Uh.. Kailer?

Upperchucker

Oct 10, 2017
Tonight he might as well have not played. It was ugly and the rest of the team seemed to follow his lead. He knows he's been to the show and is going back. No hustle, little effort, flat out disappointed in his performance. I'm expecting a healthy scratch if it keeps up.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
-2, 0 points. Now suits at 7 pts in 9 games, only 1 goal (after 42 last year).

4 pts in first game. 3 in the next 6.

Not good at all.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I wasn't too excited about the way some writers declared Jesse a bust after having a slow start in the AHL this season. That's why I feel I should defend Yamamoto a bit now. It's not the first time a player has a tough time adjusting when he gets to taste the NHL first (e.g. Puljujarvi and especially Dubois).

Having said this, I certainly think he needs to get over it fast. Yamamoto is a good talent, but because of his size he needs to have a bit of extra to make an impact in the NHL. He needs to keep working hard and take every game 100% seriously even if he's not too excited about the league right now.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It looks like was a *little* better tonight, had 2 assists including the primary assist on the winning goal in OT. Better than nothing I guess.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This is kinda why I didn't want to keep him up for more than 3 games max. It's really hard for guys who stay up in the NHL for an extended period of time to go back to junior and be dominant again. If this continues he'll lose confidence and start questioning his game and why he isn't scoring in a league he tore up last year and when he was 'good enough' for NHL this year...it can lead to some bad habits. I mean, it's just 10 games so I'm not really worried yet but if it continues it'll be a bit concerning.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
This is kinda why I didn't want to keep him up for more than 3 games max. It's really hard for guys who stay up in the NHL for an extended period of time to go back to junior and be dominant again. If this continues he'll lose confidence and start questioning his game and why he isn't scoring in a league he tore up last year and when he was 'good enough' for NHL this year...it can lead to some bad habits. I mean, it's just 10 games so I'm not really worried yet but if it continues it'll be a bit concerning.

The World Juniors are coming at the perfect time for him. It'll be good to see some new coaches, teammates, etc. He'll have a huge opportunity there.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The World Juniors are coming at the perfect time for him. It'll be good to see some new coaches, teammates, etc. He'll have a huge opportunity there.

I am pretty sure he will end up with close to 2/ppg in the WHL this year, but with that said it really is all about the WJHC for him. That is the stage he needs to shine on. Will be fun to watch him. He should be one of the top scorers in the tourny.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I am pretty sure he will end up with close to 2/ppg in the WHL this year, but with that said it really is all about the WJHC for him. That is the stage he needs to shine on. Will be fun to watch him. He should be one of the top scorers in the tourny.
Him jumping up to 2ppg would be a massive improvement from his current play. I don't see it but its very possible.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Him jumping up to 2ppg would be a massive improvement from his current play. I don't see it but its very possible.

Not sure why you wouldn't predict it. He was at about 1.5 last year. Seems he is just adjusting, not sure why people are worried about a 10 game sample so much. Any way, 2ppg might be pushing it, but I bet he will be around 1.75 the rest of the year and finish around 1.5.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Massive opportunity for Kailer. I have full faith in him excelling in this tournament. I don't think he has enough time to hit 2ppg in the W, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
His point totals don't matter. What matters is that he works on the things the Oilers asked him to work on. That typically isn't "getting points".

Considering his utter lack of size, "getting points" had damn well better be on his To Do list, because the Oilers didn't draft him based on his defensive acumen. If the Oilers wanted the prototypical 200-foot player, there were much more appropriate prospects to select at that position in the draft.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
His points will come. He came to camp as a points guy and that got him a ticket back to junior after 9 games. He needs to get stronger, faster and more rounded to get to higher levels and stick. Only time and effort on his part will do that.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
His points will come. He came to camp as a points guy and that got him a ticket back to junior after 9 games. He needs to get stronger, faster and more rounded to get to higher levels and stick. Only time and effort on his part will do that.
One of his big issues right now is he doesn't appear to be giving any effort at all.

Reactions: CHIRAQREPDAT

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Considering his utter lack of size, "getting points" had damn well better be on his To Do list, because the Oilers didn't draft him based on his defensive acumen. If the Oilers wanted the prototypical 200-foot player, there were much more appropriate prospects to select at that position in the draft.

As long as he works on what he was told to work on, the points will come eventually. Your response is incredibly short sighted. If the coaches want him to work on his strength, board work and backchecking so he isn't a liability at the NHL level, is it really that suprising to see point totals dry up for a short time while he figures it out? The points he scores this year mean nothing to me. It's the points he scores next year as a pro that truly matter.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As long as he works on what he was told to work on, the points will come eventually. Your response is incredibly short sighted. If the coaches want him to work on his strength, board work and backchecking so he isn't a liability at the NHL level, is it really that suprising to see point totals dry up for a short time while he figures it out? The points he scores this year mean nothing to me. It's the points he scores next year as a pro that truly matter.
Yes but when he is putting up sub ppg level rates when his team is scoring TONS when he was close to 1.5ppg last year its worrisome. Especially when his effort levels seems gone right now too. If he was playing super well but the numbers aren't coming sure. But putting up sub ppg levels at his age in the WHL is worrisome.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Unless the guy is working on being a goalie the points should still be coming at some sort of decent pace.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes but when he is putting up sub ppg level rates when his team is scoring TONS when he was close to 1.5ppg last year its worrisome. Especially when his effort levels seems gone right now too. If he was playing super well but the numbers aren't coming sure. But putting up sub ppg levels at his age in the WHL is worrisome.
I think if you are worrying about it, you are worrying too much. We don't know what role he is being placed in right now. If the rest of the team is scoring buckets, then maybe his coaches are keeping him down the lineup so they don't mess with the chemistry of the guys scoring. Tons of possibilities here. It's only been a couple of weeks. Plus who knows if he took that flu that killed our locker room with him, ha ha.
It's too small of a sample size to get too concerned over.

Reactions: oilers'72

Upperchucker

Oct 10, 2017
I've been to almost all the games since he came to Spokane. If you didn't know he was drafted in the first, you wouldn't know he was drafted at all. The hustle isn't there, it's just not. Maybe he's saving himself for juniors, but watching him last year to this year is night and day. He does not look like the same guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad