Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Possibly not much to see here since he is now 21-years-old but curious about well-traveled Robert Arrack from Estonia. Played junior hockey in the USHL and Finland and also played for Estonia's men's team during the Olympic qualifying tournament.

Robert Arrak at eliteprospects.com

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Watching this Austria-Swiss game on TSN I can tell after just one period Mathias Bohm is a pretty good prospect. Looked him up he's 2021 eligible forward with great size from Austria.

whynot4949

Mar 15, 2021
I recently discovered another Italian boy, Tommaso De Luca at eliteprospects.com He will turn 16 years old at December, 29 and he plays with the U20 of Ambri Piotta in Switzerland (has 6 goals and 1 assist in 14 games as a rookie). Does anyone know something interesting about him?

was born in Italy 29.12.2004 but since he's U13 he plays in Switzerland, first in Red Ice Martigny and now in Ambri Piotta, quick and technical player, with excellent game vision.
I leave you a link with a video of the season.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
A Ukrainian, Artur Cholach, was selected 190th in the 2021 draft by the Vegas Golden Knights.

And Emil Martinsen Lilleberg, from Norway, went 107th to the Arizona Coyotes.

Last, I'll mention Andrei Buyalski from Kazakhstan, 92nd overall to the Colorado Avalanche, only because he is the first Kazakhstani selected in a draft since 2004, when both Viktor Alexandrov (83rd) Maxim Semenov (220th overall) were drafted.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Just saw a Jack Hopkins ('04) video of him lighting up a lower level in England

He's an underdeveloped goal scoring winger that would be a good project for an EIHL team to take on if they cared about developing players. I don't see that happening so I doubt he'll be on the NHL radar this year but who knows

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Jack Hopkins (May '04) just signed his first men's hockey contract with Telford in the NIHL, and will also be training with Elite League Nottingham. Most exciting forward prospect since Kirk and following a very similar path. Caveat here is that Nottingham's quality of player is well behind Sheffield's at the same ages.

FULL COMPARISON

upload_2021-8-19_21-0-19.png

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Jack Hopkins (May '04) just signed his first men's hockey contract with Telford in the NIHL, and will also be training with Elite League Nottingham. Most exciting forward prospect since Kirk and following a very similar path. Caveat here is that Nottingham's quality of player is well behind Sheffield's at the same ages.

FULL COMPARISON

View attachment 461724

Something worth noting is that before the 2016/17 season the junior leagues in England were split into 2 divisions per region. From 2016/17 onwards they have been split into 3 so you typically only get 6 teams in the best division with the worse teams pushed into Division 2. In the old days when it was around 10 teams in the best division the games between the top and bottom were often very uncompetitive. So in Kirk's day it would've been a lot easier to put up big points.

Reactions: ChaiTiefling

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

FULL COMPARISON

View attachment 461724
I’ll post some context to the stats in the German u-17 league.
Nils Herzog who produced 11 points in 8 games being a younger player for the same team isn’t realistically on the radar of being drafted at the moment.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I’ll post some context to the stats in the German u-17 league.
Nils Herzog who produced 11 points in 8 games being a younger player for the same team isn’t realistically on the radar of being drafted at the moment.

They're both 04s and combined for 11 of the 15 goals their team scored because it was the 2nd worst team in the league. It's tough to really pull context when players are in such a bad position.

Edit: Should mention, I don't think he gets drafted. I think he would need to be a regular in the EIHL and contributing positively in a regular role and I doubt Nottingham will provide that. Even if he was an exactly replica of Liam Kirk at the same age, I don't think Nottingham will do it. But I would love to be wrong.

Reactions: ChaiTiefling

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
They're both 04s and combined for 11 of the 15 goals their team scored because it was the 2nd worst team in the league. It's tough to really pull context when players are in such a bad position.

Edit: Should mention, I don't think he gets drafted. I think he would need to be a regular in the EIHL and contributing positively in a regular role and I doubt Nottingham will provide that. Even if he was an exactly replica of Liam Kirk at the same age, I don't think Nottingham will do it. But I would love to be wrong.
For more context, the highest scoring player in that league this season (Lasse Bach) is another player who will go undrafted. He had 22 points in 6gp and is younger.
Nothing against the guy man, just providing context into this situation as someone who knows German hockey.

The best German 16y/o players aren’t playing in the u-17 league, they’re playing in the DEL, DEL2, Red Bull Academy, or the DNL u-20 league. The u-17 league is more for the best 15 year olds in Germany.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
For more context, the highest scoring player in that league this season (Lasse Bach) is another player who will go undrafted. He had 22 points in 6gp and is younger.
Nothing against the guy man, just providing context into this situation as someone who knows German hockey.

The best German 16y/o players aren’t playing in the u-17 league, they’re playing in the DEL, DEL2, Red Bull Academy, or the DNL u-20 league. The u-17 league is more for the best 15 year olds in Germany.

Just to add even more context into this situation, Jack Hopkins didn't plan on going to Germany last season. Plans would have been required for RB Academy or DNL U20. Hockey was shut down in England and he happened to have a connection in Weißwasser that was able to get him some ice time. He played junior hockey with Corey Neilsons son in Nottingham who happened to be a DEL2 coach in Weißwasser at the time.

The best German 16 y/o players don't count as imports in DEL or DEL2 so I guess that means nothing to Jack Hopkins? Weißwasser didn't have a DNL U20 team. He made the best of a tough situation during a pandemic, you're starting to get weird about this.

Should I compare these stats and say Hopkins = Lukas Reichel when it comes to goal scoring based on these Germany U17 stats, 1st round pick 2022 ezpz?

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 12.18.41 AM.png

In the context of GB and up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries, Jack Hopkins is a promising forward.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
May as well throw out the name Konrad Lörincz then since he scored at a PPG pace in the German u-17 league, he’s a year younger than that Hopkins guy too who put up similar numbers in the same league so he must be an NHL prospect.
It says he’s from Hungaria/Romanina.

Konrad Lörincz at eliteprospects.com

You could. It would be weird though. You have so little information on the player that your entire take is based on stat watching in a 5 game sample. And you're only bringing him up because people didn't dismiss Jack Hopkins based on your stat watching take when Hopkins has an entire body of work in his own country + full games on YouTube for people to watch + a highlight video if you're too lazy to watch the games. You made it weird in here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad