UPDATE 5/23 - Golden Knights select ROOT/AT&T Sports for local TV

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Sinclair's also got an affiliate in Reno.

I don't know if it's still the case, but KSNV (the local NBC affiliate owned by Sinclair) used to have sister stations through the Valley Media Group while they were still known as KVBC in the other smaller media markets in the Southern Nevada/Eastern California/Western Arizona area. That could add some small numbers to the overall viewership.

Makes that idea a lot better, BB. They can sign with them for one or two years, put the games into a network setup with their Reno and Salt Lake stations as I believe they also own one there, too, and they'd cover their primary and secondary territory fairly easily without the expense of setting up an RSN for simply just that one team. Those one-team RSN's right now are not very desirable for carriage by cable/satellite companies as we're seeing so clearly down in Los Angeles.......

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Vegas' assigned secondary market is a huge swath of land, We've got all of Utah, pretty much the whole southern part of the San Joaquin Valley, Montana, Idaho, and I think the northwest part of Arizona.

It's why I'd always assumed Root would be in the running for the Knights rights.

Going with local affiliates doesn't really monetize the secondary areas, and it certainly doesn't create more Knights fans out of areas that are likely filled with people following Denver sports.

The first thing that came to my mind when they announced the Vegas market was Root Sports. It's like the market was almost designed for Root. Perhaps it was and Root is using that to its advantage and squeezing a little since they're the only real RSN in a position to cover the majority of the area.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Don't like being negative but I think this is going to be the 1st of many problems for the Golden Knights.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
isn't CSN Bay Area now NBC Sports Bay Area under that banner, that eventually all CSN's MAY TAG the NBC Sports banner, but how much confusion between a RSN and NBC's sports channel aka NBCSN?

Remember, too, Denver's media is Altitude, much like NESN co-exists with CSN-NE.

Last edited by a moderator:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Mid summer.

But one gotta wonder if that's accurate (time-frame wise). Let's remember that TSN (yes the network that won the battle for local TV rights) was running a Jets-o-Meter as early as January, they most likely knew what was happening behind the curtains and were already in negotiations.

problem could be the asking price

nfl is only part of the problem

Considering the subject of this thread, NFL is not a problem at all, there is no local-NFL tv rights.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
These new TV deals are on the backside of the curve (bubble). Las Vegas market aside, there's a pulling back of the insanely high dollar deals of recent years for a lot of teams and leagues throughout the whole spectrum of sports. But you already knew that.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
What's probably happening.

Las Vegas is talking to multiple potential TV rights partners searching for the highest bid.

NY Post

Well they haven't gotten a TV rights partner yet so that obviously means they're struggling to find one.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
What's probably happening.

Las Vegas is talking to multiple potential TV rights partners searching for the highest bid.

NY Post

Well they haven't gotten a TV rights partner yet so that obviously means they're struggling to find one.

The article said they have received offers so finding one doesn't seem to be an issue. It's the value of those offers being just north of 10 million/year.

So yes, they're still in search for the highest bid and there's still plenty of time. Even if it's low as long as they can avoid a long term, they should be OK down the road.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
But one gotta wonder if that's accurate (time-frame wise). Let's remember that TSN (yes the network that won the battle for local TV rights) was running a Jets-o-Meter as early as January, they most likely knew what was happening behind the curtains and were already in negotiations.

You are correct.

True North had a great relationship with CJOB who did all the Moose 1.0 games.

Being loyal, they gave CJOB every opportunity to be the radio rights holder.

TSN 1290 outbid them and the deal was announced mid summer.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
lets try to add up some numbers for LV GK:

"Sponsorship spending on the National Hockey League and the league's 30 clubs is expected to total $447 million in the 2014-2015 season"

National TV money is 200 million from NBC, 400 million (american) Rogers, lets say 200 million TVA Sports and overseas deals. (25 million each team)

Lets say each team does 20 million each in merchandise. Gate is 17000 x 65 x 41= 45 million (including suites, parking, concessions)

14 million + 45 million+ 25 million= 84 million

Their costs would have to be 114 million in year one if they are going to lose 30 million and that is impossible.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Re: the reported 30 million in losses. Do we know if Foley and co. paid the expansion fee in cash or are they financing all part it?

If amoratized over 30 years, looking at 17 million a year to pay back plus interest charges.

The debt repayment with that kind of with such a large sum, plus their share of TV and other central revenues being by 31 instead of 30. Losses of that size with a small media deal doesn't seem so unrealistic

Edit below: yes TVA sub leases from Rogers so it's not revenues for the other owners. Plus the Roger deal is paid in CAD with the Canadian based teams getting 35% off the start so 65% to divide by the 24 US based owners.

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

"Sponsorship spending on the National Hockey League and the league's 30 clubs is expected to total $447 million in the 2014-2015 season"

National TV money is 200 million from NBC, 400 million (american) Rogers, lets say 200 million TVA Sports and overseas deals. (25 million each team)

Lets say each team does 20 million each in merchandise. Gate is 17000 x 65 x 41= 45 million (including suites, parking, concessions)

Their costs would have to be 114 million in year one if they are going to lose 30 million and that is impossible.

Didn't TVA sub lease their rights from Rogers?

whlscowt

Those are really high projections without considering operating costs. I'd be really surprised if teams were netting 20 million a year in merch.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
I have said from day 1 that TV rights in Vegas would be a huge problem.

Vegas is the 40th largest TV market in the US which makes it the smallest in the NHL outside of Buffalo - however the Sabres can also pick up eyeballs in Rochester and Syracuse, Vegas has no such option.

I have to assume when the NHL vetted Vegas as a market they told Foley what to expect for TV revenue.

And yet they consistently get higher hockey ratings that almost all non-NHL cities and many cities that actually do have a team.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/would-an-nhl-team-in-las-vegas-be-a-good-gamble

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Those are really high projections without considering operating costs. I'd be really surprised if teams were netting 20 million a year in merch.

for an expansion team, I think 20 million is doable. They are selling Golden Knights merch at like 30 locations right now and NHL.com

Someone else said TVA sub-leased Rogers and that is correct, I missed that. However the league still does have international deals with many countries.

Teams that are spending to the salary cap have costs above 100 million. I find it extremely hard to believe that an NHL team with 55 million payroll has 45 million in other costs. That is outrageous.

Simple numbers; 50 million in NHL money, 40 million gate from 41 home games plus pre-season. At least 100 million coming in when building is full.

What it's like in year 3 is a different conversation.

EDIT

https://www.quora.com/What-revenues-and-expenses-exist-for-an-NHL-team

found this article on the coyotes bankrupcy in 2009. National numbers are way stronger now. Coyotes losses came from very low ticket revenue and big arena management costs.

Last edited:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

Considering the subject of this thread, NFL is not a problem at all, there is no local-NFL tv rights.

Wouldn't the local tv companies be doing their due diligence in vetting what the corporate community is going to pay for advertising for them to make money from buying the tv rights of the Knights?

Is the Raiders arrival in the coming years having an impact as those corporate dollars are being saved to go towards the Raiders.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
How do local rights work in the states? I am certain Vegas can sell in the Nevada market but that is only 3M people. Does the league allow teams to sell rights to states who don't have a team(say like Oregon or Washington State?)

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
How do local rights work in the states? I am certain Vegas can sell in the Nevada market but that is only 3M people. Does the league allow teams to sell rights to states who don't have a team(say like Oregon or Washington State?)

They are network rights, not state rights. For example when I lived in Oklahoma I got Stars games because FS Southwest covered Oklahoma. Oregon and Washington(where I live now) are currently outside of any NHL tv network however regional sports are covered by ROOT Northwest. I know Idaho gets Avs games so they're covered by that ROOT network.

Las Vegas can either join an existing network(CSN-CA or ROOT would be my guesses) or they can create their own affiliate. State boundaries aren't an issue but market saturation could be(for example FS West already carries the Ducks and Kings).

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Ahh, nice to see the Post back in the game with its anonymous "hockey exec" sources, like the ones who said Andrew Barroway was going to flip the Coyotes to Foley a year and a half ago.

Nice to see consistency in the agenda peddling, though.

I remember 'ol Brooksie boasting he had three confirmed sources that Barroway would never buy in.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They are network rights, not state rights. For example when I lived in Oklahoma I got Stars games because FS Southwest covered Oklahoma. Oregon and Washington(where I live now) are currently outside of any NHL tv network however regional sports are covered by ROOT Northwest. I know Idaho gets Avs games so they're covered by that ROOT network.

The league should look into selling packages of other networks games to non NHL markets(basically on nights that don't interfere with NBC sports) even if it's just a case of CBC coverage on Saturday nights for places like Washington or Mississippi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad