Uher, Payerl eyeing spots on Pittsburgh Penguins' NHL roster

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
oh youd rather have a stacked top 6 so they can put up LOLBIGNUMBARS and have the same ****** bottom 6 as last year?

just stop being a fan if crosby and malkin's point totals are all you care about.

this team looks playoff ready, i could care less who crosby's wingers are.

It most certainly does not. We have 2 legitimate top 6 wingers. That's a problem. So is having salary cap black holes like Scuderi and Dupuis on the roster, as well as having MAF in net (though this is his last kick at the can, and he showed some improvement last year).

Karnage420*

It most certainly does not. We have 2 legitimate top 6 wingers. That's a problem. So is having salary cap black holes like Scuderi and Dupuis on the roster, as well as having MAF in net (though this is his last kick at the can, and he showed some improvement last year).

not going to argue about dupuis and scuds. i think they are worthless - however we both know they will be on this team for the rest of the year, so its not worth discussing.

2 legitimate top 6 wingers isnt a big deal. the rangers did it with less talent, the 09 penguins did it with less talent - (maxime talbot was a top 6 winger for the playoffs).

MAF is a joke sure, but griess culd be serviceable in the playoffs - so im not super worried about goaltending.

wanting better wingers has to be the most selfish request a fan can make at this point.

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
not going to argue about dupuis and scuds. i think they are worthless - however we both know they will be on this team for the rest of the year, so its not worth discussing.

2 legitimate top 6 wingers isnt a big deal. the rangers did it with less talent, the 09 penguins did it with less talent - (maxime talbot was a top 6 winger for the playoffs).

MAF is a joke sure, but griess culd be serviceable in the playoffs - so im not super worried about goaltending.

wanting better wingers has to be the most selfish request a fan can make at this point.

better wingers is the only request we really can make at this point (unless someone believes that we can offload fluery for a better goalie)

the weakness is top six. neither of our top six wingers are super outstanding but they're very good complementary players and beyond that we only have bennett who has a chance at being a top 6 winger (aside from kapanen who isn't making it. sorry HOG) we could certainly use an upgrade if possible and would go from competing to favorites(out of the east) with the right move

Karnage420*

better wingers is the only request we really can make at this point (unless someone believes that we can offload fluery for a better goalie)

the weakness is top six. neither of our top six wingers are super outstanding but they're very good complementary players and beyond that we only have bennett who has a chance at being a top 6 winger (aside from kapanen who isn't making it. sorry HOG) we could certainly use an upgrade if possible and would go from competing to favorites(out of the east) with the right move

if thats the case, then we should be looking to trade futures (picks, kapanen, pouliot) and cap dumps (scuds and dupuis) for a legit player.

including sutter, despres, martin is lateral and perhaps a downgrade.

do we honestly think any teams would be willing to take dupuis/scuderi + our futures for a great top 6 forward?

if the answer is no - then this is our team. deal with it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
if thats the case, then we should be looking to trade futures (picks, kapanen, pouliot) and cap dumps (scuds and dupuis) for a legit player.

including sutter, despres, martin is lateral and perhaps a downgrade.

do we honestly think any teams would be willing to take dupuis/scuderi + our futures for a great top 6 forward?

if the answer is no - then this is our team. deal with it.

How does trading Kapanen for a winger help us? We want to compete now AND in the future. He is our only legit top 6 winger prospect.

Trading Sutter+ makes sense because we have 2 guys that can be 3C's on our team in Spaling and Goc.

Karnage420*

How does trading Kapanen for a winger help us? We want to compete now AND in the future. He is our only legit top 6 winger prospect.

Trading Sutter+ makes sense because we have 2 guys that can be 3C's on our team in Spaling and Goc.

cant have your cake and eat it too.

if you want a winger today - you trade kapanen.

if you want a winger for cheap later on, you dont trade kapanen. (obviously this is what id prefer).

trading sutter+ makes the least amount of sense because we would be much weaker in the playoffs and is a lateral move just so we can see crosby play with a good player.

also, trading sutter means Adams is a lock to play in the bottom 6, which almost guarantees no playoff success.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
cant have your cake and eat it too.

if you want a winger today - you trade kapanen.

if you want a winger for cheap later on, you dont trade kapanen. (obviously this is what id prefer).

trading sutter+ makes the least amount of sense because we would be much weaker in the playoffs and is a lateral move just so we can see crosby play with a good player.

also, trading sutter means Adams is a lock to play in the bottom 6, which almost guarantees no playoff success.

Um the thing is we CAN have our cake and eat it too. Downgrading 3rd line center from Sutter to Spaling while upgrading the top 6 wing spot makes us better because it pushes down one of Dupuis, Downie to the 3rd line. That gives us this:

acquisition-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Dupuis-Spaling-Downie
Comeau-Goc-Megna, Payerl, Sill
Adams

Let's just say we traded Sutter+Dumo+1st for Ladd. That keeps Kapanen around and makes us better now and in the future.

Also, what does trading a 3rd line center for top 6 winger have anything to do with whether Adams plays or not? We are subtracting 1 forward and adding another. Adams' stays in the same spot he would before the trade.

You seem to be really hostile and like to call other posters out yet say things that don't make any sense.

Karnage420*

Um the thing is we CAN have our cake and eat it too. Downgrading 3rd line center from Sutter to Spaling while upgrading the top 6 wing spot makes us better because it pushes down one of Dupuis, Downie to the 3rd line. That gives us this:

Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Dupuis-Spaling-Downie
Adams

Let's just say we traded Sutter+Dumo+1st for Ladd. That keeps Kapanen around and makes us better now and in the future.

Also, what does trading a 3rd line center for top 6 winger have anything to do with whether Adams plays or not? We are subtracting 1 forward and adding another. Adams' stays in the same spot he would before the trade.

You seem to be really hostile and like to call other posters out yet say things that don't make any sense.
mite b cool
but i still prefer having a great 3rd line than a perfect first line. call me crazy.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site

lol.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just want one better wing. I'm fine with Bennett. I still don't know who we would possibly get though. If we want someone who is unquestionably better than Dupuis and Downie (assuming the healthy versions) then its going to take a hefty + on top of Sutter. I think we're more likely to sign Penner than trade for a legitimate top 6 wing.

Karnage420*

I agree, it's selfish trying to build around our talent, Karnage is probably a Shero guy.

its selfish going after big numbers instead of a cup. not sure how the makes me a "shero guy". whatever that even means.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Dupuis-Spaling-Downie
Adams

Well said.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sutter, Dumo and 1st for Ladd?

I am on board with that. Although I do hope for a 3rd round pick attached to Ladd or the rights to Burmistrov.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
its selfish going after big numbers instead of a cup. not sure how the makes me a "shero guy". whatever that even means.

I agree with the general notion that scoring and stats aren't as important as winning. I don't see anybody saying otherwise (except for probably TTEoT). But we have struggled to score against strong defensive teams in 4 of the 5 playoff series we have lost since winning the Cup. Playoff scoring is a legitimate problem for this team regardless of what we can do against the bad teams that we have beaten.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

We aren't suggesting Sid and Geno need wingers so they can win more Art Rosses. If we were, the same people would be ultra pissed at the Neal for Hornqvist trade. We aren't pissed because we think Hornqvist will provide more of a playoff type grinding game and open up space for Sid or Geno by driving the net and parking his ass there. That doesn't scream flashy regular season points.

Honestly, you are arguing a ghost here. You are making an incorrect assumption that trading Sutter+ for top 6 winger means we want less Cups and more fancy scoring stats. That's incorrect. Have you watched Sid struggle to find any room against Boston, Columbus, and New York the last 2 playoffs? Why do you think that is? I think it has something to do with 3rd liners and AHL forwards on his right wing.

Our bottom 6 was a big problem last season and it was addressed. We brought in Spaling, Dupers will be healthy, brought in Downie, Comeau, and retained Goc. Plus one of the kids from WBS can take the other spot. We have plenty of bottom 6 options. What we need is one more top 6 winger. I'm really not sure how you can argue otherwise.

Karnage420*

I agree with the general notion that scoring and stats aren't as important as winning. I don't see anybody saying otherwise (except for probably TTEoT). But we have struggled to score against strong defensive teams in 4 of the 5 playoff series we have lost since winning the Cup. Playoff scoring is a legitimate problem for this team regardless of what we can do against the bad teams that we have beaten.

and im not really arguing against acquiring a winger for crosby, but i dont think the time to get one is now.

if we get one now, we trade sutter+

i think the only time it makes sense is at the TDL, where we trade futures.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
and im not really arguing against acquiring a winger for crosby, but i dont think the time to get one is now.

I think we should be done trading futures. We have continually done that and it's gotten us nowhere. We need to keep our top picks to have any chance at filling future holes up front with cheap talent.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

But at the TDL we'd probably only be getting a temporary solution back. I'd rather trade Sutter + for a guy we can keep for a while than trade futures for someone who walks this summer. Hell, I'd still rather trade Sutter than our valuable futures; so unless we can get a good return from our B level futures then I think trading Sutter is the way to go. We can replace Sutter immediately. Not just replace him, but have a competition between two solid options to see who gets to replace him.

Karnage420*

But at the TDL we'd probably only be getting a temporary solution back. I'd rather trade Sutter + for a guy we can keep for a while than trade futures for someone who walks this summer. Hell, I'd still rather trade Sutter than our valuable futures; so unless we can get a good return from our B level futures then I think trading Sutter is the way to go. We can replace Sutter immediately. Not just replace him, but have a competition between two solid options to see who gets to replace him.

if we believe in kapanen then we already have our solution at wing for the long term. a one year rental makes perfect sense if we believe hes ready next year.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
By the time he's ready, I figure Kunitz will be on his last legs as a top 6 player.

Yeah, if we treat this as a transition year where Kapanen is getting ready and the other young guys are getting experience Kunitz is another year older. Kunitz also didn't look great at the end of the season which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I'm not opposed to it, but they'd still need to be thinking about a new Kunitz and getting their hands on more picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad