the corners with Zdeno Charas? Thats not who he is. He should be the one on coming From second wave, getting the puck on a position to score. How can Kempny pinch on middle ice breakouts when he is constantly forced to skating and wrestling contests. Thats not who he is. Our game strategy is just burying many of our players. Our team looks so good on the paper..

Holtby sucking out is just another sample of how the team has lost its identity and confidence. Quality goalie is normally as good as the team defence in front of him. Quality goalie is normally as confident as his team is. It was rough two years for him to go to UFA right now. Noone is going to give him what he wants, so who knows he might even come back with a 3-5 million "prove it" 1-2 year contract. Not sure I want him back anymore, but I do wonder if he can get back to his Vezina form if the team in front of him starts to play like they can.

I dont like saying it, but Reirden needs to go.

Reactions: 43sfriends

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I like Jacques Martin as an assistant in charge of the defense and Gallant as the head coach, but Laviolette isn't an bad option. They missed out big time on Vigneault year ago.

I think our window is over if we go rookie coach again. Unless you hit the jackpot but i can't see that with our past record.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Leonsis chose Hunter over Carlyle (I think there was another big name available then too), Oates over Cooper, and Trotz over Laviolette. I don’t remember who were the other guys available when they went with Cassidy and Hanlon but I don’t remember any enthusiasm, so these hires have been trending up, so he’s trending in a positive direction. Boudreau and Reirden were internal hires so they were a little different.

I specifically don’t like Babcock because he made Marner rank his teammates by loyalty.

Reactions: um and Calicaps

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
If reirden is not gone this offseaon, this also becomes a gm discussion.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I like Gallant - he has experience, got a lot out of a Vegas squad that combined veteran and underachieving/undervalued players in year 1. Seems like a guy who understands the coach-player dynamic a bit better than Reirden.

Reirden seems like a guy who would do a lot better on a rebuilder with lots of young talent, like Ottawa. Everything great about TR that we’ve heard over the last few years screams development:
  • Ability to help individual players find their game
  • Ability to nurture and grow Dmen into solid players
  • Guys like Kempny have attributed a lot of their success to him personally
  • Gets players winning quickly, even if he doesn’t actually have a solid strategy
I think as well, though, that it didn’t help TR didn’t get to pick his own assistants, and I wonder how much as a rookie HC he’s felt able to lead them. Trotz brought guys like Lambert and Korn along with him, and TR was already an experienced AC in Pittsburg. Whether TR stays or goes, next year’s HC needs more autonomy over their coaching staff and needs better proven talent behind the bench with them.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If reirden is not gone this offseaon, this also becomes a gm discussion.

While I agree with the broad sentiment, I think the reality is GMBM’s hands will be somewhat tied by Ted. The Caps are facing a potentially very expensive year if there are no or limited ticket sales, so it’s hard to see Ted being okay with writing off the rest of TR’s contract and hiring someone new and expensive.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Gallant also fits their short-term plan very well. He has his issues and doesn't seem to be a guy teams want to keep around for too long but our window is closing and he knows how to get the most out of a team short-term so he should be seriously considered. If he wants 5-year contract then i don't see Leonsis being on board with that, partly because of his history.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
While I agree with the broad sentiment, I think the reality is GMBM’s hands will be somewhat tied by Ted. The Caps are facing a potentially very expensive year if there are no or limited ticket sales, so it’s hard to see Ted being okay with writing off the rest of TR’s contract and hiring someone new and expensive.

Maclellan should be fired as he is unable to advice Ted then. Get Some1 who can slap that old fools notebook out of his lap.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Gallant seems like the best fit personality-wise.

I remember a Vegas player in 2018 describing how he had the team play as very simple. I've also seen descriptions of the current Capitals along the lines of the team being difficult to play because they're so detailed. That gives me a little bit of pause, but not much. Game 4 of this past series just suggests again that all the tactical changes and video sessions in the world barely matter anyway and that they need the right guy to lead them and get them going more than anything.

(I would honestly love to see them bring back Boudreau, but I doubt that would happen.)

Leonsis chose Hunter over Carlyle
Wasn't Carlyle still in Anaheim, which fired him after Washington fired Boudreau (and immediately announced Hunter) presumably to get Boudreau?

Reactions: 895

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It’s amazing how you can see the future. Well except for being wrong about Backstrom playing 3C tonight... And a few other things.

Ok....whatever. We know that the Caps thru 2 gm's have hired only 1 experienced coach. An experienced coach with a poor playoff track record that had a history with the owner. We also know that over the objections of the GM Leonsis hired Bruce Cassidy and Adam Oates as head coaches. Both of which were epic disasters. He then let that inexpensive, cup winning coach walk over money. Maybe I am not analysing this well at all, but I see a pretty clear pattern of behavior.

What have you seen Leonsis do that suggests he is going to hire a big money coach?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wasn't Carlyle still in Anaheim, which fired him after Washington fired Boudreau (and immediately announced Hunter) presumably to get Boudreau?

I think the best description of that period was that the Caps chose Hunter to get them thru the season and give them time to look for a replacement. Remember Boudreau was an interm. Wilson, Cassidy, and Oates were all fired in the off season.

Carlyle for his part was still being paid on a cup winner contract and then took the Toronto job in the offseason. Meanwhile the Caps hired Oates. I dont see where Carlyle even looks at interest from Leonsis in that budget range.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maclellan should be fired as he is unable to advice Ted then. Get Some1 who can slap that old fools notebook out of his lap.

Huh? This is the job description of the GM for the Washington Capitals. Hiring and firing of the head coach is not on it. You dont get fired because you cant convince your boss to do the right thing. See Dick Patrick for reference. If you dont like the hire or fire or not fire of Reirden, look at the big office

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Remember how we failed to fire Bruce after that embarrassing series loss to TB, and we brought him back again next year only to fire him early in the season. Yeah please don't make that mistake with Todd. He's had two seasons to show something - and he's got nothing. He isn't magically going to make this team play infinitely better next year. It never happens like that, and he it won't with him either. Get rid him of now.

Reactions: Capagonia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad