Uh.. Kailer?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Trade him!

On a serious note, his only goal and four of his points came in his first game. Since then he has 2 assists in 6 games and no goals. And its not like his team sucks or anything. In their last 4 games, they have scored 6 goals once and 7 goals twice.

Has anyone watched his games? Is he getting unlucky?

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
7 games, 1g 5a? What's wrong with our boy?

Looks like he's playing a different role the past few games. Considering he's been taking faceoffs since he got back, especially in the last 4 games, it could be that he's been asked to do something different. He's never taken a faceoff with the Chiefs before this season. Also, I'm not sure what teammates he's been with. Doesn't look like he's been on the top line too much. He may have been pushed down in favour of Zach Fischer, who Spokane got early in the season from Medicine Hat, and has been putting up the points. As well, I'm not sure if Yams is on the PP as much. Team's been 5-2 since he returned so it's not like he's become a detriment.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't think there is a question that Yams is an extremely skilled and smart player. I wonder if he is trying to figure out some other stuff off the ice that can help him make the oilers next year. Hitting the gym hard, playing with his diet and that kind of thing. Or maybe he's just going hog wild spending all that NHL money he got. Or he is up all night playing the asian stock markets trying to turn it into millions. So many possible explanations :)

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He could just also be unhappy to start. Drai was really cold when he first went back to Jr's too IIRC.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It really sucks to watch him be a nonfactor in games. He is still a good player just going thru a real rough streak.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I wouldn't be too worried, plenty of players go back and struggle a bit to get going. If he really craps the bed for the rest of the year I'll be more concerned. He should have the inside edge at being on the US top line this WJC. Yams is a player, he will be ok.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn't be too worried, plenty of players go back and struggle a bit to get going. If he really craps the bed for the rest of the year I'll be more concerned. He should have the inside edge at being on the US top line this WJC. Yams is a player, he will be ok.
Does he have the inside edge? A lot of these World Junior teams but a lot of emphasis on how good the player has been lately, and in Kailers case, he is currently playing himself off the team.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Does he have the inside edge? A lot of these World Junior teams but a lot of emphasis on how good the player has been lately, and in Kailers case, he is currently playing himself off the team.

Pretty sure it was Bob Mckenzie, he tweeted out that the top line is expected to be Mittelstadt - Brown - Yamo.

Even if he struggles a bit over the next little while he should still be a shoe in to make the team. His resume speaks for itself, especially at the international level. 0% chance he not on this team.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pretty sure it was Bob Mckenzie, he tweeted out that the top line is expected to be Mittelstadt - Brown - Yamo.

Even if he struggles a bit over the next little while he should still be a shoe in to make the team. His resume speaks for itself, especially at the international level. 0% chance he not on this team.
Yeah, I just look a look at the players that went to the summer camp for hockey USA...they are a pretty shallow group so Yamamoto would be hard pressed not to make it.

Still I hope he turns it up a bit because his play has been quite mediocre.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Yeah, I just look a look at the players that went to the summer camp for hockey USA...they are a pretty shallow group so Yamamoto would be hard pressed not to make it.

Still I hope he turns it up a bit because his play has been quite mediocre.

Agreed, I thought he would be fire when he returned.

Has anyone on here watched any of his games, who is able to point out what he is doing well and what he is doing poorly? I don't really get a chance living in Ontario.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed, I thought he would be fire when he returned.

Has anyone on here watched any of his games, who is able to point out what he is doing well and what he is doing poorly? I don't really get a chance living in Ontario.
From what I have read and heard from a friend...he just isn't putting in any effort. He made the show for a bit and doesn't really seem to care about the junior level. Probably a little jaded, which explains why he kicked ass game 1 and then started to mope essentially since then.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
From what I have read and heard from a friend...he just isn't putting in any effort. He made the show for a bit and doesn't really seem to care about the junior level. Probably a little jaded, which explains why he kicked ass game 1 and then started to mope essentially since then.

Thanks, that is a little upsetting... He is a guy who made it as far as he did putting in as much effort as he could because of his size.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not a huge surprise. When you've been eating steak for a while, it's pretty tough to shove down mincemeat. And it's not like if he explodes down there, that there will be a quick callup. He's there for the year, and it's going to take a while for him to acclimatize himself mentally and emotionally to that. He'll be fine when that happens.

Reactions: IAGTTAYM and Aerrol

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I'd like to hear from someone reputable and who knows what's going on, rather than 3 or 4 posters on a seldom used message board or from someone's "friend".

Upperchucker

Oct 10, 2017
I'm a season ticket holder and haven't missed a game. Yammi hasn't been putting in the same effort that he did last year. The only thing I can really figure is he doesn't want to get significant injury considering what's on the table financially.

Now on to what I see during games. He's first line in large part because he's a local kid and his intros and team presence has boosted attendance. He seems to be struggling with playing with slower guys. He's focusing a lot more on passing and the finesse part of his game. His teammates just aren't McDavid and can't make some of the plays he expects.

He is also playing the role of decoy a lot. He's keyed on by opposing teams and they aren't playing clean hockey with him. His last game vs Regina he was being hooked and slashed non stop and it wasn't being called so it just got worse. He's getting boarded a lot more now and is facing more 1 on 2 than before.

There is also a new coach who is focusing more on the team chemistry on all lines. Overall, he's not playing like last year and that's concerning, but the rest of the team is surging after his return so it's hard to complain about the results.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Playing for a new coach, especially after not being around to learn a new system, would be a detriment. Has he really been playing first line minutes and on the PP lately? The "team chemistry" thing sounds like Robbie Ftorek, and his weird and probably egotistic, use of Gretzky when he was with Los Angeles. The move to start taking faceoffs seems odd as well.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Remember the Tkachev debacle? He thought he had a contract, but then it was nullified. Went down, probably disappointed, had a mediocre year and wasn't drafted for the second time in a row. Now it looks like he certainly should have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad