UPDATE 5/23 - Golden Knights select ROOT/AT&T Sports for local TV

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Montana is a big, empty state...but not as much as Amtrak may have you believe. Amtrak doesn't come close to any of the 'major' cities...Missoula is 2.5-3 hours south of the Whitefish station, which makes it significantly closer than places like Bozeman, Helena, Butte, Billings, etc. to an Amtrak station. Honestly I think it's part of the reason the hockey culture there is almost non-existent, there's very few Montanans that live close enough to Canada for there to be any real amount of cultural cross-over. Unfortunately for the state the only passenger rail skirts the border.

Curious why Amtrack chose that route. At some point Montana had to have decent passenger service connecting the 'major' cities.

The train was stuck in Shelby for 5 hours and the bar across the street became jammed. The barmaid kidded we haven't been this busy since the Dempsey fight :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Curious why Amtrack chose that route. At some point Montana had to have decent passenger service connecting the 'major' cities.

The train was stuck in Shelby for 5 hours and the bar across the street became jammed. The barmaid kidded we haven't been this busy since the Dempsey fight :laugh:

It did from the 1920's to about 1965/70. 3 major lines from Chicago & Milwaukee with 11+ passenger stops in Montana (then carrying on westward to Seattle) and a handful of smaller localised lines. Declining consumer use, bad management wiping out much of it. I think Amt the only regular passenger service provider left... the rest all freight..... cattle, dental floss....

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, there's still an extremely active train depot in Missoula, it's just entirely for commercial use. There's just not enough demand to make it financially feasible to reroute the lines to more populated areas considering re-routing it south would add hours to an already unprofitable route.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
From August 14-19, the Vegas Golden Knights Road Trip will visit various cities in Idaho, Montana and Utah, which are all within the Golden Knights' authorized television distribution territory through their local rightsholder partnership with AT&T SportsNet.

Players and coaches including Jake Bischoff, Gerard Gallant, Mike Kelly, Calvin Pickard, Nate Schmidt, Alex Tuch and executives Bill Foley, Murray Craven and Brian Killingsworth are expected to make appearances and participate in a series of hockey clinics, open skates and meet-and-greets with local hockey fans of all ages.
Link

Heard about this today because the local rink(CdA) is one of the stops. Seems like a good way to draw attention to the team throughout the tv region especially the areas that maybe haven't been introduced to hockey before. They were given a large region so hopefully they can capitalize on it.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Link

Heard about this today because the local rink(CdA) is one of the stops. Seems like a good way to draw attention to the team throughout the tv region especially the areas that maybe haven't been introduced to hockey before. They were given a large region so hopefully they can capitalize on it.

We'll see how it goes.

Lots of the locals on twitter are a little frustrated that they haven't done an event anything like this in Las Vegas yet.

We also don't get ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain in Las Vegas....yet. :laugh:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...dansk-stands-out-in-golden-knights-scrimmage/

Update from Foley on first day of camp. Negotiations with Cox ongoing. Hopeful will be resolved by season start.

Knights majority owner Bill Foley said the two sides remain in negotiations but no deal is in place.
“I still believe we’ll get a deal done in time for the start of the season,” said Foley, who is not involved in the negotiations. “I believe that AT&T and Cox will do the right thing for the Golden Knights fans.”
Sunday’s preseason game in Vancouver will be the first Golden Knights telecast on AT&T SportsNet. The game also will be carried live on radio on Fox Sports 1340 AM and 98.9 FM.

Last edited by a moderator:

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
The whole thing will fail. Who wants to watch....um, no....who wants to PAY to watch an entire season of the Vegas Knights? Nobody.... a few hard core fans isn't going to financially support this franchise and tv deals.

Goodbye, Knights....nice knowing ya. Keep yer suitcases close by.....

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
The whole thing will fail. Who wants to watch....um, no....who wants to PAY to watch an entire season of the Vegas Knights? Nobody.... a few hard core fans isn't going to financially support this franchise and tv deals.

Goodbye, Knights....nice knowing ya. Keep yer suitcases close by.....

It never ceases to amaze me how hockey fans think so little of their own favorite sport. No one in Vegas could possibly like it. Totally worthless if you didnt grow up snapping icicles off your nose. Only we can like it. I guess you have to make yourself feel special somehow....

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
It never ceases to amaze me how hockey fans think so little of their own favorite sport. No one in Vegas could possibly like it. Totally worthless if you didnt grow up snapping icicles off your nose. Only we can like it. I guess you have to make yourself feel special somehow....
It's the best sport in the world. That doesn't mean that you will have a stable and progressive interest of hockey in the Desert because you want it to.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
As I moved to Vegas six weeks ago, I've had a LOT of tradesmen in to attach, work on, deliver stuff.

When it does come up in conversation, I'm getting a lot of interest.

Never let it be said that the (general) populace hates the team.

Edit: Heck, my new stockbroker-type is a Chicago Blackhawks fan. :D

Last edited:

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
It's the best sport in the world. That doesn't mean that you will have a stable and progressive interest of hockey in the Desert because you want it to.

And just because you want it to fail doesn't mean it will. What kind of fan doesn't want more people getting involved?

Really, enlighten me. What's wrong with the people of Vegas that they can't appreciate the best sport in the world? Surely you must spend a lot of time there and have spoken with countless residents to make such a bold claim.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Cox and Root Sports came to an agreement last minute, and VGK games will be available on Cox!

Tonight is probably too late, but if they can show it on NHL Network shouldn't be a big deal.

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
NHL Network games are blacked out in the home markets. It doesn't matter whether Cox can get a station for ATT up in time or not. They can't lift a blackout for NHLN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad