Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Are there any good, young players who have a good shot at being drafted in the next few years? I know there is Konstantin Komarek from Austria, but that's as far as my international hockey knowledge takes me.

By non-traditional I mean any country that is not: Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia or Switzerland.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Regarding Zemgus Girgensons, in the near future you might see more good kids from Latvia. They have a few highly skilled 96-born forwards that could develop into big stars in right conditions. The competition that they're facing at the moment isn't really helping the development of their overall game, but the skill level is something special.

Does anyone know anything about Mario Huber?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Are there any good, young players who have a good shot at being drafted in the next few years? I know there is Konstantin Komarek from Austria, but that's as far as my international hockey knowledge takes me.

By non-traditional I mean any country that is not: Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia or Switzerland.

I am going to keep an eye out for these guys from Germany:

Dennis Arnold
Christian Scharr

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010
Another interesting Latvia prospect is Rihards Bukarts. Leading scorer of Latvia (as underager) on U17 Youth olympic tournament 2011 (2+2 in 3 games). His excellent goal against Slovakia - video.
IIHF WC division I and division II countries:
Nathan Walker Australia - there were rumours about czech nationality for him to allow represent Czech republic, but nowadays he is playing WC Division IIA in Australia jersey.
Roberto Gliga Romania - sure not NHL prospect, but could be very influential player for Romania national team and maybe player for any european top league
Some Croatia guys playing abroad (Slovakia, Finland, Austria) leading by star GK Mate Kresimir Tomljenovic, then F Petar Trstenjak (1992), F Dominik Kanaet (1991), Borna Rendulic (1992), D Borna Silovic (1993), D Luka Markovic (1993), F Luka Vukoja (1995) and for example F Mislav Rosandic (1995) gained 45 points in 44 games during this season Slovakia U18 league. There is not real NHL-prospect, but some players could reach higher level than EBEL-league in jersey of Medvescak Zagreb.
Other european rising countries are Hungary and Spain (Spain play first time ever division I this year).

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
I just copied this from another post i made in another thread here.

Markus Søberg is in my opinion the most talented Norwegian hockey-player ever. His skating is mindblowing and he plays very physical hockey. He can score goals and creates offense on his own. Should work on his stickhandling and get some more muscles but that will come with age. He reminds me a lot of Mikael Bødker at the same age.

He will play for Frolunda J20 next year. He will also be playing for Team Norway at the Under 18`s in Germany this year. He could be Norways first 1.rounder ever in 2013.

The 94 and 95 generation in Norway looks like one of the strongest ever. I doubt there will be many NHLers but at least a few of these guys will end up in Sweden in a few years.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Another interesting Latvia prospect is Rihards Bukarts. Leading scorer of Latvia (as underager) on U17 Youth olympic tournament 2011 (2+2 in 3 games). His excellent goal against Slovakia - video.
IIHF WC division I and division II countries:
Nathan Walker Australia - there were rumours about czech nationality for him to allow represent Czech republic, but nowadays he is playing WC Division IIA in Australia jersey.
Roberto Gliga Romania - sure not NHL prospect, but could be very influential player for Romania national team and maybe player for any european top league
Some Croatia guys playing abroad (Slovakia, Finland, Austria) leading by star GK Mate Kresimir Tomljenovic, then F Petar Trstenjak (1992), F Dominik Kanaet (1991), Borna Rendulic (1992), D Borna Silovic (1993), D Luka Markovic (1993), F Luka Vukoja (1995) and for example F Mislav Rosandic (1995) gained 45 points in 44 games during this season Slovakia U18 league. There is not real NHL-prospect, but some players could reach higher level than EBEL-league in jersey of Medvescak Zagreb.
Other european rising countries are Hungary and Spain (Spain play first time ever division I this year).

Trstenjak has enough talent to be solid player for example in Slovakian Extraliga in the future.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Edgars Klavins from Latvia have had a good season in Sweden,very likely not good enough to be considered for the draft, but still his stats look good for his age. It's hard to tell really how good 45 points in 32 games in SEL-4 is, noone has ever been drafted from that league. His also finished second in scoring in the u-18 league, but he is born 1993 which make it good, but not mindblowing.
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=32993

Norbert Hari has from Hungary has put up 19 points in 22 games in u-18 league in Sweden, that's some seriously good stats for a guy born 1995. He is extremelÿ tiny right now, but what if he starts to grow?
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=85692

Luis Joshua Gimenez-Madill is pehaps the next big NHL-star from spain? Who knows really, but at least he has produced some points as a 15-year old in the u-18 league in Sweden which should be considered good.
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=89822

Well, well remember that it was here you heard about theese guys first :P.

It's fun that there is some players from around europe that choses to develop in Sweden. The majority of the danes and norwegians that play in NHL, has played in SEL or the swedish junior leagues first, Kopitar also develop nicely here, so maybe swedish juniors could be seen as a alternative to CHL for some europeans.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Wow, he's small.
I know he's just 14 but still, a growth spurt of at least 20 cm would be nice. :laugh:

True. :laugh:

But compared to some of the other kids that play in the German junior leagues he is not that small. But for international play he will definitely have to get bigger. At least he won't turn 15 until December, so he might yet reach 6 feet. Or at least get close to it.

He is a very long shot, but I found it intriguing that he is putting up decent numbers as a 14 year old in a league, where many players are 2 or 3 years older.
But I guess this guy is a little more promising Leon Draisaitl.
He sure has the hockey pedigree to become a good player.

Last edited:

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
Does anyone know a bit more about Markus Søberg?

What do you want to know ?

In adition to what i wrote earlier he has great work ethic, never gives up on a play. I talked to one of his coaches who told me that he is very serious about his hockey and has a great attitude. He should also grow at least a few more inches before he is fully grown.

He is from Oslo and grew up playing for Manglerud Star wich is known as "the talentfactory" in Norwegian hockey. He has dominated both the Norwegian junior leagues since he came back from Sweden around christmas.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

is that Australian kid actually going to get drafted?

highly doubt it... If he is it certainly won't be next year
Teams only get 7 picks and I doubt a GM will gamble on him... Maybe an AHL contract will be thrown his way and he can get into the NHL that way.. But I don't see him getting drafted.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.

The 17 year-old (turns 18 later this month) made the final roster for the Romanian Men's team and and will play in the Division II-B World Championship in Zagrab. He will definitely play a large role for the national team in the future.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
The best Estonia prospect is Robert Rooba.
He might have an outside chance of getting drafted in the later rounds. Big, has pretty good skill level and can exhibit some physical hockey if need to. His team work ability could be seen as a weakness at the moment, but it's often the case with these kids that come from really small hockey countries.

What about Michaill Tugo? Another Estonian kid.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
My guess is that both Nikolai Meyer from Denmark and Konstantin Komarek from Austria will be drafted this year. They both dominated in the wjc D1 as first time draft eligble which will get the scouts attention. Meyer was the top-scorer at that tournament. Komarek finished fourth in the scoring race and improved his stock even more by playing great in the SEl-playoffs. I will be surprised if they won't get drafted. Both have a good shot at playing fulltime senior hockey next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad