Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
If anything, I think the Habs gave Sekac the opportunity to become an NHL player. Played him with decent linemates, with decent minutes, and ultimately moved him to place that he would have a better chance at succeeding. I really don't think there was any situation and I don't think it reflects poorly on the organization.

There are many things more attractive about playing in Chicago than in Montreal, I doubt Sekac was an important of any discussion.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There are no promises made to traded players. Signing and trading guys within a few months of each other is seen as a black mark in hockey.

Ok what about the positive experiences that Diaz or Streit had?

None of those matter?

Or opportunity doesn't matter? Facilities? Living conditions?

There are SEVERAL things that players consider when evaluating potential free agent landing spots

None of you have ANY idea about what happened with Sekac...if Panarin wanted to sign in MTL, he would and to think that he would look at a situation with ONE particular player that didn't work out to base his entire decision on, is completely ludicrous

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Where do you guys come up with this stuff????

Sekac situation? What situation?

Did I miss a report where he was lured away from Europe with big promises only to be shoved in a dungeon and only allowed out on gamedays???

I don't get it???

I'd love to see how many situations like that happened. When a guy, UFA, who had the choice between so many teams, was often a healthy scratch, didn't get a lot of icetime, and then traded before finishing 1 season. If that happened a lot, then you are right....there are no situations. Since it won't be the case, you have to believe that whenever a player will have to choose between 5 to 10 teams, his agent might tell him that the situation in Montréal (read: Therrien) might not be ideal based on his style of play. As there's already an exemple of an "offensive" guy who didn't have even 1 full year to proove himself.

We're not playing in a 1-team league here. If players have the choice....I believe they would take everything into consideration and what happened to Sekac could be something to analyse for him. Not exactly saying that it will mean that we will never attract a UFA ever again....as money talks a whole lot.....but it could be tougher for a while.

I will say this though, what could help is Sekac finally not amounting to anything, never, and going back to Russia or something. Then, Habs could use the fact that the only "situation" that happened is that they thought Sekac was a good player but clearly he wasn't as he didn't please any other NHL teams anyway. If that happens, then there might not be a situation after all. Yet, I don't think we are there yet. Not sure if Sekac won't be traded again though....Ducks are quite a strong team, that also have depth, Sekac might be expendable.....but his next team, if ever, could be his final try. And then his case will be "reviewed". And if so, then, we will come back and say how much you were right and are our master. ;)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not the same situation at all.

Sekac agreed to sign here over 12 or so teams, just to be constantly scratched and then traded within months.

Do you really think that looks good on this organization?

I think it has NO BEARING on how this organization looks at all

Who the hell is Jiri Sekac? Suddenly, his name carries more clout than the most prestigious franchise in the NHL?

Give me a break...

I'd love to see how many situations like that happened. When a guy, UFA, who had the choice between so many teams, was often a healthy scratch, didn't get a lot of icetime, and then traded before finishing 1 season. If that happened a lot, then you are right....there are no situations. Since it won't be the case, you have to believe that whenever a player will have to choose between 5 to 10 teams, his agent might tell him that the situation in Montréal (read: Therrien) might not be ideal based on his style of play. As there's already an exemple of an "offensive" guy who didn't have even 1 full year to proove himself.

We're not playing in a 1-team league here. If players have the choice....I believe they would take everything into consideration and what happened to Sekac could be something to analyse for him. Not exactly saying that it will mean that we will never attract a UFA ever again....as money talks a whole lot.....but it could be tougher for a while.

I will say this though, what could help is Sekac finally not amounting to anything, never, and going back to Russia or something. Then, Habs could use the fact that the only "situation" that happened is that they thought Sekac was a good player but clearly he wasn't as he didn't please any other NHL teams anyway. If that happens, then there might not be a situation after all. Yet, I don't think we are there yet. Not sure if Sekac won't be traded again though....Ducks are quite a strong team, that also have depth, Sekac might be expendable.....but his next team, if ever, could be his final try. And then his case will be "reviewed". And if so, then, we will come back and say how much you were right and are our master. ;)

Ok a potential player could look at the Sekac situation, but they could also look at the Mark Streit situation or Raph Diaz situation...

You guys can spin this Sekac situation all you want, but the Habs owed him nothing but an opportunity, he got it...they didn't bury him in the minors, things didn't work out and they gave him an opportunity to move to another organization, that can be seen as positive more than anything else

There are TONS of factor much more important than Jiri Sekac's 3 months in MTL...

You guys can't be serious right now...

I mean, the guy was apparently considering signing in TORONTO...imagine, he considered signing in that cluster****, yet you're trying to tell me that he won't sign here cause Jiri Sekac got scratched a few times???

Dear Lord...I expect better from you WS

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Gotta think the Sekac situation cost us Panarin.

I doubt it

No one's inventing anything, Sekac had a lot of options, chose Montreal only to be traded after a couple months to a place he didn't choose, sure Anaheim is a nice place but it could've been Edmonton too.

Why would Panarin or whatever UFA choose Montreal knowing MB can just move him wherever he wants if hes not finding his groove right away, might as well choose a team that shows loyalty to their players.

What's to stop any GM from trading any UFA they sign to an ELC? Nothing.

Not the same situation at all.

Sekac agreed to sign here over 12 or so teams, just to be constantly scratched and then traded within months.

Do you really think that looks good on this organization?

I don't see it as a problem. The Habs were one of the best teams in the NHL for much of the season, Sekac was struggling to produce for a 2 month period. The Habs had to do whatever they needed to win games and it worked.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I think it has NO BEARING on how this organization looks at all

Who the hell is Jiri Sekac? Suddenly, his name carries more clout than the most prestigious franchise in the NHL?

Give me a break...

Ok a potential player could look at the Sekac situation, but they could also look at the Mark Streit situation or Raph Diaz situation...

You guys can spin this Sekac situation all you want, but the Habs owed him nothing but an opportunity, he got it...they didn't bury him in the minors, things didn't work out and they gave him an opportunity to move to another organization, that can be seen as positive more than anything else

There are TONS of factor much more important than Jiri Sekac's 3 months in MTL...

You guys can't be serious right now...

I mean, the guy was apparently considering signing in TORONTO...imagine, he considered signing in that cluster****, yet you're trying to tell me that he won't sign here cause Jiri Sekac got scratched a few times???

Nobody is saying that the only reason he isn't he choosing MTL is because of the Sekac situation. We're saying that it might be one of the cons when he's weighing all his options with his agent. Ultimately yes, obviously there are many other factors that come into play as well.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nobody is saying that the only reason he isn't he choosing MTL is because of the Sekac situation. We're saying that it might be one of the cons when he's weighing all his options with his agent. Ultimately yes, obviously there are many other factors that come into play as well.

Odds are he has no freaking clue who Jiri Sekac is

His legend only exists on this board, specifically the Habs one

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006

If his agent is competent he'll know who Jiri Sekac is, considering Panarin is in a very similar situation as Sekac was last year. Both are 22-23, skilled wingers, coming from the same league and are highly coveted by NHL teams.

I just find it naive to assume that there wasn't even a possibility this was being discussed when he was contemplating signing with Montreal.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
What's to stop any GM from trading any UFA they sign to an ELC? Nothing.

Obviously there's no rule stopping a GM from doing it other than a NTC but I do believe that when a GM trades a player within a year from signing him as a UFA, agents will take notice and it will be part of the recommandations they make to their clients when choosing a team, at least thats what a good agent would do.

Sports agent world is a small one, of course its unlikely Panarin considers Sekac's situation but his agent might.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Obviously there's no rule stopping a GM from doing it other than a NTC but I do believe that when a GM trades a player within a year from signing him as a UFA, agents will take notice and it will be part of the recommandations they make to their clients when choosing a team, at least thats what a good agent would do.

Sports agent world is a small one, of course its unlikely Panarin considers Sekac's situation but his agent might.

Yeah his agent might...and I doubt as an agent, this single situation would take precedence over tons of other factors

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Agents also know more about things that go on behind the scenes and I'm sure they are smart enough to factor in that a winning club needs to do what's best for them to win. I really don't see the issue.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Not sure if he was already signed.....but while I do know we don't want to go small....how about giving a chance to Anthony DeLuca?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've been impressed by goalie Jake Smith from North Bay Battalion. He's undersize but he's have a great playoff and has looked good against the gens. The Habs likely will need a goalie for the ECHL next year.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah his agent might...and I doubt as an agent, this single situation would take precedence over tons of other factors

As a person who left Quebec, I would say high taxes have probably more to do with not wanting to play for the Habs.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Was he mistreated? So what if he was made a healthy scratch and ultimately, traded.

This is the NHL, there are no guarantees for anyone

Some of you spinning this 'Sekac situation' into something bigger than it truly is

Jiri Sekac's legend continues to grow

Sekac came out and publicly stated that he never knew what his role was, and his random benchings and lack of top-6/pp opportunities are easy for anyone to dig up.

a player (and more specifically, his agent) coming into the NHL with his choice of team would be quite foolish not to look at those factors.

i personally don't think a coach, or GM, should be managing their roster/season with much regard to how outsiders will perceive them... but that doesn't negate the reality that people on the outside will form opinions based on their decisions and patterns of decision-making.

the Sekac situation very likely made MB's job much more difficult when it comes to signing european UFA's for years to come, and potentially NA ones as well.

got to remember that a UFA from outside the NHL won't be breaking the bank the way an NHL UFA does... they sign shorter "prove it" deals, so the impetus to sign with a strong fit is much stronger than the average NHL UFA (for whom "getting paid", cup chances or a direct connection to the city/players/coach are the strongest pulls)

wether or not one feels that Sekac got a raw deal, hard to deny that the optics don't show well for future UFA from europe.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sekac came out and publicly stated that he never knew what his role was, and his random benchings and lack of top-6/pp opportunities are easy for anyone to dig up.

a player (and more specifically, his agent) coming into the NHL with his choice of team would be quite foolish not to look at those factors.

i personally don't think a coach, or GM, should be managing their roster/season with much regard to how outsiders will perceive them... but that doesn't negate the reality that people on the outside will form opinions based on their decisions and patterns of decision-making.

the Sekac situation very likely made MB's job much more difficult when it comes to signing european UFA's for years to come, and potentially NA ones as well.

got to remember that a UFA from outside the NHL won't be breaking the bank the way an NHL UFA does... they sign shorter "prove it" deals, so the impetus to sign with a strong fit is much stronger than the average NHL UFA (for whom "getting paid", cup chances or a direct connection to the city/players/coach are the strongest pulls)

wether or not one feels that Sekac got a raw deal, hard to deny that the optics don't show well for future UFA from europe.

What about Streit & Diaz experience in Montreal? That doesn't matter?

As it relates to Panarin specifically...being that he's Russian, the fact Montreal has guys like Markov, Gonchar, Emelin in their team, that's not a factor???

This legend of Sekac that you've all created is just that...a legend, not reality

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Why? Because I disagree with you? Because my main and only point was that when he was traded, I didn't think he got a fair shot? Because I think that in the world of professionnal sport, that a player might choose a different place based on recent situation that might not please him?

Yeah, and I'll return the favor back. It's not because you keep using the word "legend" that it makes your point being THE point. Unless that's the only way you think that you can be right, is by trying to put words in our mouths that were never there. NOBODY has treated Sekac like a legend. Nobody. Ever. At worst, we were dissapointing to see him treated. We thought he had better offense that the organization gave him credit for. And for some, they didn't like the trade. So enough with that legend invention of yours. I can get you 100 cases and more of the exact same thing, and yet, you never bash people about how this or that player was a legend. Most of us hated to see Ryan White go. Where's your comment about White, the legend? So yep....I'm ALSO expecting better from you. But hey, in a hockey board, where we comment on everything for every second, I guess we shouldn't have expectations on anyone.

What does Streit has anything to do with Therrien? We obviously are not talking about the "experience in Montréal" but with this present management but mostly coach and what happened this year.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Exactly. The fact that Sekac was traded is unlikely to matter, but the way the coach used him will especially since it's a pattern of Therrien not getting the best out of his skill players.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

And yet, NOBODY has ever stated that THIS SINGLE SITUATION would be the end of UFA for ever and would be the only situation a UFA would be looking at. I did say in my post you replied to that "the Sekac situation COULD be something to analyse for him". That it "could be tougher for while"....How are those words mean precedence over tons of other factors? When I also talked about how the most important thing is money? What else do the Habs have going on for them? As Sekac said....the installations? Fine. What else? Higher taxes? Colder weather? Winning team? Well maybe soon.....surely an upcoming and improving team....still with no history since 1993. When tons of UFA weren't even born when we won the Cup for the last time. I don't think Habs, unless we overpay, have a lot going for them. And I don't think it's by adding one more, as insignificant you think it is, that it could help.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006

As it relates to Panarin specifically...being that he's Russian, the fact Montreal has guys like Markov, Gonchar, Emelin in their team, that's not a factor???

This legend of Sekac that you've all created is just that...a legend, not reality

Streit and Diaz are defencemen and were brought in under a different management and coaching staff.

The Sekac signing is recent, and like I said before they were in very comparable situations(Same age, League, position, player type etc).

Once again, nobody is saying that it's the sole factor for why he chose Chicago over Montreal, but it certainly didn't help.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Exactly. The fact that Sekac was traded is unlikely to matter, but the way the coach used him will especially since it's a pattern of Therrien not getting the best out of his skill players.

Best offensive season for Subban, 37 goals for Pacioretty, 25 goals for Gallagher (personal best), 20 goals for Galchenyuk (personal best), Plekanec, another 20+ goal season, Carey Price, career year,....Ya, really can't get the best out of his SKILLED players. The only players who regressed are an undersized 5'6 center, a concussed PAP, an aging Markov and an aging Gonchar....bonsoir la visite. Get that PP going and these numbers all increase by 10-15%, it'll be better than already good.

Last edited:

HabsDieHard*

Best offensive season for Subban, 37 goals for Pacioretty, 25 goals for Gallagher (personal best), 20 goals for Galchenyuk (personal best), Plekanec, another 20+ goal season, Carey Price, career year,....Ya, really can't get the best out of his SKILLED players. The only players who regressed are an undersized 5'6 center, a concussed PAP, an aging Markov and an aging Gonchar....bonsoir la visite. Get that PP going and these numbers all increase by 10-15%, it'll be better than already good.

Every one of those players you list is either at the age where you'd be expecitng them to be in their prime, or at the age where you'd be expecting them to improve every year.

#BecauseTherrien

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

And Galchenyuks' play stagnated badly this year, anyone who denies that is lying to themselves.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
And yet, NOBODY has ever stated that THIS SINGLE SITUATION would be the end of UFA for ever and would be the only situation a UFA would be looking at. I did say in my post you replied to that "the Sekac situation COULD be something to analyse for him". That it "could be tougher for while"....How are those words mean precedence over tons of other factors? When I also talked about how the most important thing is money? What else do the Habs have going on for them? As Sekac said....the installations? Fine. What else? Higher taxes? Colder weather? Winning team? Well maybe soon.....surely an upcoming and improving team....still with no history since 1993. When tons of UFA weren't even born when we won the Cup for the last time. I don't think Habs, unless we overpay, have a lot going for them. And I don't think it's by adding one more, as insignificant you think it is, that it could help.

It does seem some are going a bit overboard in their reactions but this wouldn't be the Habs HF board if Hab fans didn't overact since they have been doing it for as long as I have been here.

But with the Habs having only 5 draft picks this summer and 6 next year (for now at least), plus the talk that we may see more players heading back to the NHL due to the situation in Russia and the KHL (economic) so this could mean that the Habs will need to sign a few undrafted Euro/NCAA/CHL players. Not so much this off-season since we have a big incoming rookie class (still expect them to ink one or two) but if we don't have a lot of draft picks over the next couple of draft classes then logically we might have to look to the undrafted market. If so then we shall find out what impact if any the Sekac situation had on future FA's.

Streit and Diaz are defencemen and were brought in under a different management and coaching staff.

The Sekac signing is recent, and like I said before they were in very comparable situations(Same age, League, position, player type etc).

Once again, nobody is saying that it's the sole factor for why he chose Chicago over Montreal, but it certainly didn't help.

Well unless we hear otherwise there's no way we can know what impact if any it had on him opting to sign with the Hawks over us. It could have been a big factor or none at all. We can only speculate. I would be shocked if it had any impact at all but may never know.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Well unless we hear otherwise there's no way we can know what impact if any it had on him opting to sign with the Hawks over us. It could have been a big factor or none at all. We can only speculate. I would be shocked if it had any impact at all but may never know.

Agreed, we have no clue.

Just like you and I have different opinions, each player is different and some might care about a particular thing while another guy might not. Each case is different and in all probability he was going to pick Chicago anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad