Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Only if super cheap as a 6-7 but risky in playoffs

He got walked alot

I like Cole but he absolutely needs to be a 7th guy who draws in only on a rotation. For all the idiocy he has this series, a lot of it was just awful luck. That being said, he's 35 and just doesn't have the endurance to play a full season.

He certainly is low on the priority list but he's not a "get out" candidate like say, Mikheyev and Lafferty.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i’ll start by acknowledging that i wasn’t expecting to be watching the canucks this time of the year and that this has been a fun ride

but the game tonight, oh my gosh.

starting mik on the top line was a giant facepalm. hoglander would have scored several times on the opportunities that mik got off the jump.

petey was our best forward again, but a very low bar.

lindholm looks like he was playing with a broken hand?

and yes, the pp. but the one thing i think tocchet needs to learn before next year is short shifts. for a guy who came up under keenan, it’s almost incomprehensible to me that he regularly leaves his top lines out there for 90 second shifts, even when he has the chance to change them after 45. and don’t even get me started leaving your five best players out there for full powerplays where they aren’t even gaining the zone. tbh, i am guessing all three of hughes, petey, and miller are pretty seriously injured, but they also have hella miles on them from so many two minute pps.

but i’m glad they ended the season on a high note, and not playing the same garbage hockey they did for the first 50 minutes of the game. my kid cried himself to sleep again, the first time being when vegas eliminated us four years ago. but i’m glad his last memory of all this will be the last ten minutes and not the first 50.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hughes and Pettersson learned some valuable lessons from these playoffs, where they were mostly far below where they needed to be.

As the old saying goes, your best players have to be your best players. And that simply wasn't the case for the Canucks in this series.

It's clear that the Canucks need a dramatic upgrade in bottom half of their forward group. They need more size, more youth and more production. But above all else, they have to address the overall issue with team speed.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
For sure.

2.89 GAA and .898 SV % this post season.

Did way better than anyone expected but these are still Alex Auld numbers. A healthy Demko putting up these numbers would be very disappointing. Again, not pinning it on Silovs...just saying this team really missed elite goaltending.

He was easily the best Canuck player in game 7. That across the crease glove save, and cross crease pad save were huge. Silovs did everything he could to get Demko into the next round, unfortunately his team only showed up in the last 5 minutes. For a player with less than 20 games under his NHL resume, I thought he played freaking superb under the circumstances.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Id be very surprised if the Oilers beat Dallas, or Florida, or especially the Rags who I think will win it this year
At the end of the day McDavid can do the McDavid to these teams. Don't think they're strong enough from the net out to hold but you never count out a generational talent that can play with at least 3 other super skilled players when push comes to shove.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I like Cole but he absolutely needs to be a 7th guy who draws in only on a rotation. For all the idiocy he has this series, a lot of it was just awful luck. That being said, he's 35 and just doesn't have the endurance to play a full season.

He certainly is low on the priority list but he's not a "get out" candidate like say, Mikheyev and Lafferty.

Naw, Cole can go.
Retire on something, guy was horrible this series

rea

Feb 8, 2011
He also let two undeflected point shots in. He was Sub 900 in 4 of the 7 games
He also saved their asses with alot of key timely saves that they didn't reward him back with. The Oilers had so many open slot chances that he stopped, the breakaway today. Throwing the rookie into the fire against 2 of the best players in the world, along with canucks playing that passive box dzone allowing them to set up. He wasn't the reason they lost, he was better than his opponents on the other side. Me personally, he ain't getting no grief from me.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Imagine if the Oilers goes out and wins the cup now. Bet a lot of Canuck players will be kicking themselves then.

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

If they manage to beat Dallas and either Florida or New York, good for them. I don't see any chance in hell they could survive how the Rangers or Panthers play. Frankly, I think the Stars dummy them but who knows.

And I don't say that as a sour Canucks fan either. Dallas isn't too far off from us in terms of their defensive structure. They're just better in almost every way offensively.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This postgame stuff...

Garland is just gutted.

Bozo is gonna get in a fight tonight and they're gonna have to cover it up. He might murder someone. The tension in his speech is so intense.

And f***ing Draisaitl...man...i can't even bring myself to hate the guy. He's just so blunt, honest, humble...and talented as heck. I want that guy on my team.

McDavid though...such a little bitch. I don't want him. I hope he never wins a Cup. Ever.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
You wonder how long the Canucks can play a system where they have to outwork the opposition every night to win. They looked exhausted out there.

Typically less talented teams have to play with better structure and more effort than more talented teams to make up for that discrepancy.

This isn't new.

And teams with limited talent have limited potential, and we reached ours.

It just is what it is. No other style was going to magically make this roster into a true contender.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021

Aman and joshua are not keepers either

We need consistent reliable depth

Garland was incredible tonight
He was incredible all second half of the season and playoffs

Reactions: B-rock

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This postgame stuff...

Garland is just gutted.

Bozo is gonna get in a fight tonight and they're gonna have to cover it up. He might murder someone. The tension in his speech is so intense.

And f***ing Draisaitl...man...i can't even bring myself to hate the guy. He's just so blunt, honest, humble...and talented as heck. I want that guy on my team.

McDavid though...such a little bitch. I don't want him. I hope he never wins a Cup. Ever.

Miller might jump someone on Granville, he will show off that American grit.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Aman and joshua are not keepers either

We need consistent reliable depth

Both are fine imo. Well, Joshua entirely comes down to what he wants. 2.5M? We absolutely take that without a second thought. We aren't replacing what he brings for that amount. 3M is where I'm concerned but still interested. Anything above that and you have to let him walk.

Aman is cheap depth. Can't ask for much from a guy making less than a 1M.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Both are fine imo. Well, Joshua entirely comes down to what he wants. 2.5M? We absolutely take that without a second thought. We aren't replacing what he brings for that amount. 3M is where I'm concerned but still interested. Anything above that and you have to let him walk.

Aman is cheap depth. Can't ask for much from a guy making less than a 1M.
We. Have plenty of better options

Bains
Lekkermaki

rea

Feb 8, 2011
For sure.

2.89 GAA and .898 SV % this post season.

Did way better than anyone expected but these are still Alex Auld numbers. A healthy Demko putting up these numbers would be very disappointing. Again, not pinning it on Silovs...just saying this team really missed elite goaltending.
Problem is, we shouldn't have had to depend on elite goaltending to win this series.

The team imo, had the right build, while not blaming the coach, they fell into this weird defensive stance, even if we were outshot in the reg season, it was never to the extent and degree it was these whole playoffs.

They have the ability to takeover games and they showed it, but they always needed something to push them to get to that point. Hopefully they use that and and replaying the games, to change their drive to a 60min effort instead of 1 period.

Also, without knowing what the result would have been with demko in net, I miss elite goaltending as well. 👍

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Drai? Humble?

“posts are not shots”?

He pulls no punches. Ever. And that's what i respects about him.

He just says whatever is on his mind. He's their JT Miller.

It's McDavid's bullshit white bread nothing with a dash of whining for seasoning that i absolutely cannot stand. I genuinely to the core of my being, hope that he never wins a Cup. More than i can say about any other person on earth ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad