Confirmed with Link: Update: 9/15 | Capitals Relieve Todd Reirden of Coaching Duties | Hire Laviolette as new HC

Who do you want to be the next coach of the Washington Capitals?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
Ted is going to mess around and be cheap and end up costing himself more money in the long run. I think a lot of Caps fans would lose their enthusiasm and rethink spending money on tickets (when that becomes an option again) if this guy is still the coach. Time to open the wallet and go all in for one more run or two.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Ted is going to mess around and be cheap and end up costing himself more money in the long run. I think a lot of Caps fans would lose their enthusiasm and rethink spending money on tickets (when that becomes an option again) if this guy is still the coach. Time to open the wallet and go all in for one more run or two.
The counter argument to that is we probably won’t have fans in 2021 anyways so he is probably OK being cheap and keeping TR for that year.

Reactions: JMUcapsfan07

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
The counter argument to that is we probably won’t have fans in 2021 anyways so he is probably OK being cheap and keeping TR for that year.

Yeah, I tried to address that but probably should have highlighted it more. With that said, I'd still think fan enthusiasm has a direct correlation with things like TV ratings, merchandise purchases, and season ticket holders when things do go back to normal.

I'm not expecting him to do anything, but I still think it could be very short-sighted.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fine. Then he probably has to accept more 1st and 2nd round failures.

I didnt say it was the right thing to do. I am just saying that we have been down this road several times since Leonsis bought the team and with the exception of Trotz, the move has always been the same. I would say that is for a reason

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Todd may end up becoming a great coach but it'll be tough for him to come back into that locker room next year. I think also, assuming they make the playoffs last year which is not a foregone conclusion given how they finished the year and how strong the Metro is, that there will certainly be some tension hanging over the team as they kickoff the postseason given their recent struggles.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Canucks fan coming in peace... I had you guys winning the series but was surprised at what happened.

I'm curious about Reirden's coaching as it seems quite a lot of Caps fans want him gone - is he really that bad and what is it in particular that he's doing wrong?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Canucks fan coming in peace... I had you guys winning the series but was surprised at what happened.

I'm curious about Reirden's coaching as it seems quite a lot of Caps fans want him gone - is he really that bad and what is it in particular that he's doing wrong?
The downward trend of postseason 5 on 5 play the last 3 years with the context of Kuznetsov saying they were worried too much about Corsis, the fact they let 2 good young players go in Burakovsky and Stephenson that seemed to have psychological issues here that cleared up immediately elsewhere, plus there are good coaches available.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

He’s really, really bad. He should be on a rebuilding team as he has a lot to work on himself if he wants to be a nhl head coach

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Past all the questions of whether we should have stuck together or not, there is no doubt that he loved our guys so very much:

(lifted from RMNB who transcripted Trotz's press conference video)

“I’ve got great emotions in a couple of areas,”

“Number one, obviously beating a very good (Capitals) team that’s got so much talent. I’ve had so much invested with that group of core players.”

Emotion then cracked in Barry Trotz’s voice.

“I can’t tell you how much they mean to me,” Trotz continued. “I’m trying to have those same relationships with my group and hopefully, we can share something special. I look on the other side and I see champions. You look at Ovi, Backy, Osh, Braden Holtby, John Carlson, all those guys. Those guys are champions in my mind and always will be."

“It was one of those series, as a coach when you go through a series like that when you’ve had some success with a group of guys, it tears you a little bit because there are so many good memories but at the same time you work for someone else and you want to beat that group because we’re competitive and we don’t want to lose. In all those situations, you’re split sometimes, there’s so much history between the two groups.”

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Past all the questions of whether we should have stuck together or not, there is no doubt that he loved our guys so very much:

“Number one, obviously beating a very good (Capitals) team that’s got so much talent. I’ve had so much invested with that group of core players.”

“I can’t tell you how much they mean to me,” Trotz continued. “I’m trying to have those same relationships with my group and hopefully, we can share something special. I look on the other side and I see champions. You look at Ovi, Backy, Osh, Braden Holtby, John Carlson, all those guys. Those guys are champions in my mind and always will be."

“It was one of those series, as a coach when you go through a series like that when you’ve had some success with a group of guys, it tears you a little bit because there are so many good memories but at the same time you work for someone else and you want to beat that group because we’re competitive and we don’t want to lose. In all those situations, you’re split sometimes, there’s so much history between the two groups.”

Hearing stuff like that, really makes you question how interested the Caps were in playing for Todd. Perhaps it created a bit of a rift in the locker room? Half the guys supportive of Todd, the other for Barry? Just spitballing here.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I admit it would be interesting to see these guys with Bruce. Bruce can fix anything except his own messes. I dont think Leonsis was pay market for a coach like that. Any new coach, I dont know the names.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

And yet TR gave him a half ass handshake as he walked by.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

He is the most recent coach to take a team to the Cup Final. Turned the Panthers and Vegas into good teams while he coached there, but his firing both times was a bit strange. Some think he had a fallout with management both times. I give Gallant the edge over Laviolette, who can be a real @sshole at times despite winning a Cup(Canes '06) and losing twice in a Cup Final(Flyers '10, Preds '16). The other thing about Gallant, knowing the Caps might take their time deciding about RearDone and the assistants, Wings GM Yzerman could fire Blashill and hire Gallant(Yzerman and Gallant were teammates).

Gallant might be a $1 million cheaper than Laviolette. Gallant will probably command around $4 million per year(same as Trotz) and Laviolette is more likely to ask for $5 million per year.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...capitals-face-tough-questions-hard-realities/

upload_2020-8-21_15-56-22.png

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Leonsis chose Hunter over Carlyle (I think there was another big name available then too), Oates over Cooper, and Trotz over Laviolette. I don’t remember who were the other guys available when they went with Cassidy and Hanlon but I don’t remember any enthusiasm, so these hires have been trending up, so he’s trending in a positive direction. Boudreau and Reirden were internal hires so they were a little different.

I specifically don’t like Babcock because he made Marner rank his teammates by loyalty.
Babcock lost respect with all the NHL, so I don't think any team will hire him.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

Meanwhile, Reirden couldn't even look Trotz in the eyes when they shook hands.

Pathetic

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If reirden is not gone this offseaon, this also becomes a gm discussion.
Disagree. I think BMac is being handcuffed a bit by Leonsis/Patrick regarding choosing coaches. It has been far proven that Leonsis/Patrick don't have high regard for paying coaches well enough(I'm praying that will change). Reirden was handed the job based off his impact as an Associate Coach during the '18 Cup Win. Reirden didn't even choose his own assistants after he became the head coach. The team badly needs an experienced coach again, so I hope the new hire is able to choose the assistants he wants. Forsythe and Arniel have to be gone, and goalie coach Scott Murray either has to be demoted to Hershey or gone, as he did not connect well with Holtby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad