GDT: UFC on ESPN: Blanchfield vs. Fiorot

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Condescendingly telling your opponent not to drop to the ground after you gouge him the in eyes multiple times seems like pretty douchy advice. Kind of f***ing hard to protect yourself in that situation. Also pretty rich coming from Weidman considering how he tried to con his way to a win against Mousasi.
Don't think there was anything condescending about it, it happened twice in the fight, seemed like good advice to me. Maybe just people's perceptions / bias makes them think it's condescending or not but I thought it was fine and not meant as a shot at his opponent.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Don't think there was anything condescending about it, it happened twice in the fight, seemed like good advice to me. Maybe just people's perceptions / bias makes them think it's condescending or not but I thought it was fine and not meant as a shot at his opponent.
He shouldn't have told Bruno what to do it made it awkward.. but no matter what happened after that ending it was going to be weird. It was a no win situation.

Reactions: Taytro and CDJ

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
At best he's admitting to getting away with multiple eyepokes and not showing any humility about it. Easy to see how it can come across as poor sportsmanship.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He could also just not be a dirty fighter

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
At best he's admitting to getting away with multiple eyepokes and not showing any humility about it. Easy to see how it can come across as poor sportsmanship.
Couldn't disagree more, he brought it up, he made a comment on it and then progressed with the interview. He has no control over the outcome.

He could also just not be a dirty fighter
I'd say the majority of fighters in the UFC are dirty by that standard. They all throw these stupid pawing open handed feelers that always result in eye pokes. The UFC and commissions have the ability to eliminate that by gloves that force your fingers closed more or by having bigger penalties for repeat offenders but they don't do it....

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Couldn't disagree more, he brought it up, he made a comment on it and then progressed with the interview. He has no control over the outcome.

I'd say the majority of fighters in the UFC are dirty by that standard. They all throw these stupid pawing open handed feelers that always result in eye pokes. The UFC and commissions have the ability to eliminate that by gloves that force your fingers closed more or by having bigger penalties for repeat offenders but they don't do it....
Not everybody hits 3 in 1 fight, there’s no debate Weidman was a dirty fighter tonight

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Not everybody hits 3 in 1 fight, there’s no debate Weidman was a dirty fighter tonight
I mean ... I don't think he was purposefully poking him in the eye. But there's no denying that he did it (probably even 4 times tbh). It's on the ref to enforce rules and make sure they're fighting safely. Obviously the ref thought Weidman was fighting according to the rules.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
30-27 Fiorot

I had her as a dog then I dumped some in her -130 after 1.5 rounds. Shes just too physical imo

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
A comment about the fight at hand though, Blanchfield is way outmatched here. Wonder if 115 is possible for her because she clearly can't deal with the size/strength of Fiorot. Wish Fiorot would be first and pressure Blanchfield to see what happens, she has the skills to be more exciting than she is.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Fiorot anywhere from 48-47 to 50-45. I tend to lean 49-46/50-45
I don't think it was unanimously 50-45 but hard to argue with the result. I had 4th round to Blanchfield just for pressure but they don't take that into consideration as much anymore, and it wouldn't change anything if they did.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't think it was unanimously 50-45 but hard to argue with the result. I had 4th round to Blanchfield just for pressure but they don't take that into consideration as much anymore, and it wouldn't change anything if they did.
Legit saved my night from being absolutely devastating so thank god the mob in AC didn’t f*** me lol

• Haha
Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Legit saved my night from being absolutely devastating so thank god the mob in AC didn’t f*** me lol
I had a lot of success with college ball today so having some (very limited) success on the fights just had me in a good mood. Ever think maybe we have a problem when it controls our mood this much?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
didnt do too hot on the main card, pretty well on the prelims though (a couple misses but more perfects than usual)

1711865624039.png

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I'm far too big a Weidman fan to likely ever be unbiased when it comes to him but I do think it's a shame that the takeaway from this fight will be the eye pokes as opposed to him beating a pretty decent striker on the feet.

After all Weidman's been through just seeing him at home, happy, was good enough for me. Circumstances aren't enough to ruin that.

All that said, his age and injuries have rendered his wrestling essentially useless now, which completely removes him from the conversation of relevance at 185. I hope this was his swan song but it doesn't sound like it will be.

Someone mentioned it in here but Blanchfield needs to move to 115. She was badly outmuscled in this one. And not that this is the end all be all, but Fiorot is what you're supposed to look like in your proper weight class, Blanchfield could make 115.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I personally hope Weidman gets chinned into retirement by a prospect after that performance but that’s just me

Looked good, completely ruined it by fighting dirty and acting like a dickhead on the mic celebrating and lecturing after blatantly cheating. No, it was not friendly advice. You double eye poked him, he literally couldn’t see and you’re telling him he shouldn’t turtle. f*** off dude. No wonder karma did that to his leg a couple years ago

If im a fighter and its the 3rd round and im up and the other guy has big power and im fading a little- guess who is now getting eye gouged so we can take it to the cards and win on decision?

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I personally hope Weidman gets chinned into retirement by a prospect after that performance but that’s just me

Looked good, completely ruined it by fighting dirty and acting like a dickhead on the mic celebrating and lecturing after blatantly cheating. No, it was not friendly advice. You double eye poked him, he literally couldn’t see and you’re telling him he shouldn’t turtle. f*** off dude. No wonder karma did that to his leg a couple years ago

If im a fighter and its the 3rd round and im up and the other guy has big power and im fading a little- guess who is now getting eye gouged so we can take it to the cards and win on decision?
And when Jon Jones does it people call him the GOAT 🤣😂.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Blanchfield looked really bad at times, reminded me of Dern’s bad fights. Good for Fiorot. She did a lot of cool things that would have been fun to watch if the fight wasn’t so repetitive.

And lol at Weidman, having to nerve to say all that corny inspirational stuff after winning by eye poke is something else. And this is the same guy who tried to game the rules with Mousassi. If this isn’t an appealable outcome I don’t know what is.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Jon Jones sticks his fingers out ALL the time. It's a very natural feeling out motion. It's a pretty hefty accusation to say Weidman intentionally stuck his fingers in Silva's eye. In a fight he was winning no less. He's never had a great gas tank but he wasn't THAT tired in this one. I don't buy for a second he thought to himself, I'm up 2-0, I'm a little tired, if I poke him just right it'll end the fight and go to the scorecards.

Not liking the speech afterwards is perfectly reasonable, his advice is correct but it's not the time for it, especially when you were just the offender.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Jon Jones sticks his fingers out ALL the time. It's a very natural feeling out motion. It's a pretty hefty accusation to say Weidman intentionally stuck his fingers in Silva's eye. In a fight he was winning no less. He's never had a great gas tank but he wasn't THAT tired in this one. I don't buy for a second he thought to himself, I'm up 2-0, I'm a little tired, if I poke him just right it'll end the fight and go to the scorecards.

Not liking the speech afterwards is perfectly reasonable, his advice is correct but it's not the time for it, especially when you were just the offender.
I don’t think he intentionally did it like he’s in the 3 stooges, I just think he did it multiple times even after being warned multiple times and it directly led to him winning. It’s careless and dirty.

I’m saying that’s what I would do if that’s how dumb they’re going to be with the rule. You can’t incentivize eye pokes like they just did

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad