Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
interesting since we do need a goalie for the ECHL next year.

What's your take on Brandon Whitney (Victoriaville/Gatineau) ?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1877765

I wasn't sure if they were interested in him or just brought him in as a warm body since MacDonald was called up. But since he dressed for the final game it made me think they might have some interest in him. Guess we'll find out when the development camp roster is out.

He's bigger, and therefore fits more the mold of a Pro goaltender in today's NHL than Cadorette. But while Cadorette is trending upwards, Whitney, was dislodged last year by François Tremblay from the #1 spot in Victo, and since then it's only been downwards. He played with Gatineau because the Piques were at point in big trouble as far as their goaltenders went. It's worth the gamble IMO, see how he fares in the Pros.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's bigger, and therefore fits more the mold of a Pro goaltender in today's NHL than Cadorette. But while Cadorette is trending upwards, Whitney, was dislodged last year by François Tremblay from the #1 spot in Victo, and since then it's only been downwards. He played with Gatineau because the Piques were at point in big trouble as far as their goaltenders went. It's worth the gamble IMO, see how he fares in the Pros.

interesting. I guess we'll see who they are interested in as they could always just re-sign Frankie Palazzese to another AHL contract. I haven't followed him this year in the past when he was in the OHL but thought they might look for someone better this off-season. Not that they really need it, since a group of Price, Tok, Condon, Fucale is pretty good but would think they would want a 5th goalie likely on an AHL contract to play in the ECHL. So Whitney, Cadorette, Palazzese, or perhaps they look to the NCAA as they did have CJ Motte in camp last year and he had another good year as well as other FA's that should be available.

So it looks like it's official, Artem Panarin will leave the KHL for the NHL as he turned down his KHL club who offered to double his salary but he wants to play in the NHL and is likely going to get a ton of interest as he had a huge season for St. Petersburg and he's still young. Led his team in scoring, not the biggest but got to think many teams will want to try and sign the free asset.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=117198

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So it looks like it's official, Artem Panarin will leave the KHL for the NHL as he turned down his KHL club who offered to double his salary but he wants to play in the NHL and is likely going to get a ton of interest as he had a huge season for St. Petersburg and he's still young. Led his team in scoring, not the biggest but got to think many teams will want to try and sign the free asset.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=117198

Don't see us winning him considering the Sekac situation and our coach.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Don't see us winning him considering the Sekac situation and our coach.

don't see Sekac situation being any impact on the Habs and UFA's but I guess we'll see. It sounds like he wants top 6 ice time so while the Habs need the help I don't know if management would be ok with giving it to him or not.

That's about it. Why the heck would any guy that would be in demand want to come here with the Sekac situation.....

To me money talks, granted that won't be the case for every UFA, but if the dollars are right and he wants to play for a top team then the Habs make sense. I'm sure agents know that things don't always work out so I would be very surprised if they had any misgivings to have their clients sign with the Habs because of Sekac. Now taxes, media/fan, etc... sure but since we don't really know if there was more to the Sekac story or not (and this isn't the thread to get into that) but I would be surprised if the Habs couldn't sign UFA's because of Sekac just don't buy it at all not even a little.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
don't see Sekac situation being any impact on the Habs and UFA's but I guess we'll see. It sounds like he wants top 6 ice time so while the Habs need the help I don't know if management would be ok with giving it to him or not.

To me money talks, granted that won't be the case for every UFA, but if the dollars are right and he wants to play for a top team then the Habs make sense. I'm sure agents know that things don't always work out so I would be very surprised if they had any misgivings to have their clients sign with the Habs because of Sekac. Now taxes, media/fan, etc... sure but since we don't really know if there was more to the Sekac story or not (and this isn't the thread to get into that) but I would be surprised if the Habs couldn't sign UFA's because of Sekac just don't buy it at all not even a little.

But the day that a guy is in demand....isn't the money about the same everywhere? And if so...I don't see us being on top of a list in a while.

Not so much that.. just that you have the biggest idiot behind the bench.

Well, that's something we know...that they might not know...yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
But the day that a guy is in demand....isn't the money about the same everywhere? And if so...I don't see us being on top of a list in a while.

Since he is still young enough, he can only sign up to the rookie max, so there isn't a ton of wiggle room but doesn't mean the money will be the same as it would likely depend on just how badly a team wants him if they were willing to pay him like a 1st rounder or not. I don't know what his list of teams will look like or what the market will be for him, but I would guess that a lot of teams will kick the tires and that could easily drive up the demand. There was a number of teams in on Sekac and we got him, I have faith in management that they know what they are doing. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. If I were him I would be looking at times like Yotes, Canes, etc...

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Marek Daloga is attractive but another LHD no thanks.

Not a well thought comment on a couple of levels. If he was an upgrade on current talent he would be an attractive asset regardless of how many players are already playing the position. Secondly, the Habs are very thin organizationally when it comes to LH defensemen. It is RH defenseman that are signed in abundance.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
@FriedgeHNIC

Hearing free-agent F Artem Panarin, who led KHL champion St. Petersburg in scoring, is getting close to joining the Chicago Blackhawks.

Do believe CAL (as @reporterchris mentioned), MON & TOR were among those interested. Panarin liked the fit in CHI best.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's about it. Why the heck would any guy that would be in demand want to come here with the Sekac situation.....

Where do you guys come up with this stuff????

Sekac situation? What situation?

Did I miss a report where he was lured away from Europe with big promises only to be shoved in a dungeon and only allowed out on gamedays???

I don't get it???

Analyzer*

Where do you guys come up with this stuff????

Sekac situation? What situation?

He was made a healthy scratch and then ultimately traded without even finishing one year here.

However, it's not like they traded him for scraps. They had to pay a price to get a good, young player.

At same time, it seems like "Well, if they're going to trade me, I might as well sign somewhere else"

It's why trading free agents after signing them is seen as taboo.

It's also odd to see a team trade a player they just drafted as was the case with Pateryn in the Grabovski trade and likely many others.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He was made a healthy scratch and then ultimately traded without even finishing one year here.

However, it's not like they traded him for scraps. They had to pay a price to get a good, young player.

At same time, it seems like "Well, if they're going to trade me, I might as well sign somewhere else"

It's why trading free agents after signing them is seen as taboo.

It's also odd to see a team trade a player they just drafted as was the case with Pateryn in the Grabovski trade and likely many others.

Was he mistreated? So what if he was made a healthy scratch and ultimately, traded.

This is the NHL, there are no guarantees for anyone

Some of you spinning this 'Sekac situation' into something bigger than it truly is

Jiri Sekac's legend continues to grow

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why would you go to Chicago, though? That's a tough roster to crack for offense. I suppose, it's intoxicating thinking about playing with Kane..

I know if I was Panarin and I watched one Habs game, I'd say, nope, no way, this system is horrendous and I'd die from boredom.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Why would you go to Chicago, though? That's a tough roster to crack for offense. I suppose, it's intoxicating thinking about playing with Kane..

I know if I was Panarin and I watched one Habs game, I'd say, nope, no way, this system is horrendous and I'd die from boredom.

TB would be a good place for him to go actually.

He could play with an offensive powerhouse.

Them or the Ducks.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland

It won't be next year, they have to dump several guys

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006

Isn't there a chance that Chicago moves each of Sharp, Bickell and Vesteeg in the off season? That will open up a few spots on the wings.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Doubt it.

Listen anyone can see that we traded Sekac for a need. It is lame that we traded him right away but it netted us a need.

It's said we were among the final teams he was considering. Something like that is enough to push him away.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So now that Sekac is a healthy scratch not long after being traded

Does that mean players will refuse to be traded to the Anaheim Ducks going forward?

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Was he mistreated? So what if he was made a healthy scratch and ultimately, traded.

This is the NHL, there are no guarantees for anyone

Some of you spinning this 'Sekac situation' into something bigger than it truly is

Jiri Sekac's legend continues to grow

No one's inventing anything, Sekac had a lot of options, chose Montreal only to be traded after a couple months to a place he didn't choose, sure Anaheim is a nice place but it could've been Edmonton too.

Why would Panarin or whatever UFA choose Montreal knowing MB can just move him wherever he wants if hes not finding his groove right away, might as well choose a team that shows loyalty to their players.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Does that mean players will refuse to be traded to the Anaheim Ducks going forward?

There are no promises made to traded players. Signing and trading guys within a few months of each other is seen as a black mark in hockey.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006

Not the same situation at all.

Sekac agreed to sign here over 12 or so teams, just to be constantly scratched and then traded within months.

Do you really think that looks good on this organization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad