Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What's the story on Yale's goalie? He looked really solid with good rebound control from what I watched.

he had a great year, never heard if he's willing to leave school early has he's a Sophomore but he's older after spending several years in the USHL so perhaps he'll want to turn pro after all. Got to think a few teams are in on him. As far as goalies go, I've heard that BU's Matt O'Connor had around 15 teams in on him and it's down to 4 now, rangers and sens are said to be 2 of the 4 teams if true.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/west-coast-bias-oilers-play-oconnor/
Edmonton would make a lot of sense if he wants to battle for a spot right off the bat. Goalie wise they have to be one of the easiest roster to crack.

the sabers do make the most sense since they might end up with his teammate if they end up picking 2nd overall. But the oilers also make a lot of sense, was surprised to see NYR and Sens as 2 of the teams among the finalists though.

After today, 6 more teams will have their season end so the FA race should heat up.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
watched some of the BU-Yale game and Oksanen looked good again, scored a huge goal and had a couple shots as well. Not sure he if will turn pro or go back for his Senior year but I would hope the Habs are in on him if he does opt to sign now.

we'll find out if he signs or not as Minnesota just got bounced from the Frozen Fours so their season is over. Sounds like he will use the loophole and become a FA but he has till June 1st to notify his team he plans on doing that.

Not scared about Oksanen's speed and agility?

Analyzer*

Ahti Oksanen ? Looks like good size and huge boom in his goal scoring.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Should look at Hyman if he gets to FA. Maybe Patches can have some wolverine pull?

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
watched Denver today, wasn't the greatest game for Didier but I thought he got better as it went on. He wasn't as physical as he usually is but still played solid in his own end although after making a good play along the boards in his own end he fell down and turned the puck over, that could have been ugly.

Denver plays tomorrow against Providence (the team Hayden Hawkey will play for next year), if they win they advance to the Final Fours. If not their season is over which means Didier's NCAA career will be over. I think he gets signed by the Habs, but I also wonder if management will look at some of his teammates that are undrafted FA's. Trevor Moore, Daniel Doremus, are the two I would look at. Nolan Zajac had a good year as well.

I know MacMillan is not playing but North Dakota is looking good, if they hold on they will advance to the Final Fours.

Watched a bit of Colin Sullivan, was surprised to see him in the lineup since he only appeared in 1 playoff game but thought he looked ok even though they were using him at forward. Not sure if he will take a medical redshirt or not, as far as I know he's eligible. He's got size and skating, a extra year in the NCAA wouldn't be bad as he's at a top program. Either way he'll be back there next year but if he were to red shirt he would get 2 more years.

I liked Doremus' game, first time I seen him play and he seems like a good two- way guy who isn't afraid to be physical. I would be interested to see him in Hamilton...or St.Johns if they were to sign him.

Trevor Moore is pretty interesting still a younger guy but plays with some tenacity and looks pretty nifty out there.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I liked Doremus' game, first time I seen him play and he seems like a good two- way guy who isn't afraid to be physical. I would be interested to see him in Hamilton...or St.Johns if they were to sign him.

Trevor Moore is pretty interesting still a younger guy but plays with some tenacity and looks pretty nifty out there.

Doremus does bring the physical game, Moore had a big year, their line has been one of the best in the NCAA this year.

Ahti Oksanen ? Looks like good size and huge boom in his goal scoring.

he does have a good frame, was a defensemen last year but they moved him up to wing this year and he did well in the few games I saw. They are headed for the Final Fours which are about 11 days away so we'll have to wait to see if he's going to turn pro or not.

Should look at Hyman if he gets to FA. Maybe Patches can have some wolverine pull?

would be surprised if the panthers don't sign him since he's one of the 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker award.

It's not like the Mike Reilly situation where he can use the NCAA loop hole to become a FA this upcoming July.

boston signs Austin Czarnik, teammate of Colin Sullivan's

Hawks sign Tanner Kero from Michigan Tech, I believe he's a top 10 finalist for the Hobey Baker award.

With the NCAA season over, will be interesting to see what happens, interested to see if Oksanen turns pro and with who.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Man, I can't even laugh at the kid, that must be like that ''naked in school'' nightmare except, you know, it's happening for real in front of a huge crowd:help:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
rumors of Marek Daloga, an undrafted Euro FA defensemen might be NHL bound. He was a teammate of Reway's this year and had a decent year. On the trade board it's said that he turned down a contract from dallas last year.

So, they say he's Leafs bound :naughty:

visiting the Sens and Oilers, guess the Sens are looking to repeat the success from their last undrafted NCAA goalie.

http://www.tsn.ca/bu-goalie-o-connor...clubs-1.257608

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If you look carefully, we have an abundance of RHD in the system, not a lot of LHD...

Bennett is the only LD we have in the system. Nygren, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower, Lernout, Didier, Sullivan, Koberstein, all RD's. So we sorely need some LD's.

oksanen is really interesting, 25 goals? thats not bad at all

Especially when you consider this was his first season at forward, before that he was a defensemen. Good size, works hard, solid in his own end. I don't know if he wants to turn pro or head back for his Senior year though, will be interesting to see what he does.

Jackets just signed undrafted Euro FA Markus Hannikainen, a former teammate of Lehkonen's at the WJC's for 2 years. Had a big year in the Finnish Elite league.

Sabres sign BU's Evan Rodrigues, since they are likely drafting his teammate as well, wonder if they also sign BU's goalie Matt O'Connor.

Still no word on Ahti Oksanen and if he will turn pro or not.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Sabres sign BU's Evan Rodrigues, since they are likely drafting his teammate as well, wonder if they also sign BU's goalie Matt O'Connor.

Still no word on Ahti Oksanen and if he will turn pro or not.
No, Buffalo's out on O'Connor. That's down to these four teams:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
has there been any talk about what Ahti Oksanen will do?
I haven't seen any recent rumors one way or the other on Oksanen, just that Michigan's Hyman and Minnesota's Reilly are expected to use their UFA outs this summer, but you guys already hit on that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Any interest in inviting any of Fucale's undrafted FA teammates, Nikolas Brouillard Jerome Verrier, or Matt Murphy? Habs will need some ECHL depth next year.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Philippe Cadorette, Baie-Comeau's goaltender and teammate of our Jérémy Grégoire has been invited to finish the year with the Wheeling Nailers. No news if it was the Habs or the Pens that made the push.

He's a rather underrated goaltender, he's been arguably as good as Fucale, Desrosiers (Rimouski) and Bélanger (Rouyn/Cape-Breton) who have all been drafted. Only 5'11'', but he's a battler. Good underdog story.

Anthony Marcotte ‏@anthonymarcotte 8 hil y a 8 heures

Philippe Cadorette invité par les Nailers de Wheeling dans la ECHL. Bien mérité. Via @fm97drakkar #LHJMQ

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Philippe Cadorette, Baie-Comeau's goaltender and teammate of our Jérémy Grégoire has been invited to finish the year with the Wheeling Nailers. No news if it was the Habs or the Pens that made the push.

He's a rather underrated goaltender, he's been arguably as good as Fucale, Desrosiers (Rimouski) and Bélanger (Rouyn/Cape-Breton) who have all been drafted. Only 5'11'', but he's a battler. Good underdog story.

Anthony Marcotte ‏@anthonymarcotte 8 hil y a 8 heures

Philippe Cadorette invité par les Nailers de Wheeling dans la ECHL. Bien mérité. Via @fm97drakkar #LHJMQ

interesting since we do need a goalie for the ECHL next year.

What's your take on Brandon Whitney (Victoriaville/Gatineau) ?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1877765

I wasn't sure if they were interested in him or just brought him in as a warm body since MacDonald was called up. But since he dressed for the final game it made me think they might have some interest in him. Guess we'll find out when the development camp roster is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad