GDT: UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Any word on what fight is going to get promoted to the main card? Emmett-Mitchell would be the obvious best one IMO, but they like to keep the prelim headliners in place a lot of times.

Maybe Cody-Kelleher?
Rooting hard for Kelleher, a bump would be sick for him

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, Garbrandt/Kelleher would make the most sense. They basically never bump the prelim headliner as it's been marketed on ESPN already.

They don't mind bumping early prelim headliners sometimes so Alonzo Menifield vs. Dustin Jacoby would work too and that's a really fun fight.

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fine losing that fight, one less thing to juggle with the football game.

Hopefully nothing else falls off though

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Really strong card on paper. I haven't been as engaged recently but this is definitely a must watch.

The MMA Gods are cruel but they can't be cruel enough to let this cartoon character become champ, can they? Leon better win.

Shavkat/Wonderboy is interesting. Not in the sense that I think it'll be close because I think Shavkat will be in complete control throughout but it's not always easy to look impressive against Wonderboy. Nothing against Wonderboy but I hope that's not the case this time. I want this to be Shavkat's coming out party on a big stage.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I know I’m not as active on this board as I was in the past when it seemed like myself @m9 @MMC and @avs19 were posting daily in here. Years upon years of fight cards. What im getting at is we’ve heard all kinds of trash talk from the best. But what I heard Covington say about Edward’s Dad was absolutely f***ed up.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I know I’m not as active on this board as I was in the past when it seemed like myself @m9 @MMC and @avs19 were posting daily in here. Years upon years of fight cards. What im getting at is we’ve heard all kinds of trash talk from the best. But what I heard Covington say about Edward’s Dad was absolutely f***ed up.
New low for Colby. Maybe of anybody in MMA since I've been watching.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It seems like there's only ever genuine beef between the 2 guys in a PPV headliner anymore when Colby is involved. Before this one unless I'm remembering wrong it seems like the last is when he fought Masvidal, and I don't know if I can think of any before that before his 2nd Usman fight

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Yeah, the comment was uncalled for.. Colby is going to get knocked out hard. It'll be good seeing that.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It seems like there's only ever genuine beef between the 2 guys in a PPV headliner anymore when Colby is involved. Before this one unless I'm remembering wrong it seems like the last is when he fought Masvidal, and I don't know if I can think of any before that before his 2nd Usman fight

I think Adesanya/Strickland, Sterling/O'Malley, Pereira/Adesanya all had some heat behind them as well this year. Pena/Nunes from last year was the other one I thought of.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I'm not really a fan of either guy in the fight, but after that dad comment I'm siding with Leon because I can understand the rage that could come from hearing someone say that about a dead family member.

What did he say?

Said he was going to drag Leon to the 7th circle of hell and while he was there he could say hi to his dad. Going off memory from some embedded interview/clip or something, Leon grew up with a gangster father that was murdered in a gang shooting or something.

• Wow

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
How is Leon less likeable than Colby?

lol at Colby "sleeping" anyone. I honestly don't think I've ever even seen him stagger anyone with a punch.
Leon has all the same things going for him that people don't like about Colby, boring fighter, not active, doesn't have a resume of the contenders of his division, at least with Colby you have a guy who makes the background around his fights interesting and creates hype in his media sessions and press conferences

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Leon has all the same things going for him that people don't like about Colby, boring fighter, not active, doesn't have a resume of the contenders of his division, at least with Colby you have a guy who makes the background around his fights interesting and creates hype in his media sessions and press conferences
He’s beaten Usman twice (one a brutal finish), Colby has lost to him twice. They are not the same in terms of resume.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
With all the "fight of the year" stuff going around right now I find it crazy that Volk/Islam is most people's FOTY. It's not even close to me - Pantoja/Moreno was so much better.

Kind of a weak year to be honest, I don't even have a runner-up. I did love Gaethje/Fiziev, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad