UPDATE 3/31- NEWSDAY - Coliseum gets $6M for renovation to host Isles

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
How would it always be in the black? The deal the Islanders get from Barclays Center will be renegotiated, heavily in favor of Barclays Center. The Islanders getting paid a fixed amount for all the tickets and concessions will be a pipe dream.

My personal opinion is that it will be renegotiated, and that is what this whole dog and pony show has been about.... posturing on both sides to gain leverage.

How the Islanders finances come out depends on what is agreed upon, but it will still be better than what they had in Nassau. Islanders ownership isn't going to agree to a renegotiation that puts them in a worse situation than the one they had.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I believe they will fix the pipes, both sides will take some of the financial responsibility (mostly from the Islanders by way of ticket surcharge), in return the yearly guaranteed money will be lowered, but the Islanders will get more from ticket sales (taking the risk away from Barclays).

Edit: This isn't to say the Islanders aren't really interested in Belmont, I believe they are. I just see it as the longest of long shots, and believe they know this as well.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/rfp/Belmont_Addendum3_QA.PDF

Addendum #3
Release Date: September 6, 2017

'When and where will there be an
opportunity for community input?

On July 10, 2017, prior to the release of the
RFP, ESD attended a community listening
session for the redevelopment of Belmont
Park. Feedback from this session was recorded
and incorporated by ESD into the RFP.
Future opportunities for community input will
arise during a public process which will include
public hearings and public meetings.

What role, if any, in the approval process
will Nassau County and/or the Town of
Hempstead play?
As part of the ESD General Project Plan
approval under the UDC Act, ESD will seek a
letter of consent from the local municipality
.'

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
http://www.qchron.com/editions/quee...cle_0ceca60f-8d89-5482-a5de-87a4d361b181.html

'Posted: Thursday, September 7, 2017 10:30 am
by Christopher Barca, Associate Editor

Incumbent Borough President Melinda Katz spends most of her days constantly running from engagement to engagement and meeting to meeting, just as she did last week before and after she sat down for an interview with the Chronicle at the newspaper’s Glendale office...

Looking ahead to the next four years, if re-elected, Katz called either a hockey or soccer stadium being built in Willets Point in the near future very realistic, with the New York Islanders and New York City Football Club seen as possible tenants.

I would like to see soccer, at least, at Willets Point, along with affordable housing, she said. I wish the Islanders would come in. I'm a big advocate for that.

Right now, only about 35 acres has the city taken over, she added. So you wouldn't probably be able to do the Islanders plus a soccer stadium there. If there's only one, I want soccer and affordable housing....'

Notice that Katz talks about Willets Point, but leaves out an adjacent area
MAP%2BOF%2BWILLETS%2BPOINT.jpg

Last edited:

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...u-coliseum-as-option-for-islanders-1.14123267

September 8, 2017 1:54 PM
By Jim Baumbach and Steve Zipay [email protected], [email protected]

“I don’t view the Nassau Coliseum as a viable option,†Bettman said Friday at a news conference at Citi Field to announce the Winter Classic outdoor game between the Rangers and Buffalo Sabres on Jan. 1, 2018...

Mets chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon added, “It’s their call, and like the commissioner said, they have a bunch of good options and they’re going to play them all out, we’ll see what happens.â€

When Bettman was asked if the metropolitan area could support an additional arena, the commissioner said, “My own belief is, yes.â€

The state in July sent a Request for Proposals at Belmont Racetrack, which is state run, and the deadline to submit proposals is Sept. 28...

The state says it has no timeline for a decision...'

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
https://www.nysportsday.com/2017/09/08/commissioner-gary-bettman-to-the-nassau-coliseum-drop-dead/

'Speaking at the Winter Classic press conference today at Citi Field, the commissioner kept reiterating when asked about the Islanders old home, “I don’t the Nassau Coliseum as a viable option.â€..

According to the commissioner, the Islanders are looking at their options right now when it comes to a new arena and they are being advises by Jeff Wilpon, the COO of the Mets, who was also on hand today.

“We are working with the Islanders and it’s their call,†Wilpon said. “They have a bunch of good options and we see how it plays out.â€...

Bettman was speaking at the Winter Classic press conference, which will feature the Rangers taking on the Buffalo Sabres on New Year’s Day...

“The Islanders and Devils are great franchises and an integral part of the league, but this is a nationally televised game,†Bettman said. “We had to weigh that in ding it.â€

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
https://www.nysportsday.com/2017/09/08/commissioner-gary-bettman-to-the-nassau-coliseum-drop-dead/

'Speaking at the Winter Classic press conference today at Citi Field, the commissioner kept reiterating when asked about the Islanders old home, “I don’t the Nassau Coliseum as a viable option.â€..

According to the commissioner, the Islanders are looking at their options right now when it comes to a new arena and they are being advises by Jeff Wilpon, the COO of the Mets, who was also on hand today.

“We are working with the Islanders and it’s their call,†Wilpon said. “They have a bunch of good options and we see how it plays out.â€...

Bettman was speaking at the Winter Classic press conference, which will feature the Rangers taking on the Buffalo Sabres on New Year’s Day...

“The Islanders and Devils are great franchises and an integral part of the league, but this is a nationally televised game,†Bettman said. “We had to weigh that in doing it.â€

What is the context of the Bettman quote? Was he asked why the Islanders or Devils aren't playing the Rangers?

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
What is the context of the Bettman quote? Was he asked why the Islanders or Devils aren't playing the Rangers?

I'd have to believe that's the case. I know that the Sabres do well TV-wise in their market, but do they really bring in sizeable numbers nationally? I'd think they would have had the Rangers play the Bruins over the Sabres..

But in terms of the Devils and Islanders, one major complication is that they really can't include one team and not the other. The ownership/team missing out would be livid. That's why they had 2 outdoor games for the Stadium Series, which wasn't really fair to NYR though they won both games anyway.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
http://nypost.com/2017/09/09/nhl-on-islanders-nassau-coliseum-hopes-keep-dreaming/

'By Brett Cyrgalis

September 9, 2017 | 1:36am

One of those options could be developing a new arena at Belmont Park, as majority owners Jon Ledecky and Scott Malkin refine their proposal plan which is due to the state no later than Sept. 28...

During the Islanders’ process of exploring this Belmont site, they have consulted with Oak View Group, a development group backed by Madison Square Garden, as well as Sterling Project Development, run by the Mets. The Mets COO, Jeff Wilpon..

“We represent and are working with the Islanders, and it’s their call,†Wilpon said. “Like the commissioner said, they have a bunch of good options, and we’re going to play them all out and see what happens.â€

The biggest question with a new arena would be if the New York market could sustain another sports venue. Wilpon’s Citi Field has started playing host to more and more concerts...'

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The biggest question with a new arena would be if the New York market could sustain another sports venue. WilponÂ’s Citi Field has started playing host to more and more concerts...'
Well, the biggest question is who is risking that kind of money to build another arena in the boonies,if anyone

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I was implying Isles and Mets may work together for a rink on the CF lot instead of Belmont

Exactly. If you are building over there you don't want to be turning up the soil where the chop shops are. No idea what can turn up(chemicals, bodies, etc.). Much safer to pave that and build in the current parking lot.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/rfp/Belmont_Addendum_4_QA.pdf

Release Date: September 8, 2017

With the approval of night racing at
Belmont Park and the potential for yearround
racing at Belmont Park,
the host
communities are already preparing for
those additional burdens being placed on its
residences surrounding Belmont Park.
How
will these new/additional attractions impact
the ESD's decision for Parcel A and B
development at Belmont Park?

ESD will evaluate Proposals against the
Selection Criteria outlined in the RFP.
ESD has
reached out to NYRA, and NYRA does not
expect any increased attendance arising from
the expanded racing schedule to impact the
property significantly...

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/rfp/Belmont_Addendum_4_QA.pdf

Release Date: September 8, 2017

With the approval of night racing at
Belmont Park and the potential for yearround
racing at Belmont Park,
the host
communities are already preparing for
those additional burdens being placed on its
residences surrounding Belmont Park.
How
will these new/additional attractions impact
the ESD's decision for Parcel A and B
development at Belmont Park?

ESD will evaluate Proposals against the
Selection Criteria outlined in the RFP.
ESD has
reached out to NYRA, and NYRA does not
expect any increased attendance arising from
the expanded racing schedule to impact the
property significantly...

Are Respondents required to include the
Cost Letter and the check in the amount of
$1,000,000 when submitting a Proposal?
What will happen if the check expires by the
time the Designated Developer is selected?

Respondents are required to include both the
signed Cost Letter provided in Appendix D and
a check in the amount of $1,000,000 when
submitting a Proposal.

ESD will not deposit and will return all unused
Cost Letter payment
amounts to each Respondent that is not
designated for a short list or designated to
enter into negotiations with ESD and FOB
when it is determined that the Respondent is
no longer under consideration.

ESD will work with the Designated Developer
at the appropriate time in the RFP process to
facilitate the depositing of the Cost Letter
payment amount.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I was implying Isles and Mets may work together for a rink on the CF lot instead of Belmont

A lot of those chop shops have been torn down already. Pretty much all from the subway up to across from the entrance to McFaddens. From what I understand they are paving that area to make it long term parking for Laguardia, for at least while Laguardia is getting it's facelift. No idea on the plans after that, if there even is one in place. I like to park under the Whitestone for Mets games (the yellow line adjacent to the green on the top of the map, so obviously I would rather not see an arena in that place.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
A lot of those chop shops have been torn down already. Pretty much all from the subway up to across from the entrance to McFaddens. From what I understand they are paving that area to make it long term parking for Laguardia, for at least while Laguardia is getting it's facelift. No idea on the plans after that, if there even is one in place. I like to park under the Whitestone for Mets games (the yellow line adjacent to the green on the top of the map, so obviously I would rather not see an arena in that place.

It seems Governor Cuomo has in mind the Willets Point area across the street from Citi Field for long term parking, a centralized rental car center, and the right of way for the AirTrain to LaGuardia Airport.
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/go...-takes-important-next-step-laguardia-airtrain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad