Post-Game Talk: Undefeated when Ryan Reaves plays!

3 celestial bodies

• Kevin “the hands” Rooney

• Big Reavo

• Alexander the Awful

• Julius Gauthier

• Alexey Laferanov

• 420 Blais it

• Fat Kakko

• Tyler Waldo

• Niles Lundsmith

• Patrick Meth

• Labor Hirek

• Greg Eggs

• Dylan Stone

• Dryden Hunts

• Michael Robertson

• William Cuylee

• Miguel Barron

• Schneider Bacon

• Lance Pastanemi

• Marcus Naslund

Results are only viewable after voting.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
In terms of team makeup and roles, I’d really like to see:

Laf-Zib-Kaako
Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov
Kreider-Chytil-Goodrow
Blais-Rooney-Reaves
Hunt
Gauthier

if there is a spot in the top-6 open on the right side, Gauthier subs in. Or if Chytil goes down, roll Goodrow over and sub in Gauthier. Any need for Blais, Reaves or Kreider would being Hunt in for me.

It’s a bit unfortunate as I really think Hunt would be a really nice addition to the lineup on a nightly basis

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I don’t think Kravstov is anywhere near the player Eichel is. And he isn’t a center, never was. Bad comparison.

And I disagree he has or had more potential than Laf and Kakko
I think with his height, vision, and hands, he has similar potential to them at the very least. I don’t know if Lafreniere or Kakko will ever become true superstars. They might, but that’s optimistic too. And I know he’s not a center, but neither was Hayes or Aho.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Just watched the game, had it recorded

-LaF/Kakko were invisible aside from Kakko’s SH chance and LaF’s goal

-Lundkvist was great, he was shaky at first but I like how much he shoots

-Georgiev is trash, Wall looked very good

-Robertson is not ready, could be a good bottom pairing/4D in 2 years though

-Gauthier had the most Gauthier like game I’ve seen. Bull with no horns

-Schneider was great as usual, he’s going to be very valuable

-Lindgren looked significantly better than his first pre-season game

-Blais was very good, Reaves doesn’t get enough credit for how solid he is. Not just physically, he’s NHL quality without the physicality as he has good hockey IQ and makes the right plays. Faster than I thought as well he burned a Bruins dman in a chase for the puck. Don’t forget he’s like 35 right now too, he’s gotten a lot of shit over the years for just being a plug but there’s a reason why he’s still in the NHL and that isn’t only just for punching faces. He knows how to get the puck in the offensive zone and keep it there, I’m excited for that 4th line, could be up there with some of the best in the league

Reaves is low key good defensively. Not Kakko good, but he takes away space, has a pretty good stick (broke up multiple cross ice passes yesterday) and is usually in the right spot. Also a load along the walls which will stand to benefit us long term.

"The hands" Rooney led our team in retrievals/60 last year. Some of that is because he isn't a guy who carries the puck in beyond the blue lines but when he dumps it in, he's pretty good at getting to it first. If we're looking to chip and chase and lean and grind - Those 2+Blais should be pretty effective. May not manifest it self in a whole lot of production, but if you can wear down some of the other teams D and not suck defensively, thats a win.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If he works hard, I can see him getting somewhat close. His vision is just amazing to watch. And his skating reminds me of Eichel. Just because he has the potential doesn’t mean he’ll reach it.

We're all entitled to our opinion, but I haven't noticed anything about him that reminds me of Eichel, even concerning potential.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Reaves is low key good defensively. Not Kakko good, but he takes away space, has a pretty good stick (broke up multiple cross ice passes yesterday) and is usually in the right spot. Also a load along the walls which will stand to benefit us long term.

"The hands" Rooney led our team in retrievals/60 last year. Some of that is because he isn't a guy who carries the puck in beyond the blue lines but when he dumps it in, he's pretty good at getting to it first. If we're looking to chip and chase and lean and grind - Those 2+Blais should be pretty effective. May not manifest it self in a whole lot of production, but if you can wear down some of the other teams D and not suck defensively, thats a win.

Right. At the end of the day its your fourth line. What you need is for them to be able to tie shifts. If they can win some its huge. A fourth line that can be depended on to go out and play a stable, predictable, even shift is a weapon in terms of sustaining momentum as well as halting or slowing momentum against you.

Theyre not playing 16mins theyre playing 9-12. Theyre not really special team players, except "the hands"

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It’s because he caught an edge defending Marchand and then he went in and scored. Yeah, skating is one of his strengths and I thought he showed plenty of it outside of that mistake

Two things struck me seeing that goal.

I often remark on players skating that other doesn’t, I don’t know how many times I’ve heard like ‘what are you talking about, X may be big but he is as good a skater as anyone not just for someone his size’ etc.

Marchand is one of the best skaters in the league, period. He does this to so many Ds, super low center of gravity. He doesn’t have to shift his body over to the side to turn like a downhill skier, he just seamlessly does it at high speed. If say a Kreider is coming at a D in that situation he can have a boat load of speed, but to turn to go left after moving in towards the center, he is advertising it long before actually changing direction and it takes much longer for him to change his balance over.

Secondly, it looks worse than it is because Robertson also sells himself completely to get a swing at the puck — which he lands. But Marchand does what Marchand does and keeps possession of it. Robertson could just as well made a really spectacular defensive play there.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Right. At the end of the day its your fourth line. What you need is for them to be able to tie shifts. If they can win some its huge. A fourth line that can be depended on to go out and play a stable, predictable, even shift is a weapon in terms of sustaining momentum as well as halting or slowing momentum against you.

Theyre not playing 16mins theyre playing 9-12. Theyre not really special team players, except "the hands"
With the roster we have they're not even playing 9-12. They're playing closer to 7 if there are 0 penalties all game.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
My best comparison for him is Kovalev light, that's his potential, whether he gets there or not who knows

I had a friend who played minor league hockey. He worked out with Kovalev for a while.

He said Kovalev had the most unique and effective way of using his edges.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Haven't been viewing the forum much. Was the latest preseason game against the Bruins available on ESPN+? I just paid for a subscription the other day and I can't seem to find it.

Reactions: egelband

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
He has a lower body injury and didn't make the road trip. The team is staying in the New England area for a few days.

I'm very curious as to why he's not part of the bonding trip; I get the injury part, but NE is a couple hrs from Westchester. NYR could uber him to location. He's either part of the team or something big is happening, otherwise this makes no sense to me.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Haven't been viewing the forum much. Was the latest preseason game against the Bruins available on ESPN+? I just paid for a subscription the other day and I can't seem to find it.
Me too. I think it has to do with the NHL app being tied to your Apple ID login region.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
We're all entitled to our opinion, but I haven't noticed anything about him that reminds me of Eichel, even concerning potential.
That’s fine. I think he skates kind of like Eichel. Same height (actually Kravtsov is slightly taller). Seriously elite vision. Kravtsov’s hands are right up there too.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'm very curious as to why he's not part of the bonding trip; I get the injury part, but NE is a couple hrs from Westchester. NYR could uber him to location. He's either part of the team or something big is happening, otherwise this makes no sense to me.
Maybe he needs to do rehab and stay off his feet? The team is probably being pretty active on their bonding trip, and he'd be sitting watching, not great for the overall vibe. Try not to read too much into it.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad