GDT: UFC 299: O'Malley vs. Vera 2

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
Hopefully BSD doesn't have to drop too far down in competition for his next fight.

I'll be curious to see if he can tone down the recklessness of his offense just a tad and also if he seems generally healthier. Lots of references to staph and then the admission of antibiotics. No excuses for him, but I'd like another top 10 fight from him fully healthy and maybe a slightly better plan than just 100% offense. I don't know anything about his coaching though to know if he's liable to improve or will just be a fun guy due to style and durability that ends up with a cracked chin and short career.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
He also said BSD's punching power wasn't as high as he was anticipating. Poirier is as tough as nails, so probably not everybody can take those shots that well, but still. Maybe not as scary or durable as I thought he was going in. Definitely as relentless, though.
That's the thing you have to realize, Poirier's recent fights consist of Gaethje, Chandler, and Connor. He's been hit by some of the hardest punchers the division has ever seen, so if you take a step down from that, it doesn't seem so bad. He's also just tough as nails.

Reactions: pistolpete11

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It’s a different style but BSD has the same kind of relentlessness that Gaethje had/s…Gaethje just realized he needed to make changes after the Alvarez/Poirier wars and now he’s a lot smarter about his pressure and footwork. Hopefully BSD does the same thing. That striking defense was pretty unimpressive though, I do not recommend zombie walking forward with your chin exposed. But Gaethje and even KZ fixed that issue to varying degrees, I’m sure BSD will too and I don’t think we’ve seen the last of him at the top of the division

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hopefully BSD doesn't have to drop too far down in competition for his next fight.

I'll be curious to see if he can tone down the recklessness of his offense just a tad and also if he seems generally healthier. Lots of references to staph and then the admission of antibiotics. No excuses for him, but I'd like another top 10 fight from him fully healthy and maybe a slightly better plan than just 100% offense. I don't know anything about his coaching though to know if he's liable to improve or will just be a fun guy due to style and durability that ends up with a cracked chin and short career.
I don't know about his specific coaches, but even though MMA is relatively new in France, they do have a history of pretty good kickboxing. Hopefully he can find the right help.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
O'Malley is basically a Fortnite character but is getting it done, and looks like he keeps improving too. Chito had his moments though, I don't think it was the outclassing the commentators made it out to be. I wouldn't mind a rematch if Chito gets another win or two.

Too much too soon for BSD. Poirer had the IQ of a potato but still knocked him back to the prelims.

I had the same reaction as pistolpete with MVP, he looked mindbogglingly fast. Loved seeing someone else pull off the "Yair elbow" too. Might be an unpopular opinion but I hope they give him appropriate match ups instead of "fun" fights though. I have no interest in seeing him cave in someone like Magny's skull like he did with Cyborg. Throw him in the deep end with JDM, Garry, or Brady.

Yan was awesome. Loved seeing the commentators saying Merab broke him after overeacting on takedown feints, only to see him adapt with uppercuts the next round win convincingly.

Reactions: CDJ

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
That's the thing you have to realize, Poirier's recent fights consist of Gaethje, Chandler, and Connor. He's been hit by some of the hardest punchers the division has ever seen, so if you take a step down from that, it doesn't seem so bad. He's also just tough as nails.
Not to mention Oliveira, who’s power in the standup is underrated (Gaethje said no one has ever hit him harder than Charles).

There’s talk between Islam and Dustin on Twitter for a June showdown. I’m here for it. I’d love to see Dustin get one more shot at the title.

There seems to be a log jam for the LW title shot, I guess that’s what happens when the champs only two defenses are against Volk

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
O'Malley is basically a Fortnite character but is getting it done, and looks like he keeps improving too. Chito had his moments though, I don't think it was the outclassing the commentators made it out to be. I wouldn't mind a rematch if Chito gets another win or two.

Too much too soon for BSD. Poirer had the IQ of a potato but still knocked him back to the prelims.

I had the same reaction as pistolpete with MVP, he looked mindbogglingly fast. Loved seeing someone else pull off the "Yair elbow" too. Might be an unpopular opinion but I hope they give him appropriate match ups instead of "fun" fights though. I have no interest in seeing him cave in someone like Magny's skull like he did with Cyborg. Throw him in the deep end with JDM, Garry, or Brady.

Yan was awesome. Loved seeing the commentators saying Merab broke him after overeacting on takedown feints, only to see him adapt with uppercuts the next round win convincingly.
I think Chito got outstruck 2x or 3x in every round, one card was 50-44. That’s about as thorough of a washing as it gets. He’s just the most durable guy to ever grace the 135 lb division so the result seems better than how the fight actually played out.

I don’t think O’Malley is gonna stick around 135 long enough for a rematch but we shall see. I think the footwork gap is too wide to close, something Din Thomas alluded to on the broadcast. It is funny Chito’s best shot was basically at the final bell though

O’Malley is incredible at creating angles, I think he’s my favorite fighter to watch outside of Gaethje (who is also incredible at creating angles). They both have great footwork and that’s why they are able to do it

Agreed on Page, if he wants to fight for a belt he has no time to waste on fights that don’t advance him to the absolute top of the division

Shoutout to the commentators for influencing that +300 Yan line after round 1

Reactions: 16Skippy

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
BSD just came at Poirier and had zero respect for his power and it cost him big time. His conditioning was piss poor, too.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
BSD just came at Poirier and had zero respect for his power and it cost him big time. His conditioning was piss poor, too.
Apparently he had staph and was on antibiotics during camp, but was conditioning really the issue? He pushed a really fast pace that had Poirier breathing heavier after R1 and it didn't really go long enough in the second for gas tank to be an issue IMO.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Apparently he had staph and was on antibiotics during camp, but was conditioning really the issue? He pushed a really fast pace that had Poirier breathing heavier after R1 and it didn't really go long enough in the second for gas tank to be an issue IMO.
Either his conditioning looked bad or he just looked sluggish. I thought after round 1 he was completely flat footed coming forward, and moving super slow. Zero head movement at all.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Great card on paper, and it met the hype for me overall.

O'Malley absolutely outclassed Vera. Don't know why Vera just stayed on the outside getting picked apart. Just too one sided to be classified as a great fight, but the performance by O'Malley was impressive.

Was worried for Poirier after that first round. Was going how I predicted where it looked like a changing of the guard. But what a knockout in the second round by Poirier. Definitely my favourite moment of the card!

Page did to Holland, what Holland does to most fighters. Really frustrating for Holland as he could not touch him. Got a taste of his own medicine. Page was really slick. He will cause a lot of problems. Although I don't think he will fare well against someone with at least decent grappling skills.

I thought Burns was winning the fight quite easily. Score cards pretty much reflect this as well. Bit of a lucky knee too finish the fight, but fair play JDM for not giving up. And one hell of a call out from JDM. So props to him for not shying away from tough fights.

Yan vs. Yadong was a great fight to start the main card. Yan looked in big trouble during the first round. He was biting a lot on the potential takedown threat. Merab really messed him up in that regard. But he stuck in and got the deserved win.

Prelims were good as well. Despaigne looks terrifying. Impressive performance by Pereira. Nice way for Wood to finish her career with a win. For some reason in my predictions I forgot how much RDA struggles with grapplers. Was scary how much control Almeida had over Blaydes in the 1st round. Almeida makes Gamrot seem exciting. Glad Blaydes caught Alemeida because I didn't want to watch another two rounds of Almeida having control and not doing much with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taytro and CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Either his conditioning looked bad or he just looked sluggish. I thought after round 1 he was completely flat footed coming forward, and moving super slow. Zero head movement at all.
I'm not sure what you mean by sluggish. The pace he set was blistering, despite the antibiotics.

His striking is kind of plodding and march forward, but that's just his style/lack of experience in striking combat sports. Same with the head movement. He got stung a couple of times by Poirier in the first, too.

I agree with your original point that he didn't take Poirier's power (and accuracy) seriously enough. I said the same thing the night of the fights. I think he's had his reckless style the whole time and has been smashing people, but he hadn't fought anyone that could exploit it until Poirier.

Basically, I think it was a "too much, too soon" situation.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I thought Burns was winning the fight quite easily. Score cards pretty much reflect this as well. Bit of a lucky knee too finish the fight, but fair play JDM for not giving up. And one hell of a call out from JDM. So props to him for not shying away from tough fights.
I think Shavkat would destroy JDM, but I don't want them to make that fight next. Guarantees to kill off a good, young potential title challenger.

Prelims were good as well. Despaigne looks terrifying. Impressive performance by Pereira. Nice way for Wood to finish her career with a win. For some reason in my predictions I forgot how much RDA struggles with grapplers. Was scary how much control Almeida had over Blaydes in the 1st round. Almeida makes Gamrot seem exciting. Glad Blaydes caught Alemeida because I didn't want to watch another two rounds of Almeida having control and not doing much with it.
I get people being frustrated with Almeida, but I was just as frustrated with Blaydes. How a vet with a wrestling background didn't understand he needed to break the lock around his waist or else he was going to keep getting dumped to the ground is beyond me.

Boring from Almeida, but it was winning him the round. On the other hand, what the f*** was Blaydes doing?

Reactions: Taytro

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I think Shavkat would destroy JDM, but I don't want them to make that fight next. Guarantees to kill off a good, young potential title challenger.

I get people being frustrated with Almeida, but I was just as frustrated with Blaydes. How a vet with a wrestling background didn't understand he needed to break the lock around his waist or else he was going to keep getting dumped to the ground is beyond me.

Boring from Almeida, but it was winning him the round. On the other hand, what the f*** was Blaydes doing?

I concur.

Welterweight is probably the most interesting division atm.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Blaydes also had like what, 20lbs on Almeida and was still getting ragdolled? Blaydes is known as a wrestler and it looked like he hadn't wrestled a day in his life the way Almeida was able to just take him down at will, a wrestler was taken down 9 times in the first round... Blaydes got the result he wanted but definitely not the performance he, or the UFC wanted. I don't think he increased his stock, despite winning and definitely didn't force himself into the title shot.

Reactions: I am not exposed

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1710186895000.png

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Who's conditioning was piss poor? Poirier looked gas as BSD was just on him the entire time. Definitely my favorite moment when Dustin got the KO.
Maybe I'm not used to watching him, but after the first round he looked like a robot. Just flat footed, didn't move his head at all. Just looked like he was walking straight. Maybe it wasn't a cardio issue and more so technique. It felt like I could feel him fading.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
New WW rankings were released and Colby went up a place. :laugh:

He has not won in over 2 years. And he doesn't have wins against any ranked WW.

JDM jumps up 6 places with his victory over Burns.

Also quite funny that BSD went up a place in lightweight even though he lost.
You beat me with the edit. I was going to say BSD went up for getting KO'ed :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad