Proposal: Ullmark for Andersen, Dermott, 2nd

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
I'll stick with my 2nd and 4th and hope he returns to the Sabres.. Makes sense for both sides..
Just being curious, but has Ullmark or his agent given any indication what they might be looking for contract wise or have a comparable?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Seriously, is Buffalo really trying to make the playoffs or just run a clown show? If I was a fan of that franchise, I'd run the entire front office out of town on a rail.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
1- SAbres clearly want to keep ulmark, no doubt but they don't have any control of it

2- Ulmark is UFA and will probably have some kind of interest this summer by team like Toronto, Edmonton, Caroline, Pittsburgh... So i'm not sure stay in Buffalo in a losing team will be his favorite option

3- UFA goalie value is not really high, Just a second pick for Ulmark is pretty huge

So choice
#1 trade ulmark and get something before losing him
#2 Keep him and try everything you can to convince to re-sign
#3 Losing Ulmark for absolutly nothin when you don't have anything to win

If Buffalo can't resign ulmark before deadline, it'a probably his last season in Buffalo

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
1- SAbres clearly want to keep ulmark, no doubt but they don't have any control of it

2- Ulmark is UFA and will probably have some kind of interest this summer by team like Toronto, Edmonton, Caroline, Pittsburgh... So i'm not sure stay in Buffalo in a losing team will be his favorite option

3- UFA goalie value is not really high, Just a second pick for Ulmark is pretty huge

So choice

If Buffalo can't resign ulmark before deadline, it'a probably his last season in Buffalo
He'll re-sign in Buffalo.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
i think that perhaps you have cracked... Anderson has been playing through an injury (which was stupid) ...Anderson is miles better than Ulmark, and I am an Ulmark Fan.
one is a top starter in the league, the other is a career backup with upside.
...then you have Toronto, who are giving up the best player in the deal, adding 2 more assets as a sweetener to take the inferior player? good job, guess who says No!

Dermott alone for Ulmark is an overpayment for a UFA backup goalie ...though Buffalo likely wouldnt be able to protect him, so, there is that i guess
Wtf are you talking about?

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
As the title says, Ullmark for Andersen, Dermott and a 2nd (with Leafs retaining enough salary on Andersen to make it work).

Why for Buffalo?
Ullmark is a pending UFA, good chance he walks for nothing if the Sabres don’t trade him. Dermott has great advanced stats and plenty of potential, but is stuck on the bottom pair in Toronto, often looks like a 2nd pair D though. The a 2nd round pick is always nice to get.

If Andersen happens to work in Buffalo, there’s a chance to re-sign him, but obviously the main value here is Dermott and a 2nd.

Why for Toronto?
This is a good year to go hard for the cup, but it seems Andersen has cracked under the pressure of Toronto media. Wouldn’t surprise me if he returns somewhat to form elsewhere, but don’t see it happening in Toronto. Betting our whole season on Campbell is too risky, having a Campbell/Ullmark tandem for the playoffs is far more comforting.

Dermott is a good player but Sandin is nearly healthy and can take his minutes without too much drop off, and I think Dermott could use a change of scenery too. Dermott and a 2nd is worth it to solidify our goaltending for the playoffs.

Thoughts? Who says no?
On the surface I’d so this. You get real assets for a UFA who honestly you might be able to resign in off season. If not you can always get a goalie.

Anderson’s contract status is the only issue he Issue here. Don’t want anything more than a a year left.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Would rather do a prospect than Dermott. We don’t have an immediate replacement for the third pair.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Why wait a couple of months when you can turn on your Xbox/PS/PC, put the game on rookie and do it now ?

That difficulty is only necessary when playing as the Sabres.

While we’re making suggestions, Buffalo should go back to their winning formula; tanking on purpose. They were a much better team when they weren’t trying to win.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
On the surface I’d so this. You get real assets for a UFA who honestly you might be able to resign in off season. If not you can always get a goalie.

Anderson’s contract status is the only issue he Issue here. Don’t want anything more than a a year left.

Andersen is a UFA this summer as well.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
That's crazy how a defense with, what, 6? defensemen better than Dermott and a goalie who's worth a 1st+ as a UFA gets scored on so often.

Generally take what he says with a grain of salt. He doesn’t speak for the Sabres fan base. I’d make the trade personally. If taking back Andersen means getting Dermott and a 2nd, I’d do it. The Sabres can always sign Ullmark again as a UFA. Or they can get someone else (or two) (Raanta, Mrazek, Reimer, Elliott, Dreidger) in the off-season. Or trade for someone so a team like Columbus doesn’t have to expose a goalie (Merzlikins, Korpisalo).

But a free young Dman and whomever with the pick is fine by me for a goalie we may not have beyond this season.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Unless Ullmark tells the team he’s not resigning, buffalos best bet is to try and resign him
If he is for sure going to UFA, He’s only worth maybe a 2nd, so we’ll keep Dermott and offer that

but again, if there’s even a decent chance Buffalo can extend him, that’s their move

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Generally take what he says with a grain of salt. He doesn’t speak for the Sabres fan base. I’d make the trade personally. If taking back Andersen means getting Dermott and a 2nd, I’d do it. The Sabres can always sign Ullmark again as a UFA. Or they can get someone else (or two) (Raanta, Mrazek, Reimer, Elliott, Dreidger) in the off-season. Or trade for someone so a team like Columbus doesn’t have to expose a goalie (Merzlikins, Korpisalo).

But a free young Dman and whomever with the pick is fine by me for a goalie we may not have beyond this season.

I don't hate the OP from a Sabres POV either. I'd probably pull the trigger.

You are essentially getting two free assets for the cost of replacing Ullmark with Andersen for a handful of games in a lost season. What's to hate?

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
If Buffalo can't get an idea from Ullmark about the chances he re-signs then I think this trade is good value for a UFA goalie rental. The Sabres do have a need for a 2nd or 3rd pairing LHD. The problem is that the Sabres would have too many defensemen to protect in the ED.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Seriously, is Buffalo really trying to make the playoffs or just run a clown show? If I was a fan of that franchise, I'd run the entire front office out of town on a rail.
The entire front office is like one guy these days. Since the Pegula’s gutted the hockey department.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
The Leafs are not giving up that kind of package for what would essentially be a rental back up.....

There is no hurry to trade Andersen as he is a UFA at the end of the season and I'm pretty sure he's not on LTIR right now to help with the cap not hinder it.

Ullmark is probably worth a 3rd but maybe could squeeze a 2nd out of Toronto because of "need". Andersen if traded probably costs a 3rd as the cap saving really aren't that great anymore as the season is more than half way over.

I would do a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and a b prospect for Ullmark if they take Andersen. That would be the absolute highest I would pay for a back up rental and especially for a goalie who has not played more than half a season of NHL games and 0 playoffs games.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
So choice
#4 Trade him for an asset at the deadline, let him compete for the cup with a contender and then, when he becomes a free agent resign him in the offseason.

Win/win.

Reactions: Petrus

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
#4 Trade him for an asset at the deadline, let him compete for the cup with a contender and then, when he becomes a free agent resign him in the offseason.

Win/win.

Yes if we talk about a team who can be attractive for a goalie.

Can Ulmark prove he's an elite goaltender by staying with Buffalo? I don't think so. Ulmark situation look the same exact situation than Robin Lehner when he left buffalo. If he hit free agency, he will never return to buffalo, yes it can be a possibility trade and resign this summer but it's above 1% of chance.

% he get traded and not coming back in Buffal o : 50%
% he stay in buffalo but hit the market 25%
% he stay in Buffalo 25%
% he get traded and came back in Buffalo 0,0001%

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yes if we talk about a team who can be attractive for a goalie.

Can Ulmark prove he's an elite goaltender by staying with Buffalo? I don't think so. Ulmark situation look the same exact situation than Robin Lehner when he left buffalo. If he hit free agency, he will never return to buffalo, yes it can be a possibility trade and resign this summer but it's above 1% of chance.

% he get traded and not coming back in Buffal o : 50%
% he stay in buffalo but hit the market 25%
% he stay in Buffalo 25%
% he get traded and came back in Buffalo 0,0001%
Lehner had essentially hit rock bottom in both his career and personal life and the team had no interest in signing him whatsoever. The situation was so toxic that he needed a fresh start elsewhere and both sides recognized it. This is absolutely nothing like that situation.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
As the title says, Ullmark for Andersen, Dermott and a 2nd (with Leafs retaining enough salary on Andersen to make it work).

Why for Buffalo?
Ullmark is a pending UFA, good chance he walks for nothing if the Sabres don’t trade him. Dermott has great advanced stats and plenty of potential, but is stuck on the bottom pair in Toronto, often looks like a 2nd pair D though. The a 2nd round pick is always nice to get.

If Andersen happens to work in Buffalo, there’s a chance to re-sign him, but obviously the main value here is Dermott and a 2nd.

Why for Toronto?
This is a good year to go hard for the cup, but it seems Andersen has cracked under the pressure of Toronto media. Wouldn’t surprise me if he returns somewhat to form elsewhere, but don’t see it happening in Toronto. Betting our whole season on Campbell is too risky, having a Campbell/Ullmark tandem for the playoffs is far more comforting.

Dermott is a good player but Sandin is nearly healthy and can take his minutes without too much drop off, and I think Dermott could use a change of scenery too. Dermott and a 2nd is worth it to solidify our goaltending for the playoffs.

Thoughts? Who says no?
who on earth ever thinks of these proposals, my god give it up, ullmark is not a difference maker he is simply a backup thats it, why would the leafs give up dermott and a 2nd for this guy common already...

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
who on earth ever thinks of these proposals, my god give it up, ullmark is not a difference maker he is simply a backup thats it, why would the leafs give up dermott and a 2nd for this guy common already...
Well he is a number 1 and actually has a winning record which is unbelievable itself.Also Dermott would be exposed since we have Dahlin,Joker and Risto to protect.The second does nothing for us along with an injured Anderson.Sorry these answers don't match up to your rant but so be it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad