UNB Reds Thread (Part5)

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
What are the odds Peter Reynold ends up at UNB next year? He’s having a pretty decent season, but has surprisingly seen his numbers decline quite a bit since getting traded from SJ to Halifax.
Considering the amount of chatter I’d heard about him last year possibly leaving a year early for UNB, I’d have to imagine it’s a possibility . Can’t imagine these rumours came out of thin air.

I’d have to imagine playing a smaller role on a much better Halifax team.

I will say this much about him, he is the best minor hockey player I’ve ever seen, I was convinced he was going to play in the show some day (and I’m usually very sceptical about hyping kids up)… I’d seen him a few times and was telling anyone who would listen that he was going to be a name to watch.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I’ll be disappointed if all those players left but we really have been spoiled lately. We will probably have both goaltenders back. McCallum and McCormick on the blue line.
Plus, there should have high quality recruits coming in.

The narrative going into next season will be fun. How long can the streak last?

The fun will last as long as Gards is there. When he leaves, his replacement Will NOT have the energy or passion he has to do what has been done the past 10-12 years. The amount of time he puts in doing hockey schools and other fundraising stuff is awesome. It won't be instant, but over a few years the team will not be as good.

This is not a knock on anyone. It's just my opinion having known Gards for20 years or so as an adversary and a fellow member of AUS all star teams. He and I walked to the rink and back almost every day in Turino, watched other games and did video together. I got to know his hockey philosophy and over the years learned more each time we met. At our morning team meetings, after I did the video stuff, Gards always had some little quizzes or games for the guys, which I thought at the time were "silly", but soon learned that part of team-building. He deserves all the accolades and I honestly feel he should be a candidate for the Hall some day if he continues on this current path.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I think so.

What about Kyte?
I think he’s back too but I’m not sure. I hope so, when he was at X I thought he was the most underrated defenceman in the conference, I think he has more than he showed.
I found Ross MacDougall took a year to fully adjust to UNB’s systems and then his second year he was arguably UNB’s best D-man. I see some MacDougall in Kyte

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I would be perfectly content if they went in to next season with a D of:

McCallum
McCormick
Savoie
Kammerer
McGinley
Nolet
Kyte

That’s the best group in the conference and, probably, the country since you are essentially just replacing Landry with McCormick from the D that just dominated the UCup.

If they’re losing 2/3 of their top line + Willms it stands to reason that adding top-6 forwards will be the primary objective this summer.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
There was a clip of Jason Wilms talking on a podcast about wanting UNB to play the NCAA champion.

Of course, any matchup would have to be in an exhibition game next season. Boston College or Boston University would be preferable. I have read that the NCAA season starts later now so that could be an issue.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
There was a clip of Jason Wilms talking on a podcast about wanting UNB to play the NCAA champion.

Of course, any matchup would have to be in an exhibition game next season. Boston College or Boston University would be preferable. I have read that the NCAA season starts later now so that could be an issue.
A clip of him or the clip he posted of Spittin Chicklets ? Got a link?

Carleton

Dec 17, 2022
I would be perfectly content if they went in to next season with a D of:

McCallum
McCormick
Savoie
Kammerer
McGinley
Nolet
Kyte

That’s the best group in the conference and, probably, the country since you are essentially just replacing Landry with McCormick from the D that just dominated the UCup.

If they’re losing 2/3 of their top line + Willms it stands to reason that adding top-6 forwards will be the primary objective this summer.
Someone has said Kyte and King may return? They were each doing their masters. I don’t expect McCormick back on defence.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
For potential exhibition games next season, I fully expect Ottawa to make a trip here. The Reds played the Gee Gees last September and they are hosting this year. They will probably want to okay UNB at least once.

As for going back to down to the US, I hope they manage to find time to at least play Maine. Apparently the NCAA schedule is a week later now which makes things difficult

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
For potential exhibition games next season, I fully expect Ottawa to make a trip here. The Reds played the Gee Gees last September and they are hosting this year. They will probably want to okay UNB at least once.

As for going back to down to the US, I hope they manage to find time to at least play Maine. Apparently the NCAA schedule is a week later now which makes things difficult
It likely won’t ever happen but I’d love to see UNB or if we are trying to make sense here UQTR play the ECHL team in TR. I love weird games like that , Polish National team, “Islanders Rookies” , “SJ Flames rookies” , Russian Red Stars. It’s officially the off-season based off this nothing burger of a post by me… before long I’ll be talking about the LBR

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I know it’s wishful thinking but it would be cool to get a CW team like Mount Royal or UBC to come out for a couple games.

I wonder if they have ever asked Alberta to come? UNB went out there to play the Bears and Dinos in 2010…Calgary returned the favour the next year by coming here for a pair of games.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I know it’s wishful thinking but it would be cool to get a CW team like Mount Royal or UBC to come out for a couple games.

I wonder if they have ever asked Alberta to come? UNB went out there to play the Bears and Dinos in 2010…Calgary returned the favour the next year by coming here for a pair of games.
Wasn’t that the trip Shutron broke his leg on?

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Since we are talking exhibition games , I wish they would bring back the Pete Kelly cup in its original form. Was nice to be able to watch some non UNB matchups without having to travel.
I’m sure the limit on exhibition games squashes that fantasy for a multi game tournament but it was kinda neat to spend a random winter afternoon watching Udem play SMU or something 5 mins from home.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Since we are talking exhibition games , I wish they would bring back the Pete Kelly cup in its original form. Was nice to be able to watch some non UNB matchups without having to travel.
I’m sure the limit on exhibition games squashes that fantasy for a multi game tournament but it was kinda neat to spend a random winter afternoon watching Udem play SMU or something 5 mins from home.
The six-game exhibition game limit in the AUS really puts a damper on building the Pete Kelly Cup back up, but it could be done if the teams cooperated on schedules. Bring in say UdeM, UQTR, and Ottawa or McGill. It is expensive though covering all the hosting costs, which is why I believe it was downsized.

It is really, really expensive bringing in the NCAA Div I teams. They want similar dollars to their net gate for a home game, plus all the travel costs. And they can only leave the States once every 4 years, and sometimes guard that one slot so carefully they never use it. Meanwhile teams like BC are flying to Ireland now.

But I think the biggest factor is the NCAA schedule change, which I believe means that the US roadtrip is no longer a preseason roadtrip. And the Ivy League schools want to play in January.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Any update on doing a 2020’s all decade team?
I think it’s been pushed to next season. From what I’ve heard there was just too much going on this season (Teddy Bear game/Elementary school nights/Joe Glenn game/Military Appreciation/Mark Jeffrey/etc) to give it the proper amount of time and attention needed to do it right.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think it’s been pushed to next season. From what I’ve heard there was just too much going on this season (Teddy Bear game/Elementary school nights/Joe Glenn game/Military Appreciation/Mark Jeffrey/etc) to give it the proper amount of time and attention needed to do it right.
That would be the correct answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad