Rumor: Ullmark plans to test free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
This should be obvious, you would be a fool not to test free agency in his position.

Exactly, he plays for the worst team (sorry Buffalo) in the league. Why wouldn’t he look elsewhere?

Because, with goaltenders, if you overplay your hand you could be left without a seat - or at least with a lot less leverage. If Buffalo is offering 4-5 years, he may be wise taking it given his injury history, which will (reasonably) scare some other teams that may otherwise like him. I am fairly confident that Buffalo will offer him more term and money than any other suitor.

As for "why Buffalo," because, for the 7th time in this thread, the team is pretty good when he plays and the organization is going to also solidify his backup this summer. (And, for the injury reasons mentioned above, a solid 1B option who wants an expanded role may be interested in Buffalo.)

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Because, with goaltenders, if you overplay your hand you could be left without a seat - or at least with a lot less leverage. If Buffalo is offering 4-5 years, he may be wise taking it given his injury history, which will (reasonably) scare some other teams that may otherwise like him. I am fairly confident that Buffalo will offer him more term and money than any other suitor.

As for "why Buffalo," because, for the 7th time in this thread, the team is pretty good when he plays and the organization is going to also solidify his backup this summer. (And, for the injury reasons mentioned above, a solid 1B option who wants an expanded role may be interested in Buffalo.)

Fair points, and he would have a high likelihood of re-signing if it weren’t for other teams in need of a new goalie. Toronto, Carolina, and Edmonton are three teams that come to mind. They all could use a mid 20’s starting potential goalie for the future. If I were to guess, I think Edmonton might make a great pitch for him.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Fair points, and he would have a high likelihood of re-signing if it weren’t for other teams in need of a new goalie. Toronto, Carolina, and Edmonton are three teams that come to mind. They all could use a mid 20’s starting potential goalie for the future. If I were to guess, I think Edmonton might make a great pitch for him.

My thoughts exactly.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Should Seattle try to sign him?
Why wouldn't they? He's had some injury issues, but has looked good on an awful team for the most part. I'd be fine with Edmonton giving him a chance, but its hard to know how much a goalie is worth when he hasn't won anything or been in a situation where winning more games than losing was an expectation.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
This should be obvious, you would be a fool not to test free agency in his position.

Really? Maybe a few weeks ago. Now he's coming off a second injury sidelining him potentially for the rest of the year. With his injury history, how long do people think the line is in a flat cap world for a long-term deal for Ullmark. Linus had ALL THE CARDS, prior to the trade deadline and now maybe not so much. Shorter-term deals with Rask, Rinne, Reimer, a reclamation project Frederik Andersen. Sabres put a five-year $25 M (the rumour) deal in front of him, he might have a lot to lose going on the market.

Reactions: WidgitRibbit

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
This Ullmark situation reminds me of the Ducks with John Gibson. Both have injury issues, both are amazing goaltenders, and young. I wouldn’t be surprised if Buffalo can somehow give him a lengthy contract one that is similar to what Anaheim offered Gibson and see what he says.

Reactions: Cawlidge Hawkey

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
This Ullmark situation reminds me of the Ducks with John Gibson. Both have injury issues, both are amazing goaltenders, and young. I wouldn’t be surprised if Buffalo can somehow give him a lengthy contract one that is similar to what Anaheim offered Gibson and see what he says.

When did they sign him? In UFA eligible year before July 1. I like Gibson a lot more but Ullmark is so lights out on shootout he could be key to making playoffs again. Those maybe 5 to 6 extra points over a season are huge.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Ullmark is a good goalie, amazing is hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad