Uher, Payerl eyeing spots on Pittsburgh Penguins' NHL roster

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

*The Pittsburgh Penguins head into the 2014-15 season with an incomplete NHL roster, and while some of that could change from now to start of the season, the organization seems content to let their prospects battle for whatever remaining spots there might be.

There appears to be at least one spot up for grabs at forward, with possibly more to start the year, depending on whether wingers Pascal Dupuis and*Beau Bennett have recovered from their respective surgeries enough to play.

“There’s definitely spots for somebody,†said Adam Payerl, a 6’3 power forward who is entering his third full pro season with the Penguins organization.… read more

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Altenbaugh

May 24, 2008
Pittsburgh
The vultures are starting to circle around Adams corpse I see.

Haha you may be on to something.

I've interviewed players at camp for a few years now and this is probably the first time several forward prospects are going into training camp with the belief they have a realistic chance to make the NHL roster. In years past they would say it, but the statement would be qualified with something like "It's every player's goal to make the roster".

This year, guys are seriously talking about their plan to try and make the roster.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
If this coach makes 'every' player earn a spot that in itself will make this team fun to watch again.

penguins2946*

The line that caught my eye was this:

“As far as development is concerned, we feel like we are not rushing anybody,” Fitzgerald said. “The [Olli] Maatta‘s and the potential [Derrick] Pouliot‘s are the exception to the rule. But the norm is play in the American Hockey League and develop your craft down there and grow at your pace, with the help of our coaches and our development staff.”

Now, I'm honestly think that the Pens expect Pouliot to be NHL ready next year. I don't think he would have said that if he didn't think Pouliot could make the jump immediately. Hopefully I'm wrong and they take their time with him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I've interviewed players at camp for a few years now and this is probably the first time several forward prospects are going into training camp with the belief they have a realistic chance to make the NHL roster.
In years past they would say it, but the statement would be qualified with something like "It's every player's goal to make the roster".

This year, guys are seriously talking about their plan to try and make the roster.

This is just sad, completely believable but cringe worthy.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The vultures are starting to circle around Adams corpse I see.

Mr.jpg

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh

I've interviewed players at camp for a few years now and this is probably the first time several forward prospects are going into training camp with the belief they have a realistic chance to make the NHL roster. In years past they would say it, but the statement would be qualified with something like "It's every player's goal to make the roster".

It's a situation I'm really going to be loving as a fan, and I bet a lot of people on this board feel the same way. Training camp is going to be really exciting for me because it's a clean slate for this team. No preconceived biases towards players or lines from coaching or management. An opportunity for young players to really make an impression on the staff and earn ice time through their play. Add that to trying to see what type of systemic play the coaches want to emphasize. The last couple of seasons definitely felt a lot more stale this time of year.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
It's a situation I'm really going to be loving as a fan, and I bet a lot of people on this board feel the same way. Training camp is going to be really exciting for me because it's a clean slate for this team. No preconceived biases towards players or lines from coaching or management. An opportunity for young players to really make an impression on the staff and earn ice time through their play. Add that to trying to see what type of systemic play the coaches want to emphasize. The last couple of seasons definitely felt a lot more stale this time of year.

Absolutely. I love hearing that. For the first time in a long time, I feel confident that the players on the roster will have actually earned their spots and their ice time. It's exciting.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Somewhere amung the crowd of eager guys is Bylsma hiding and yelling "Craig Adams deserves a spot on the roster", while vanishing into the darkness nowhere to be seen again...for the rest of the day.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Payerl should concentrate on being a big, fast, mean, defensively responsible guy who goes to the net. He doesn't have the talent to be anything else.

Karnage420*

Yes, Crosby & Malkin's prime being wasted makes me want to cry.

oh youd rather have a stacked top 6 so they can put up LOLBIGNUMBARS and have the same ****** bottom 6 as last year?

just stop being a fan if crosby and malkin's point totals are all you care about.

this team looks playoff ready, i could care less who crosby's wingers are.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
So, not really having seen these guys, which of these two seems more poised to make it?

Payerl is closer, and also 2 years older.

Uher has a higher upside, potentially being a Matt Cooke type player, that hits and agitates while chipping in some points being solid defensively.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Uher does seem like the more fun guy to have on the roster. But, like you implied, Payerl will probably get a look first. It's late July and I'm excited to think about every new name in any spot in the lineup right now.

Also, what kind of name is Payerl? Like, Pay Earl? Not that Uher belongs on a marquee... This is about all the insight I can contribute here.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Uher does seem like the more fun guy to have on the roster. But, like you implied, Payerl will probably get a look first. It's late July and I'm excited to think about every new name in any spot in the lineup.

Also, what kind of name is Payerl? Like, Pay Earl? Not that Uher belongs on a marquee... This is about all the insight I can contribute here.

Payerl is pronounced like "peril," though.

Imagine the Errey jokes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The lack of faith in this thread about Kapanen is disappointing.

Also, Payerl...you just never know.

Last edited:

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Payerl is closer, and also 2 years older.

Uher has a higher upside, potentially being a Matt Cooke type player, that hits and agitates while chipping in some points being solid defensively.

My impression of them is, using Penguins comparables, a poor man's Mike Rupp and Max Talbot, respectively.

I don't know how they come up with 'skilled power forward' for Payerl, he's 23 and (if he could stay healthy) a 20 point forward in the AHL. He's never put up serious numbers anywhere, and I'm certain he won't start doing it in the NHL of all places. What he does have is size, and the speed and temper to use it. He will be no more than a 4th line no name grinder but he is NHL ready. The Pens staff said that last year too but then he had a so-so start with WBS, and later missed 3 months with an upper body injury. As long as he doesn't get another long-term injury he could see a decend amount of games in Pittsburgh this season.

Uher needs more ice time to develop his game at the pro level. He started in WBS as a 19 year old so he's still very young. If he makes it, it will be as an energy player who works hard and is annoying to play against in a more skilled and structured way than guys like Sill or Farnham. Maybe he can add some more offense if he develops right. Uher topped out as a 33 goal scorer in the WHL but hasn't come close to that in his first two AHL seasons (though he did more than triple his points from the first year to the second).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
oh youd rather have a stacked top 6 so they can put up LOLBIGNUMBARS and have the same ****** bottom 6 as last year?

just stop being a fan if crosby and malkin's point totals are all you care about.

this team looks playoff ready, i could care less who crosby's wingers are.

If by playoff ready you mean we look like the Rangers from last year? Yes, we are playoff ready if Boston gets knocked out by Montreal and we have to play a team like the Pens that constantly chokes when it comes to the playoffs.

Who honestly gives a **** if Payerl and Uher make the team? What are they going to add to this roster that isn't already here. The only potential positive is that they move Adams out of a bottom six role, which our entire off season signings should do since they are all players that should be on the fourth line of a contender outside of Horny.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If by playoff ready you mean we look like the Rangers from last year? Yes, we are playoff ready if Boston gets knocked out by Montreal and we have to play a team like the Pens that constantly chokes when it comes to the playoffs.

Who honestly gives a **** if Payerl and Uher make the team? What are they going to add to this roster that isn't already here. The only potential positive is that they move Adams out of a bottom six role, which our entire off season signings should do since they are all players that should be on the fourth line of a contender outside of Horny.

Payerl will add a significant size component to the bottom 6 that isn't already here. So if he is really ready, it's a nice upgrade there. Our bottom 6 is significantly better than last year. I'm not sure why you can't recognize that. Also, Downie and Spaling are 3rd line players, not 4th liners. It's cool to be negative, but at least be accurately negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad