Uh.. Kailer?

Upperchucker

Oct 10, 2017
Definitely agree. I don't know where all this talk about him sulking and pouting, and not putting in the effort are coming from in this thread. He's going through a bit of a lull where his game isn't where it can and should be. That doesn't mean he's not trying or sulking. Things will turn around, he's far too talented for this to continue.

I'm just letting you guys know what I'm seeing at the games. When I've talked to the other fans around me, they've all said the same thing. I sit behind the opposing net and have a pretty good view of what's happening there. I seriously hope it does turn around for him. He's fun to watch. The guy does magic with a puck in close. He wants to be in the NHL, not the juniors. My guess is since he's experienced the big time, and it just isn't the same anymore. Can't really fault him for that I guess, but man, I hope his game picks back up at WJC and back in Spokane.

Reactions: Zaddy

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm just letting you guys know what I'm seeing at the games. When I've talked to the other fans around me, they've all said the same thing. I sit behind the opposing net and have a pretty good view of what's happening there. I seriously hope it does turn around for him. He's fun to watch. The guy does magic with a puck in close. He wants to be in the NHL, not the juniors. My guess is since he's experienced the big time, and it just isn't the same anymore. Can't really fault him for that I guess, but man, I hope his game picks back up at WJC and back in Spokane.
I appreciate the input, my post was more aimed at people who haven't been watching him claiming that he was sulking.

I'm sure the WJC's will get him back rolling, and honestly one down stretch is not the end of the world for a player like that. Even a guy like PLD had a bad first half last year in junior and is now looking pretty decent in the NHL one year later. I thought he was close to making an impact in the NHL this year so I'm really not worried about him.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
He'll probably be alright in the end.
Buuuut, to be honest he was already up against it due to his size. If you're below 5'9 in a very physical sport, you have to have the drive and determination of a pitbull on bathsalts and/or the calculation and instincts of a feline on cocaine. He's not showing much of either it seems.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He'll probably be alright in the end.
Buuuut, to be honest he was already up against it due to his size. If you're below 5'9 in a very physical sport, you have to have the drive and determination of a pitbull on bathsalts and/or the calculation and instincts of a feline on cocaine. He's not showing much of either it seems.
How anyone could say this about him after watching him for 9 games in the NHL + Preseason is beyond me. Kid was fearless to go into the corners against much bigger players, took a few hard hits and hopped back up.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
How anyone could say this about him after watching him for 9 games in the NHL + Preseason is beyond me. Kid was fearless to go into the corners against much bigger players, took a few hard hits and hopped back up.

So did Eberle, Gagner, heck Cagguila does it too often. I'm just saying his lack of such dedication since being demoted, in addition to his lack of size, is cause for some ripples of concern.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So did Eberle, Gagner, heck Cagguila does it too often. I'm just saying his lack of such dedication since being demoted, in addition to his lack of size, is cause for some ripples of concern.
Caggiula is the only one of those players who consistently did that. I'm not worried about him, and I think he's going to put on a show next week. Yes he lacks size, but he certainly doesn't have any fear on the ice and he has the skating and skill to succeed as a small player. He's a better skater than any of those players you mentioned and thats probably the most important attribute needed to succeed as a small player aside from hockey IQ, which he also has in spades.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He'll be fine. Everyone here was writing off Puljujarvi too and he's looking terrific now.

He can skate, shoot, and dangle, and was not physically pushed around during his stint here. Just learn to play with one of McDavid or Draisaitl and you're fine kid.

These are still kids, they lack maturity, we sometimes overlook that, but you're a teenager who comes from a modest upbringing swept into a world of million dollar paycheques, fast cars, gorgeous women waiting in every city, first class air planes, luxury hotel rooms, catered food, you're on national TV, have reporters everywhere ... it's a lot for some kids.

Going back to sleeping in your mom's house riding in a run down bus can be a lot to process for a teenage mind. Lets relax a bit here.

Leon Draisaitl and Jesse Puljujarvi went through similar things and they're looking good now. Kailer will get there too IMO. Too much skill, good kid, give him a talented center to play with here at the NHL level and eventually things will start to click and then the confidence comes and then voila.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I couldn't care less what he does or doesn't do in junior at this point. We'll see how he plays in either the NHL or AHL next season and have a better glimpse of what he has to offer. It's far, far, far too f***ing early to hit the sirens or the panic button.

Also have to be wise about some people's motivations. Hating the Oilers is certainly a 'thing', and if someone who's not an Oiler fan is kicking down one of our prospects I take that with the biggest grain of salt in the world, and so should all Oiler fans.

He didn't look out of place in many of his 9 games with the team in the NHL (and in pre-season he looked good relative to his competition, and that is actually is worth something. Yeah, some busts looked good in the past, but so have many great players, so that's a f***ing ridiculous argument). This kid has already proven a TON in the CHL, right from his great rookie season to the next 2 seasons after, including a brilliant season in his draft year. There's zero reasons that hold any weight for why we should be concerned beyond any degree of "very mild".

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Yamamoto scored a goal in the third in USA's 14-0 romp over Belarus. I don't know if there'll be a summary so I'm not sure what else he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad