GDT: UFC 299: O'Malley vs. Vera 2

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
The reality is Chito had no business getting this title shot off of beating Pedro. He got beat 5-0 by Sandhagen the fight before. Will be much more interesting to see how he fares against Merab's pressure and wrestling.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
The reality is Chito had no business getting this title shot off of beating Pedro. He got beat 5-0 by Sandhagen the fight before. Will be much more interesting to see how he fares against Merab's pressure and wrestling.
Sean got the #1 contender fight after having a No Contest with Pedro...

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Sean deserves the title shot at FW more than Alex
Sean has 1 defence against the 5th ranked fighter in his division, and has only fought 1 other guy ranked in the top 5. Volk had 5 defences and fought everyone ... Sean needs a couple more defenses before moving up makes any sense.

Okay.

That was a horrible performance.
Better than either of us could have done and better than the former champ did... Maybe Sean's just that good.

Reactions: MMC

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Sean got the #1 contender fight after having a No Contest with Pedro...
He was arguably losing that fight before the eye poke as well and obviously, they were trying to fast-track him up the rankings because of his hype. Hopefully the guys that deserve title shots start getting them now that Sean has his revenge story taken care of.

Reactions: Taytro

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Merab may be "boring" in the cage, but if you watch his tiktoks and such, hes actually a real funny and marketable guy.
Dana tends to hold grudges for a long time and he wasn’t happy about Merab not wanting to fight Aljo. So keeping Merab from the title as long as possible isn’t that far fetched for Dana.

Reactions: Taytro

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
Sean has 1 defence against the 5th ranked fighter in his division, and has only fought 1 other guy ranked in the top 5. Volk had 5 defences and fought everyone ... Sean needs a couple more defenses before moving up makes any sense.

Better than either of us could have done and better than the former champ did... Maybe Sean's just that good.
Nah, man. We would have just seen red and filled the octagon with uppercuts. Don't sell us short like that.

Sean is great. Completely agree. I just hate shelling up so much.

• Haha
Reactions: 16Skippy and Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
He was arguably losing that fight before the eye poke as well and obviously, they were trying to fast-track him up the rankings because of his hype. Hopefully the guys that deserve title shots start getting them now that Sean has his revenge story taken care of.
Doesn't sound like they will since he's already trying to go up a weight class. Merab, Sandhagen, and even Yan after his performance today (and his previous performance vs Sean). But Sean makes more money for the UFC than any of those guys so they'll want to protect him for as long as possible.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I knew I should’ve cashed out my bet and flipped it once I heard the staph rumors with BSD.

Teaching moment. Win or learn.

I saw it suggested in here that BSD has a glass chin, couldn’t be further from the truth. Watch the other fight he lost. His problem tonight was he had Frankenstein striking defense against one of the best boxers in 155 lb history

• Haha
Reactions: Taytro and Evilo

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Sean is great. Completely agree. I just hate shelling up so much.
Gotta wonder if something was seriously injured by the knee in the 2nd, Sean seemed confident that he felt something break in Chitos face. I think that would explain a lot about Chitos performance. I knew there was a skill difference but that usually turns Chito into a dog not into a turtle.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gotta wonder if something was seriously injured by the knee in the 2nd, Sean seemed confident that he felt something break in Chitos face. I think that would explain a lot about Chitos performance. I knew there was a skill difference but that usually turns Chito into a dog not into a turtle.
it looked like Marlon had triggered a shellfish allergy after the fight, I’m sure his orbital or something is broken

Vera might be the only 135er that doesn’t get finished by that

Reactions: 16Skippy and Taytro

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
O'Malley was on absolute fire. Seemed like he couldn't miss with anything and he was throwing all sorts of stuff. The few times Chito touched him, it seemed to affect him, though. I think Topuria is a bad idea for him, but doesn't matter. Merab is next. 100%. Before a few weeks ago, I would have said Merab runs him over, but after seeing Merab get stung by Cejudo and how sharp O'Malley was tonight? It's a damn intriguing fight if you ask me.

Poirier is a legend. If he doesn't ever win the belt, I think he's probably the greatest fighter to fight in the UFC that never won an undisputed UFC title. Don't really know what could be next for him. I guess maybe the loser of Oliveira-Arman? I think Arman is going to beat Oliveira just like I thought Fiziev was going to beat Gaethje and BSD was going to beat Poirier, but it's amazing how these legends are holding on.

I think MVP might be the best striker in the division. I couldn't believe how fast we was let alone for 36. I don't think he can win a title, though. Too many wrestlers at 170 and he looked terrified when Holland did have that choke in for a minute. Wonderboy would be a good fight, but I don't think it really tests either guy on if they can be champ. There's any number of fights for him, though. Covington, Brady, JDM. Colby didn't do shit to help it, but WW is in fact great again.

During the fight, I was thinking JDM reminds me a lot of Leon, but with more power. Very good, technically sound striker who doesn't take a ton of risks. Grappling isn't their forte, but they can more than hold their own. Having said that, I think Shavkat would wreck him.

Glad to see Yan get back on track. He's been way better than his record suggests. Same as WW, there's not a bad fight you could make with him.

The prelims were just OK, but I thought the main card delivered. Main event was a little lackluster because it was 1-way traffic, but still pretty action packed.

Reactions: 16Skippy and CDJ

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was a really fun card.

O'Malley dominated. He's clearly the better fighter and showed it but it would've been nice for Vera to have a better game plan and offer more of a challenge. Not sure what that plan would've been but do something? I know the broadcast kept mentioning just "go for it" and risk getting KO'd but you can't do that for the entire fight. Short bursts in rounds for sure but that's about it. Regardless, not many were beating O'Malley with the way he looked.

Merab has to be next. Both O'Malley and Topuria should be fighting people in their divisions right now. I can see why him and the UFC may not want the Merab option though because that dude is going to put it on him.

Best moment of the night was Poirier. What a performance. I was a little worried the way he was stumbling around and looking gassed in the first round and then he did what he does. Legend.

MVP/Holland was awful. Some nice creative striking from MVP to start the fight but then it was all waiting and counter striking from him after that. Holland coming forward is why we got any type of excitement from there on out. I'm thinking that's what Dana was alluding to in the presser when he said they have to match make MVP the right way. You give him someone who won't go forward and it's going to be awful if he fights like that again.

JDM's comeback was awesome. Could've been stopped a lot sooner than it was too. Burns was out out.

Yan/Song was a fun one. Nice to to see Yan bounce back and show what he can do. Some of those takedowns and transitions were ridiculous along with his usual striking.

Not sure what Almeida was thinking just refusing to let go while eating 27 shots but good for Blaydes. That's precisely why this fight had to happen when Almeida was calling for a title shot after the Lewis win. There's levels.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Poirier in the post fight presser :laugh:

Media : It seemed liked in the second round there was a moment you thought "Maybe I don't always have to jump gilly."

Poirier : Nope. I never thought that once.....You miss all the ones you don't jump, first of all.

Media : When you do eventually finish someone by jumping gilly (how excited are you going to be)?

Poirier : (interrupting the question) And I will.

He also said Mike Brown told him not jump it all training camp and Gamrot was telling him in the locker room before the walkouts :laugh:.

In all seriousness, though, he said BSD was physically strong in the grappling, but he was expecting his technique to be better because he has a judo background. He said every time he was taken down it was because he jumped gilly. I don't remember if that's 100% true, but certainly a lot of them were.

He also said BSD's punching power wasn't as high as he was anticipating. Poirier is as tough as nails, so probably not everybody can take those shots that well, but still. Maybe not as scary or durable as I thought he was going in. Definitely as relentless, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad