UPDATE 3/31- NEWSDAY - Coliseum gets $6M for renovation to host Isles

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
So if NYCFC does put in a bid, is could considered a serious challenge to the Isles plan?

Both would have strong backing and with local ties with the Yankees owning 20% of the MLS team.

Does which sports come into play over which one would be more favoured.

On one hand, there are 2 15-20K seat indoor arenas (not looking at New Jersey) and another 13K building not far away. The region doesn't have a modern soccer venue on the NY side of the Stateline. Would that play a role?

On the other hand, a new arena for the Islanders brings 41+ dates a year plus whatever concerts and minor league sports they can bring in. A soccer stadium would have far less use but if there are many that oppose the re-development, does less mean more?

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Given that NYCFC's entire existence seems to be based on being able to claim they are within the 5 boroughs, I'm not sure how well they'd manage moving to Belmont, especially given that their fan base is made up in large part by people who were never willing to take the PATH out to Harrison before.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
So if NYCFC does put in a bid, is could considered a serious challenge to the Isles plan?

Both would have strong backing and with local ties with the Yankees owning 20% of the MLS team.

Does which sports come into play over which one would be more favoured.

On one hand, there are 2 15-20K seat indoor arenas (not looking at New Jersey) and another 13K building not far away. The region doesn't have a modern soccer venue on the NY side of the Stateline. Would that play a role?

On the other hand, a new arena for the Islanders brings 41+ dates a year plus whatever concerts and minor league sports they can bring in. A soccer stadium would have far less use but if there are many that oppose the re-development, does less mean more?

Perhaps addition of the following could make it difficult for the Isles https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/rfp/Belmont_Addendum1.pdf

Addendum #1
Release Date: August 16, 2017
1) The Selection Criteria on Page 15 has been revised to include the following criteria in “Overall
Projectâ€:
Overall economic benefits of the Project, including but not limited to local jobs and local
economic impacts that supports community revitalization and sustainability.

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/rfp/Belmont RFP.pdf

Overall Project • Extent to which proposed Project strengthens Belmont as a premier
destination for entertainment, sports, recreation, retail and
hospitality on Long Island
30%

To me the addition of overall economic benefits of the project clause where sustainability is involved among other things no longer guarantees the project that generates the most $$$ to win, as the overall economic benefits clause seems pretty broad that may include nuisance to the community

Given that NYCFC's entire existence seems to be based on being able to claim they are within the 5 boroughs, I'm not sure how well they'd manage moving to Belmont, especially given that their fan base is made up in large part by people who were never willing to take the PATH out to Harrison before.

Or get Nassau County and NYC to redraw the border so that half of lot B goes to NYC/Queens, while Nassau gets all of the property north of B including the Belmont LIRR, since that rearrangement would make NYCFC part of NYC, even though the other half of the stadium (this could also apply to the Isles) is in Nassau.

Belmont-RFP-site-map.jpg

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Perhaps addition of the following could make it difficult for the Isles https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/rfp/Belmont_Addendum1.pdf

Addendum #1
Release Date: August 16, 2017
1) The Selection Criteria on Page 15 has been revised to include the following criteria in “Overall
Projectâ€:
Overall economic benefits of the Project, including but not limited to local jobs and local
economic impacts that supports community revitalization and sustainability.

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/rfp/Belmont RFP.pdf

Overall Project • Extent to which proposed Project strengthens Belmont as a premier
destination for entertainment, sports, recreation, retail and
hospitality on Long Island
30%

To me the addition of overall economic benefits of the project clause where sustainability is involved among other things no longer guarantees the project that generates the most $$$ to win, as the overall economic benefits clause seems pretty broad that may include nuisance to the community

Or get Nassau County and NYC to redraw the border so that half of lot B goes to NYC/Queens, while Nassau gets all of the property north of B including the Belmont LIRR, since that rearrangement would make NYCFC part of NYC, even though the other half of the stadium (this could also apply to the Isles) is in Nassau.

Belmont-RFP-site-map.jpg
In all honesty, I don't know anyone who considers Belmont part of Nassau.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
It's kind of irrelevant whether or not the border is redrawn, New York City FC exists solely because people whined for years about how awful it was that there weren't MLS teams located three minutes from their house in Queens and Brooklyn.

Their existence is heavily predicated on being in the city, and not just in a token manner. If they aren't on actual subway lines they will be no different than the Red Bulls

Jersey Guy

Feb 22, 2015
Northvale,New Jersey
It's kind of irrelevant whether or not the border is redrawn, New York City FC exists solely because people whined for years about how awful it was that there weren't MLS teams located three minutes from their house in Queens and Brooklyn.

Their existence is heavily predicated on being in the city, and not just in a token manner. If they aren't on actual subway lines they will be no different than the Red Bulls
Actually the Red Bull Arena is located on a subway line. The PATH Train is a rapid transit line just like the NYC subways and not a commuter train line like NJ Transit, the LIRR or Metro-North.

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
This could be interesting to watch this year as well. New York City is a big market, is the market big enough to handle another new arena that's suitable for hockey? I would think so.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
https://eyesonisles.com/2017/08/28/new-york-islanders-nycfc-belmont-competition/

'Like the New York Islanders, NYCFC is on the look out for a site to build a new stadium. Also, like the Islanders, the team has looked at Belmont Park as a possibility to be its new home. It is reported that the architecture firm building the soccer team’s new training facility was in Belmont Park last week.

NYCFC could very well re-sign at Yankee Stadium but that just doesn’t seem like a long-term solution. Like the Islanders and the Barclays Center, it’s fair to say Yankee Stadium wants them out.

While it doesn’t seem that NYCFC has made a bid for Belmont, having a new contender in the process is a little disheartening. Especially one with the financial might of Manchester City and their owner Sheikh Mansour who has an estimated wealth of $20 billion all to himself...'

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
Here in Ottawa we have Lansdowne Park which has TD Place Stadium and TD Place Arena right beside each other.

Could something like that be worked out for New York? If any city in North America could host all these arenas it's New York.

actually, it won't be Baltimore... the Wizards already have a G-League team, Cacciaguida, @ the new SE Washington Practice facility---it just has yet to be named, owned by Monumental..

Baltimore doesn't have to affiliate with Washington. In fact if they want their own identity I would avoid it.

I'm watching all these NBA teams putting their minor league franchises in the same markets as their pro teams and I'm doubting the longevity of their plans.

Last edited:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Here in Ottawa we have Lansdowne Park which has TD Place Stadium and TD Place Arena right beside each other.

Could something like that be worked out for New York? If any city in North America could host all these arenas it's New York.

Baltimore doesn't have to affiliate with Washington. In fact if they want their own identity I would avoid it.

I'm watching all these NBA teams putting their minor league franchises in the same markets as their pro teams and I'm doubting the longevity of their plans.
Could work by Citi Field as the baseball stadium is there and there is land to build an arena. I guess Belmont if you could the horse track. Otherwise, no. Unless, you count the Meadowlands, too.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Perhaps local pols don't want the Isles at Belmont either.

http://www.qchron.com/editions/quee...cle_a8ce3b14-dce9-587b-b88c-a196e8157153.html

'Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 10:30 am
by Ryan Brady, Associate Editor

Eastern Queens lawmakers joined Assemblywoman Michaelle Solages (D-Nassau) last Friday outside Belmont Park to call on the MTA to consider making the racecourse a permanent park-and-ride location.

The Elmont, LI track, which has a Long Island Rail Road station that does not operate year-round, is located on Queens’ eastern border in an area not known for strong public transportation...

The lawmakers have also written their request in a letter to Gov. Cuomo...

In response to the politicians’ proposal, the MTA said it would cause problems...

NYRA did not immediately return a request for comment...'

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
this is what pizzes me off the most about modern day sports....it's 2017 and some teams are STILL playing in old dumps or temporary accommodations like the Isles. a whole lot of politicking from various level of governments and NIMBY's that can delay getting new arenas built, to the point where the NFL's Chargers and Raiders and Rams all have/will have new homes and the Isles having to abandon a dump arena for a basketball arena that seems to no longer want them there. and don't even get me started on the Arizona Coyotes!! :facepalm:

Reactions: Thrive

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
this is what pizzes me off the most about modern day sports....it's 2017 and some teams are STILL playing in old dumps or temporary accommodations like the Isles. a whole lot of politicking from various level of governments and NIMBY's that can delay getting new arenas built, to the point where the NFL's Chargers and Raiders and Rams all have/will have new homes and the Isles having to abandon a dump arena for a basketball arena that seems to no longer want them there. and don't even get me started on the Arizona Coyotes!! :facepalm:

While it will be best for the Isles to leave the Barclays ASAP, there are those allegedly don't want them in other places, such as Belmont.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I disagree that leaving Barclays would be best for the Islanders, unless another Arena is built in a suitable location. For the health of the franchise, the most viable option right now is fixing the pipes in Barclays. Moving back to Nassau Coliseum is the absolute worst option, regardless of the ice in Brooklyn.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I disagree that leaving Barclays would be best for the Islanders, unless another Arena is built in a suitable location. For the health of the franchise, the most viable option right now is fixing the pipes in Barclays. Moving back to Nassau Coliseum is the absolute worst option, regardless of the ice in Brooklyn.
Bingo. Even Belmont won't be better because as long as the franchise exists in Barclays, it's in the black.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Bingo. Even Belmont won't be better because as long as the franchise exists in Barclays, it's in the black.

How would it always be in the black? The deal the Islanders get from Barclays Center will be renegotiated, heavily in favor of Barclays Center. The Islanders getting paid a fixed amount for all the tickets and concessions will be a pipe dream.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
http://qns.com/story/2017/08/28/can-belmont-park-winning-ticket-new-commuting-hub-southeast-queens/

'By Robert Pozarycki / [email protected] / Monday, August 28, 2017 / 2:00 PM

“Our city has a great opportunity to expand access and opportunity for the residents of Eastern Queens and Western Nassau,†added Congressman Gregory Meeks. “The establishment of permanent bus or railroad service at Belmont Park would serve as an essential transit hub for communities that have historically been ignored by public transportation programs.â€

Also supporting a permanent transit hub at Belmont Park were state Senator Leroy Comrie and Assembly members Michaelle C. Solages, Clyde Vanel and David Weprin.

Many questions surround the future of the 450-acre Belmont Park property...'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad