UPDATE 5/23 - Golden Knights select ROOT/AT&T Sports for local TV

Elephant Igloo

Jan 11, 2017
Why did the Vegas organization see a grumpy old man from the Winnipeg Free Press and say "this is the person we absolutely need"?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Why did the Vegas organization see a grumpy old man from the Winnipeg Free Press and say "this is the person we absolutely need"?

He might write like a 6 year old and be completely incompetent, but people seem to be interested in what he says. I really don't mind him at all.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I have said from day 1 that TV rights in Vegas would be a huge problem.

Vegas is the 40th largest TV market in the US which makes it the smallest in the NHL outside of Buffalo - however the Sabres can also pick up eyeballs in Rochester and Syracuse, Vegas has no such option.

I have to assume when the NHL vetted Vegas as a market they told Foley what to expect for TV revenue.

Not to mention that, you know, people in WNY like hockey.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...en-knights-tv-deal-taking-time-to-consummate/

Perhaps because it's not a "one size fits all" situation.

Nice zone. They want to be billed as the "team of the Rockies" (so, the non-Colorado Avalanche's :sarcasm: ).

I'm confident in saying that they're not going to get much of any traction in Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming...even if there was a network that spanned that 5 state region they're talking about.

Seattle or Portland could make a decent dent in Western Montana & Idaho...but that's it. Too much distaste in those places for basically any major city that isn't in the PNW, and the distance is just too far away. There's just too much distance between the states on top of the overwhelming cultural differences (13 hour drive between Missoula & Vegas, for example).

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm confident in saying that they're not going to get much of any traction in Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming...even if there was a network that spanned that 5 state region they're talking about.

Seattle or Portland could make a decent dent in Western Montana & Idaho...but that's it. Too much distaste in those places for basically any major city that isn't in the PNW, and the distance is just too far away. There's just too much distance between the states on top of the overwhelming cultural differences (13 hour drive between Missoula & Vegas, for example).

All that being said, I'd rather have the Knights on TV there than not. If they can make it happen, they should.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
The evil Canadian pundits can't write articles asking your NHL team be relocated to Canada...

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

... if you hire them yourself.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The evil Canadian pundits can't write articles asking your NHL team be relocated to Canada...

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

... if you hire them yourself.

Yeah but there are plenty more there to take their place if they haven't all decided to become stand up comics.... they're like a Hydra. :naughty:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
No. The Wild have Milwaukee.

Which is true and sickening to me. It doesn't make any sense! As much as I dislike the BlackHawks, we should be in their territory since they are 90 miles away versus over 300 to St. Paul.

The ratings will be low as long as Nashville gets ignored here. Nashville started in 1998 and have been affiliated with the Milwaukee Admirals since that time. The Wild started in 2000. With Liarpold and Suter over there, Nashville fans hate them!

The NHL and Fox Sports TV should fix this!!!

I wish LV success.

Last edited:

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
If I recall from my time on the Return of the Jets message boards back in the day he was often smugly dismissive of efforts to return the NHL to Winnipeg. Am I remembering that correctly?

I actually never visited those boards so cant say.

He's incredibly smug on the radio, and not that smart about his opinions. I dont know if its an intentional troll thing or not either. Im actually glad he's leaving the radio show and Jets broadcast.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
If I recall from my time on the Return of the Jets message boards back in the day he was often smugly dismissive of efforts to return the NHL to Winnipeg. Am I remembering that correctly?

IIRC, he was smug and dismissive early on, but at some point close to the move he had switched and was a cheerleader.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
the Avs should really be pissed that they lost TV territory in their own state to an effing expansion team in Vegas, let alone the entire rest of their region.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Which is true and sickening to me. It doesn't make any sense! As much as I dislike the BlackHawks, we should be in their territory since they are 90 miles away versus over 300 to St. Paul.

The ratings will be low as long as Nashville gets ignored here. Nashville started in 1998 and have been affiliated with the Milwaukee Admirals since that time. The Wild started in 2000. With Liarpold and Suter over there, Nashville fans hate them!

The NHL and Fox Sports TV should fix this!!!

I wish LV success.

Well that's the problem, there is no Fox Sports in Chicago. The only way the Hawks get into Milwaukee is if

- Come 2020 when all the Chicago team CSN deals expire, Fox returns to the market and gets the Hawks rights
OR
- NBC gets Brewers rights and sets up a CSN/NBCS Milwaukee, and carries the Hawks there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad