UNB Reds Thread (Part5)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Expecting game 2 to be a toss up…maybe the toughest game of the season so far with a full house of hostile fans in that small rink. Going to make for an intimidating atmosphere. I think scoring first will especially be key. Moncton scores first and feeds off the momentum of the crowd it could be tough to come back (see game 3 against them last year)

Reactions: timbitca

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
Looks like there are still some individual seats left scattered around the rink.
I have heard they keep 100 seats back for UdeM students at the box office. Could call at the box office and confirm this. If they don't sell them to the students they will be sold to public pre-game. Worth a shot!

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
No clue, I will say I thought Nolet was UNB’s d-man tonight.
High ankle sprain is what I have heard. Saw him walking without crutches at the AUC for Game 1 of the final but in obvious discomfort. Guessing that it would be a small miracle for him to heal to play. Last year they did have Landry dressed and on the bench in the final in Charlottetown, took a shift and did not play rest of game. You never know, worst case maybe something like this. Big loss, but how lucky are we to have the depth we have to step in when needed.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Would like to congratulate the Reds women's team on winning the AUS pennant on home ice on Tuesday night. A crowd of over 2,400 saw the Reds win in double OT on a goal by Sydney Oitomen.
The game was an absolute gem, congrats to St FX on the battle, best wishes at women's nationals

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I think last night showed that you'd like to have him, but you don't 'need' him.

Great game by the whole core. Only two scoring chances i) clean shot in the second from the high slot (wide) and ii) that scramble play where the puck was in the crease for 2-3 seconds and Richard was on his back.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It would be about three weeks from the time McCormick suffered the injury to the start of the UCup…he would have to be a quick healer.
They could do what the did with Hunter Tremblay back in the day - freeze his ankle. But I think they're fine without him; Nolet has got to be the best super-sub defenceman in the conference, and Nico Savoie looks more comfortable every game. UNB is fortunate to have the depth they have on D.

Reactions: Craig D

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB/Brock being in with TMU/Calgary would be the best possible outcome IMO. Much prefer TMU over U.Q.T.R. + being on TMU’s side of the bracket means you are playing Thursday and the possibility of getting the extra day of rest. The caveat being the Thursday afternoon games can sometimes produce upsets/closer games than predicted.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I expect to see the same lineup they have been running…with Kyte/Blagden the extras. Would love to have Sproule/McCormick, but not counting on it.

If Richard is anything less than 100% I have no problem going with Outhouse all weekend.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Based on last week's ELO, the odds on winning are
UNB - ELO=1978 - Percentage = 53.7 -> 1:2
UQT - ELO=1819 - Percentage = 17.5 -> 1:5
UBC - ELO=1775 - Percentage = 9.64 -> 1:10
TMU - ELO=1728 - Percentage = 5.18 -> 1:20
CAL - ELO=1734 - Percentage = 5.83 -> 1:20
McG - ELO=1735 - Percentage = 5.65 -> 1:20
UdM - ELO=1610 - Percentage = 1.21 -> 1:80
BRK - ELO=1626 - Percentage = 1.27 -> 1:80

UNB statistically wins over Brock 7 out of 8 times (87%)
UNB statistically wins over TMU/CAL 5 out of 7 times (71%)
- TMU/CAL appearance split is 45/55 bias for CAL.
UNB Statistically wins over the Bottom Half 1 out of 2 times (53%)
- UQTR/UBC/McG/UdeM appearance split is 43%, 28%, 21% & 8%

The most common tournament outcomes/paths (account for 25% of all outcomes) are
UNB-CAL-UQTR-UBC / UNB-UQTR / UNB - 6.7%
UNB-TMU-UQTR-UBC / UNB-UQTR / UNB - 6.1%
UNB-CAL-UQTR-McG / UNB-UQTR / UNB - 5.3%
UNB-TMU-UQTR-McG / UNB-UQTR / UNB - 5.2%

So - UNB vs UQTR is the strong favorite for the Finals.

All of that said, I think we're ripe for an upset - having the top 2 teams from each conference means there really are no 'slouches' this season (even if UdeM's ELO is low - that's more of a factor that UNB is 30-0 - Moncton had 11 loses, 5 of which were UNB, so they only lost 6 other games to the rest of the league).

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
What were the odds 2 years ago against Ryerson? I sold a kidney so I could put money on UNB.

There's a reason they don't hand out the trophy in Oct.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box

All of that said, I think we're ripe for an upset - having the top 2 teams from each conference means there really are no 'slouches' this season (even if UdeM's ELO is low - that's more of a factor that UNB is 30-0 - Moncton had 11 loses, 5 of which were UNB, so they only lost 6 other games to the rest of the league).
We were 1-7-2 against UNB and UPEI this year and 15-4-1 against the other 5 teams. 2 of those other 4 regulation losses were against DAL too. Go figure.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

Could you be the first one to jinx the RED Army?

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
I expect to see the same lineup they have been running…with Kyte/Blagden the extras. Would love to have Sproule/McCormick, but not counting on it.

If Richard is anything less than 100% I have no problem going with Outhouse all weekend.
Sam Richard is healthy for the tournament this week. His issues in the playoff run were minor (muscle cramping). He got the night off in Game 2 in Moncton just because of the season that Sam and Griffen had. I am sure if there had been a Game 3 Sam would have drawn that start in the AUS finals.

I think Sproule suits up in Toronto; McCormick with the high ankle sprain is I would expect hoping for a miracle.

Reactions: Sergy

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
What were the odds 2 years ago against Ryerson? I sold a kidney so I could put money on UNB.

There's a reason they don't hand out the trophy in Oct.
Every player on this team would have told you right up until clinching the berth in the AUS final that there were no guarantees. This is an incredibly focused group who is only worried about the next game and the mission will not be fulfilled until they win their last game of the year. This is a special group, writing history as they go.

We were at Game 2 in Moncton and the final 2 periods were a masterclass in the REDS signature forecheck. It must have seemed to UdeM in those periods like there were 7-8 Reds on the ice at one time.

If the Reds are on their game this week they will be very tough to play against for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad