Rumor: Ullmark plans to test free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Why would a source make this public? It takes away the Sabre's leverage, and it makes no sense that his agent wouldn't even listen to offers from a new team.
Maybe he wants to be traded tomorrow to get playoff experience and exposure before his free agency opens in the summer, so his representation released it to the media?

Going public makes it clear to all the teams that he's not returning to the Sabres, which might lead some GMs to send decent offers Buffalo's way, offers they might otherwise keep in reserve if they didn't know his intentions.

As for what it does to his trade value, he probably doesn't care if the Sabres get a lot for him. He just wants everyone to know the Sabres will get something or nothing.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Maybe he wants to be traded tomorrow to get playoff experience and exposure before his free agency opens in the summer, so his representation released it to the media?

Going public makes it clear to all the teams that he's not returning to the Sabres, which might lead some GMs to send decent offers Buffalo's way, offers they might otherwise keep in reserve if they didn't know his intentions.

As for what it does to his trade value, he probably doesn't care if the Sabres get a lot for him. He just wants everyone to know the Sabres will get something or nothing.
The other side is he just made the offers the Sabres will receive less, because they have no leverage with balking, and threatening to keep/re-sign him. The Sabres are trying to play spoiler, and keep winning with their kids. The Sabres have been very competitive for their last 9. You explain to me why Linus wants everyone to know why the Sabres get something or nothing for him? Why would he do that to the Sabres(and himself)? Why would he make a new team think he won't sign with them? This makes no sense for Linus or the Sabres that I can see.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He might be gambling that something is better than nothing. Of course, if the Sabres have set their own internal bar (i.e. a third rounder, or a second rounder) below which they will simply keep him, then it could backfire on him.

Yet there's no question that for his value in free agency, it is better for him to be playing in the playoffs than not.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
He might be gambling that something is better than nothing. Of course, if the Sabres have set their own internal bar (i.e. a third rounder, or a second rounder) below which they will simply keep him, then it could backfire on him.

Yet there's no question that for his value in free agency, it is better for him to be playing in the playoffs than not.
Exactly, so now you see why I think the source/tweet was either not well thought out, or misinterpreted.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010

That's more believable. 2-3 year deal at starter cash. Maybe what $4-5M. Linus knows he's likely a stop gap unless he's light's out. If he wants to try the swamp UFA market in the swamp covid market as a possible starter next year good luck. GM's are more scared of their new goalie than the one they just let go.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Of the teams that need starting goaltending, in an era of a flat cap, the Sabres can probably afford to pay him more than just about any other team.

Sure the Sabres have a miserable track record but is it worth taking $5 million less to go across the border just to get bounced in the first round every season?

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
That's more believable. 2-3 year deal at starter cash. Maybe what $4-5M. Linus knows he's likely a stop gap unless he's light's out. If he wants to try the swamp UFA market in the swamp covid market as a possible starter next year good luck. GM's are more scared of their new goalie than the one they just let go.

That tweet is outdated. He is testing UFA for better or worse.

Reactions: sabresEH

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

testing free agency seems like a no brainer to me.
He just has to make sure he leaves on good terms with the sabers.
Say he goes to the Leafs and is a big part of a deep run he just assured himself a decent next contract, say he goes to a contender but falters he has the sabers to fall back on. Just seems like a no brainer to me.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
testing free agency seems like a no brainer to me.
He just has to make sure he leaves on good terms with the sabers.
Say he goes to the Leafs and is a big part of a deep run he just assured himself a decent next contract, say he goes to a contender but falters he has the sabers to fall back on. Just seems like a no brainer to me.

You'd have more credibility if you could spell Sabres.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oilers should be in the running this summer. They'll have the cap space and he could be a good fit long-term. I'd imagine he'll come a bit cheaper than Markstrom due to less of a track record.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think he'd be just fine getting a 4-5M 2-3 year deal in UFA. There's multiple teams looking for a goalie upgrade that are much better hockey teams than Buffalo so it would make a lot more sense for him to at least test the UFA market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad