UPDATE 5/23 - Golden Knights select ROOT/AT&T Sports for local TV

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Vegas has signed a deal with Root Sports Rocky Mountain to broadcast all of their regional games. Looks like it will cover some pre season and potential regional playoff games as well.

Their territory covers Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and parts of Arizona and California.

Right now that's all the info I believe. There's a news conference scheduled for this afternoon that will have more details.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...en-knights-select-root-sports-as-tv-provider/

ROOT will show all Knights games live with the exception of any national television appearance on NBC or NBC Sports Network. A news conference is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, when details on the deal will be announced.
Though ROOT is currently not available on Cox Cable or CenturyLink’s Prism system, negotiations are being held with both companies to add ROOT to the menu in time for the start of the NHL season in October. ROOT currently reaches satellite subscribers on DirecTV and Dish Network.

Knights majority owner Bill Foley has said on numerous occasions he wanted to take advantage of the team’s broadcast territory allotted it by the NHL. That includes Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and parts of Western Arizona and Western Colorado along with Eastern Southern California. ROOT Rocky Mountain and ROOT Northwest meet those needs.

The team recently announced its radio home on Fox Sports Radio in Las Vegas and is working with Lotus Broadcasting on developing a network of 15 to 20 radio stations to carry the team’s games beyond Las Vegas to northern Nevada, Utah, Idaho and Montana.

By going with a regional sports network, the Knights are bypassing local over-the-air TV. The team is insisting that all 82 games be televised live and none of the local TV stations would or could meet their stipulation.
The team also talked to Fox Sports West and Fox Sports West 2 (Prime Ticket), which already has NHL inventory with the Los Angeles Kings (FSW) and Anaheim Ducks (FSW2) before deciding to go with ROOT.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
When the league announced the Knights' territory I was hoping they'd go with ROOT to try to capitalize on the entire area and potentially even squeeze the Knights into the PacNW.

I'm glad that's coming to pass. I'm sure that Cox and CenturyLink will add the network to their packages, hopefully at the lowest tier.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When the league announced the Knights' territory I was hoping they'd go with ROOT to try to capitalize on the entire area and potentially even squeeze the Knights into the PacNW.

I'm glad that's coming to pass. I'm sure that Cox and CenturyLink will add the network to their packages, hopefully at the lowest tier.

It was the most logical choice.

Friend in Truckee, CA ( just east of Tahoe ) very upset she is losing Sharks games on basic.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It was the most logical choice.

Friend in Truckee, CA ( just east of Tahoe ) very upset she is losing Sharks games on basic.

My happiness to have a local hockey team should balance out her disappointment.

The State of Nevada doesn't have a huge sphere of influence, the fact that she happens to be in the small part of the Nevada sphere that isn't in Nevada is on her. :laugh: Hell, Truckee High School in California participates in the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association, she might as well just petition to add Truckee to Nevada and become a Knights fan.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
the Avs should really be pissed that they lost TV territory in their own state to an effing expansion team in Vegas, let alone the entire rest of their region.

Who is broadcasting Colorado games next season?

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Who is broadcasting Colorado games next season?

Altitude TV, as has been the case for the past number of seasons. What the poster I believe is referring to is that much of the territory that Vegas is picking up had been Avalanche TV territory, and the games subsequently had been available in these areas on Altitude. How the league will deal with this going forward, that's certainly a fair question to ask.

As for ROOT picking this up, I think this makes sense, and just like what another poster just noted, this might also allow for them to broadcast some games in the Northwest. I'd guess if that were the case, they'd probably do a limited number, perhaps home games and games against the Canucks in Vancouver......

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Altitude....or the Rockies.... same network does both now since Altitude is the home of the Avalanche/Nuggets

ROOT RM handles the Rockies baseball during the summer. They also cover Mountain West football as well. As you note, Altitude is the Avs/Nuggets broadcast home, and also handles the MLS Rapids and Denver University sports.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't think it would impact the Avs at all other than giving people another option for hockey. It's not like they're getting kicked out of the territory as far as I know.

For this season we've got the Sharks, the Ducks, and the Kings here in Las Vegas. People in Billings will likely still have the Avs, they'll just also have the Knights on Root as well.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
ROOT RM handles the Rockies baseball during the summer. They also cover Mountain West football as well. As you note, Altitude is the Avs/Nuggets broadcast home, and also handles the MLS Rapids and Denver University sports.

the Knights team thread has a nearly identical thread to this, and that's where I posted that in their thread :)

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
And that is just wrong.
They are about 4 hours from San Jose and 8 from Vegas.

http://bl.ocks.org/simzou/6459889

This is a map of the Nielsen DMA's, showing which areas are supposed to receive which cities' local TV. Anyway, Truckee is in the Sacramento DMA so I'm a little surprised that she'd be losing the games on basic cable. Perhaps this is a local issue between NBC Sports California and the cable company?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

This is a map of the Nielsen DMA's, showing which areas are supposed to receive which cities' local TV. Anyway, Truckee is in the Sacramento DMA so I'm a little surprised that she'd be losing the games on basic cable. Perhaps this is a local issue between NBC Sports California and the cable company?

TV territory. Sharks lost some.

If the cable co continued to carry NBCSCA it would be blacked out for Sharks-VGK games (so she'd have to get ROOT).

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Looking at the map, I'm fairly sure the whole area around Tahoe on either side of the border is Reno's market. You can see the continuation of the California/Nevada border toward the top of the Reno market where Oregon cuts in and Truckee seems to be in the Reno splotch.

The only thing that's California about that area near Tahoe on the California side is the taxes, like I said earlier those California high schools even play in the Nevada High School Activities league. I'm pretty sure Truckee even has a few Nevada State football championships. They're much more connected to the Reno/Tahoe area than Sacramento.

They should embrace the Nevada and join our side. :laugh:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

If the cable co continued to carry NBCSCA it would be blacked out for Sharks-VGK games (so she'd have to get ROOT).

She checked with the NHL in New York - Her zipcode has been assigned to the Golden Knights.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

This is what I was thinking. She'd get both teams, but if they play each other she'd have to watch ROOT.

I was under the impression that it's possible to be in two separate "NHL TV markets" as long as you're far enough away from the actual NHL city itself. Case in point: my father lives in southern Illinois, about 70 miles east of St. Louis. He has Dish Network, and he gets both FS Midwest and CSN Chicago, so when I go home to visit him I can watch both the Blues and Blackhawks. He gets the STL TV affiliates, so I'd imagine any Blues-Hawks games would be blacked out on CSN Chicago for him, but I've never checked.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
She checked with the NHL in New York - Her zipcode has been assigned to the Golden Knights.

She checked with the league directly? Interesting. Wonder how one can actually do that.....I'm sort of curious now about Seattle and which team our region has been assigned to. Question for you Fenway. If Seattle doesn't have a specific team the league has assigned us to and since ROOT has the Vegas games, could they actually broadcast those games via ROOT's Northwest channel to the Seattle/Portland/Spokane markets even though the league hasn't made these areas Vegas territory? ROOT in the winter up here needs more than simply high school sports, Big Sky/Mountain West football and the occasional college game that no one interests themselves in out this direction.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
She checked with the league directly? Interesting. Wonder how one can actually do that.....I'm sort of curious now about Seattle and which team our region has been assigned to. Question for you Fenway. If Seattle doesn't have a specific team the league has assigned us to and since ROOT has the Vegas games, could they actually broadcast those games via ROOT's Northwest channel to the Seattle/Portland/Spokane markets even though the league hasn't made these areas Vegas territory? ROOT in the winter up here needs more than simply high school sports, Big Sky/Mountain West football and the occasional college game that no one interests themselves in out this direction.

Fenway's the one with the real answers when it comes to that stuff, but getting the Knights into the northwest was one of the reasons I loved ROOT as soon at they mentioned which states Vegas' territory was going to include. ROOT covers almost the entire area, plus they need to programming in the northwest. As I recall, ROOT shows Jazz games in Washington, don't they?

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Fenway's the one with the real answers when it comes to that stuff, but getting the Knights into the northwest was one of the reasons I loved ROOT as soon at they mentioned which states Vegas' territory was going to include. ROOT covers almost the entire area, plus they need to programming in the northwest. As I recall, ROOT shows Jazz games in Washington, don't they?

East of the Cascades only. Seattle/Portland are Blazers territory and Comcast's sports channel handles those games, and you may know this but that has been a sore subject for a lot of people up here, especially in Oregon.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

She used to cover the NHL as a writer before she got married and became a mother. :)

I fully expect you will see many Knights games on ROOT NW.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Here in Spokane I get ROOT NW but not RM on Comcast but my parents have DirecTV and they have RM. Not sure if we'd actually be able to watch VGK games on there though if we aren't part of the territory. I don't think they get the RM broadcast of Rockies games but they do get CO college hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad