Proposal: Ullmark for Andersen, Dermott, 2nd

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
As the title says, Ullmark for Andersen, Dermott and a 2nd (with Leafs retaining enough salary on Andersen to make it work).

Why for Buffalo?
Ullmark is a pending UFA, good chance he walks for nothing if the Sabres don’t trade him. Dermott has great advanced stats and plenty of potential, but is stuck on the bottom pair in Toronto, often looks like a 2nd pair D though. The a 2nd round pick is always nice to get.

If Andersen happens to work in Buffalo, there’s a chance to re-sign him, but obviously the main value here is Dermott and a 2nd.

Why for Toronto?
This is a good year to go hard for the cup, but it seems Andersen has cracked under the pressure of Toronto media. Wouldn’t surprise me if he returns somewhat to form elsewhere, but don’t see it happening in Toronto. Betting our whole season on Campbell is too risky, having a Campbell/Ullmark tandem for the playoffs is far more comforting.

Dermott is a good player but Sandin is nearly healthy and can take his minutes without too much drop off, and I think Dermott could use a change of scenery too. Dermott and a 2nd is worth it to solidify our goaltending for the playoffs.

Thoughts? Who says no?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Ullmark is a national treasure in Buffalo.... stop now
If management think he’ll re-sign, then I certainly see them holding on to him. But if they think he likely bounces (quite possible? Buffalo has to have pretty low UFA appeal at the moment), I feel this is a pretty good offer.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Buffalo fans will say no... and if Ullmark is willing to sign in Buffalo, then the Sabres probably say no.

Assuming Ullmark has informed Buffalo that he wants to test the market... I'd question whether Dermott is the right piece, given that acquiring him would leave a choice between protecting him or Colin Miller.

I'd also imagine that retention on Andersen isn't on the table... if the Leafs are going to move Andersen, one thing they're going to be looking to do is free up some cap to make other additions.

Reactions: banks and Kurtz

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nope the problem with Ullmark is he gets hurt which is the problem with our current goalies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Buffalo fans will say no... and if Ullmark is willing to sign in Buffalo, then the Sabres probably say no.

Assuming Ullmark has informed Buffalo that he wants to test the market... I'd question whether Dermott is the right piece, given that acquiring him would leave a choice between protecting him or Colin Miller.

I'd also imagine that retention on Andersen isn't on the table... if the Leafs are going to move Andersen, one thing they're going to be looking to do is free up some cap to make other additions.

That is absolutely not the choice. No sane person with eyeballs would ever dream of protecting Miller. Buffalo's protected D will, in all likelihood, be Dahlin, Ristolainen, and Jokiharju.

In any case, absolutely 0 desire to trade Ullmark. If he's deadset on testing the market, Toronto's 2nd isn't a very appealing offer, which is what this trade boils down to.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
As the title says, Ullmark for Andersen, Dermott and a 2nd (with Leafs retaining enough salary on Andersen to make it work).

Why for Buffalo?
Ullmark is a pending UFA, good chance he walks for nothing if the Sabres don’t trade him. Dermott has great advanced stats and plenty of potential, but is stuck on the bottom pair in Toronto, often looks like a 2nd pair D though. The a 2nd round pick is always nice to get.

If Andersen happens to work in Buffalo, there’s a chance to re-sign him, but obviously the main value here is Dermott and a 2nd.

Why for Toronto?
This is a good year to go hard for the cup, but it seems Andersen has cracked under the pressure of Toronto media. Wouldn’t surprise me if he returns somewhat to form elsewhere, but don’t see it happening in Toronto. Betting our whole season on Campbell is too risky, having a Campbell/Ullmark tandem for the playoffs is far more comforting.

Dermott is a good player but Sandin is nearly healthy and can take his minutes without too much drop off, and I think Dermott could use a change of scenery too. Dermott and a 2nd is worth it to solidify our goaltending for the playoffs.

Thoughts? Who says no?

i think that perhaps you have cracked... Anderson has been playing through an injury (which was stupid) ...Anderson is miles better than Ulmark, and I am an Ulmark Fan.
one is a top starter in the league, the other is a career backup with upside.
...then you have Toronto, who are giving up the best player in the deal, adding 2 more assets as a sweetener to take the inferior player? good job, guess who says No!

Dermott alone for Ulmark is an overpayment for a UFA backup goalie ...though Buffalo likely wouldnt be able to protect him, so, there is that i guess

Reactions: Dustin and Kurtz

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
i think that perhaps you have cracked... Anderson has been playing through an injury (which was stupid) ...Anderson is miles better than Ulmark, and I am an Ulmark Fan.
one is a top starter in the league, the other is a career backup with upside.
...then you have Toronto, who are giving up the best player in the deal, adding 2 more assets as a sweetener to take the inferior player? good job, guess who says No!

Dermott alone for Ulmark is an overpayment for a UFA backup goalie ...though Buffalo likely wouldnt be able to protect him, so, there is that i guess
So much bullshit in your message, and Buffalo will surely be able to protect Ullmark, since we have no one else to protect.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Did this in the other thread

Anderson us useless
Dermott gets exposed because Buffalo has 4 Dmrn on left side better than him, 3 are exempt and Dahlin gets protected

not trading Ullmark unless it’s a 1st+ coming back.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Did this in the other thread

Anderson us useless
Dermott gets exposed because Buffalo has 4 Dmrn on left side better than him, 3 are exempt and Dahlin gets protected

not trading Ullmark unless it’s a 1st+ coming back.
Is there any word on what Ullmark is planning on doing? Is he wanting to stay in Buffalo, or is he going to test the market?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

no...

Buffalo is protecting

LD Dahlin
RD 2 of Ristolainen, Borgen, and Jokiharju
Miller is exposed for the ED salary requirement

if they trade Miller then Risto likely is exposed.

Buffalo has 3 exempt D in Johnson (NCAA), Samuelson, and Bryson. All 3 ED exemp and better than Dermott.

Also Dermott is arbitration eligible which coukd result in a much higher cost so they might decline QO him..

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
This is NOT the premium I'm talking about in the other thread.

Unless the Leafs give up a 1st or a player/prospect that doesn't need to be protected in the expansion draft.......I don't see it happening.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
no...

Buffalo is protecting

LD Dahlin
RD 2 of Ristolainen, Borgen, and Jokiharju
Miller is exposed for the ED salary requirement

if they trade Miller then Risto likely is exposed.

Buffalo has 3 exempt D in Johnson (NCAA), Samuelson, and Bryson. All 3 ED exemp and better than Dermott.

Also Dermott is arbitration eligible which coukd result in a much higher cost so they might decline QO him..

That's crazy how a defense with, what, 6? defensemen better than Dermott and a goalie who's worth a 1st+ as a UFA gets scored on so often.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
That's crazy how a defense with, what, 6? defensemen better than Dermott and a goalie who's worth a 1st+ as a UFA gets scored on so often.

I mean your point has no valid points at all but...sure.

Literally he mentioned the 3 guys expansion exempt he'd prefer over adding Dermott to only potentially lose his for nothing and that point alone went over your head lol. 2 of which havent played an NHL game so they hold no correlation to the Sabres record this season. Yikes man. That's just the tip of the iceberg. The goalie is question missed nearly all of this losing streak hurt and was not a part of the problem either but...you knew that right?

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Not interested. Would rather go after Ullmark in free agency.
This is what I am finding weird, if Buffalo is so set on keeping him then announce an extension unless Ullmark knows he could get more as UFA and doesn't want to resign unless it's a hug over-payment?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad