GDT: UFC 298: Volkanovski vs. Topuria

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Rogerio getting 100k/100k is wild
Whoever Dern's manager is deserves a raise.
Andrea Lee and Miranda Maverick opening the early prelims and making 70/75% what Merab is making on the main card is wild to me. At least people like looking at Dern.

Lee is 2-6 in her last 8, Maverick is 3-3 in her last 6, when did they earn a raise. Merab is on a 9 fight win streak and is #2 in the division. He needs a new manager. So does Ian Garry with how the UFC has been investing in him.

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
Andrea Lee and Miranda Maverick opening the early prelims and making 70/75% what Merab is making on the main card is wild to me. At least people like looking at Dern.

Lee is 2-6 in her last 8, Maverick is 3-3 in her last 6, when did they earn a raise. Merab is on a 9 fight win streak and is #2 in the division. He needs a new manager. So does Ian Garry with how the UFC has been investing in him.
I'm pretty sure sometime around the Endeavor purchase the show and win money formulas were adjusted. So some of this could be out of the fughters control since it was tiered a certain way based on number of UFC fights.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's great. Just fun little gimmick to entertain, get under Topuria's skin, and promote the fight a bit, even though it probably won't result in a ton of extra buys if we're being honest. Who knew you could do that without being unlikable, disrespectful, racist, etc.
Humor, especially in the fight game, goes a long way with me. Like I get why people didn't like Conor, but pre-Khabib, I thought he was great because he was funny. I know people have been saying nasty shit to each other in the fight game forever, but I feel like the Khabib lead up was when things started to be more about how controversial you could be.

I wonder how much of Lee and Maverick is the UFC being desperate to improve WFLW. Lee was the LFA FLW champ before coming to the UFC and Maverick had won an Invicta FLW tournament (at 22 I'll add).

Merab is obviously a championship caliber fighter, but he doesn't have a fan friendly fighting style and frankly the UFC doesn't really need him for the division. I'm not saying he shouldn't get more. I think all the fighters should get more. But in comparison, I think it makes sense.

Reactions: Taytro

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Also, in regards to Maverick, I think there's still a lot of potential there. She's only 26 and although she's 3-3 in the UFC, her losses are:

UD to Blanchfield, who I'm convinced is the best FLW in the UFC

SD to Barber, who is currently ranked #6 and on MMADecisions, 100% of the media scores had it 29-28 Maverick

UD to Jasudavicius, who I know literally nothing about. I know I missed that card and she doesn't even have a Wiki page.

Reactions: 16Skippy and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also, in regards to Maverick, I think there's still a lot of potential there. She's only 26 and although she's 3-3 in the UFC, her losses are:

UD to Blanchfield, who I'm convinced is the best FLW in the UFC

SD to Barber, who is currently ranked #6 and on MMADecisions, 100% of the media scores had it 29-28 Maverick

UD to Jasudavicius, who I know literally nothing about. I know I missed that card and she doesn't even have a Wiki page.
Jasudavicius is a good fighter too. Maverick is legit imo

I feel good about zero of my bets

Reactions: Taytro and Avs_19

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Merab is no longer with Serra/Longo? Was surprised to turn on Embedded this morning and see him training at Syndicate and amazingly the topic was never broached. Did the Aljo connection finally just get too awkward? I never thought Merab and Serra/Longo would split, they seemed to absolutely love each other.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Merab is no longer with Serra/Longo? Was surprised to turn on Embedded this morning and see him training at Syndicate and amazingly the topic was never broached. Did the Aljo connection finally just get too awkward? I never thought Merab and Serra/Longo would split, they seemed to absolutely love each other.
He's still with Serra-Longo...

Both Aljo and Merab split their time between NY and Vegas. I know Aljo trains with Eric Nicksick when he's in Vegas and he's cornered him a couple times.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Rogerio getting 100k/100k is wild
Dern has to be the most overpaid fighter on the roster...

The UFC is paying $200,000 to a fighter that I never want to see on a main card
One thing to remember is that both of these fights were taken on short notice so I'm assuming there was a little bump because of that. I know that Tafa's manager said yesterday day that he only weighed in so late because Rogerio's side was still negotiating. Still I can't see his fight being so essential that they'd double his pay or something like that.

Reactions: CDJ

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
IMG_1960.jpeg

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
@CDJ got any "guarantees" for me or a parlay? I haven't lost money with you in a bit so I'm looking to get back into it.

Who did you bet on?

I did a Maverick-Lemos-Hernandez parlay and Merab and Whittaker.
Long shot parlay is Volk/Kopylov/Barlow/Merab at +1099

I kinda like Kopylov as my biggest dog on the card, he’s got good takedown defense so far in his career and I think his striking is better than Fluffy

I also got a Maverick/Nakamura/Merab/Rob/Tafa fight under 1.5 rounds as a more moderate risk one

Reactions: 16Skippy

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Barlow is a special athlete with big power in his left hand. Idk about the TD defense

And he comes out to Dolph. Feel good about the bet

Reactions: Taytro

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
On my lunch now, wouldn’t have even bothered taking one of it wasn’t legally required. I’m right by one of the reserved sections for celebrities, on the media/commission side. Closer than last time and thankfully there’s much more security than I had to work with for 270 since I’m next to a VIP section. Amazing night so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad