GDT: UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Wasn't the most entertaining event, but the right guys won at least.

Gritty veteran performance from Pantoja.

Edwards had an easy 3-4 rounds before Colby finally showed signs of life, and I'm glad the audience didn't let Colby win them back post-fight with his first responder/Trump BS. You could see him desperately clinging to his shitck and even the fans saw right past it. One of the most disgraceful individual showings in UFC title history when you consider all the circumstances imo.

Shavkat looks like #1 already and nobody seems interested in Belal, so I'm curious to see what happens at 170 now.

Paddy did what he needed to do, but gassing out like that...anyone other than a completely cooked Tony Ferguson would've come back for the win in rd 3. That said, Paddy is what he is and should probably get a half-decent opponent next. Still a nice feather in the cap.

Emmett on Mitchell was one of the nastiest KO's of all time. Tough to see anyone coming back strong from a devastating KO like that, but I really hope Mitchell didn't lose too much in that one.

Also have to mention the obvious FOTN between Rosa and Aldana, amazing fight.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Leon’s corner is my fav in the sport I think. Leon having to stop his postfight to tell his coach to stop calling Colby names lmao

Colby brought up Leon’s murderer dad to try to sell the fight and he may have had his career snatched as a result. Lost a lot of fans with those words and that no-show performance followed by the delusional postfight speech. His fans are all Strickland guys now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16Skippy

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't really care for a Leon/Belal fight from an excitement level but that should be next. Give Belal his shot already. He's on a nice streak and is already 35 so it's now or never for the guy.

Shavkat having to fight once more wouldn't be the worst thing considering he has yet to fight/beat anyone in the top 5. They just announced Burns vs. JDM so I guess that just leaves Usman as a potential top 5 match up considering there is zero chance Colby takes that fight.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
In terms of a fight that people want to see that can headline an event of that size.
You're going to headline UFC 300 with a 3 rounder, or are you putting McGregor in a non-title 5 round fight?

Neither scenario seems ideal...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I wouldn't be excited for Leon-Belal, but it has to be next. For the sake of sport. And you never know. Plenty of fights I wasn't looking forward to turned out great and vice-versa.

The thing with Colby.....yes he crosses the line with some of his comments and yes the schtick is a sophomoric troll.....but the thing that really gets me is that he's not even good at it. He's not funny, he stumbles over his rehearsed lines, he's not quick off the cuff, and/or he doesn't stay 100% committed to it.

Like when they were reading the scores last night. He knows he lost so he's politely clapping like fighters do when they know they were beat....but then he gives a half assed objection to it. If you thought you won, or at least want to play that angle, you should be raising your hands, smiling, saying "and new!"....ya know? Stuff that people that won do. Not politely clap.

Or in the post-fight presser, they asked him if he thought Belal or Shavkat should be next to fight Leon. He says something like"Ummm.......probably (insert whatever childish Trumpian nickname he has for Shavkat followed by a few other insults). Give the fans what they want." Huh? There's 2 and only 2 approaches to answer that question if you're playing Colby's character. 1) I don't give a shit. Nobody cares about that fight. It's boring. yadda, yadda, yadda. or 2) if you're going with the "I won that fight, but they stole it from me like they stole the election from Trump" angle, "I should get a rematch."

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
img_1_1702842267063~2.jpg

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I actually think the Colby/Wonderboy fight makes sense, I'm good with it.

The only exception would be if Belal doesn't get the next title shot then I'd rather Colby/Belal.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I don't really care for a Leon/Belal fight from an excitement level but that should be next. Give Belal his shot already. He's on a nice streak and is already 35 so it's now or never for the guy.

Shavkat having to fight once more wouldn't be the worst thing considering he has yet to fight/beat anyone in the top 5. They just announced Burns vs. JDM so I guess that just leaves Usman as a potential top 5 match up considering there is zero chance Colby takes that fight.
I won't dispute that Shavkat might need at least one more win for a title shot, but not based on that arbitrary 'top 5' criteria. Rankings are flawed and they don't mean that much when it comes to assessing strength of wins. For example Covington has been rank squatting for ages and does not deserve to be top 5, Shavkat doesn't need to beat him to prove himself worthy, there are lower ranked fighters who would be better wins. You could argue Usman is still up there, but even then he's lost his last 3 fights. The best option would be fighting Belal in a title eliminator, but that's kind of unfair to Belal.

Not to mention if there's a lack of notable wins on his resume (which I disagree with, Magny/Neal/Thompson is a good win streak), it's largely because he's been avoided like the plague.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I actually think the Colby/Wonderboy fight makes sense, I'm good with it.

The only exception would be if Belal doesn't get the next title shot then I'd rather Colby/Belal.
If it's like a "these are both big names who are no longer in the title picture and aren't going to accept just any fight so we'll match them up against each other", it's fine.

It just becomes a problem if they use it as an excuse to put either in a title fight.

Reactions: m9, Avs_19 and CDJ

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I mean the win over RDA was very nice at the time and it's hard to say that Masvidal wasn't a signature win.

RDA is solid so sure.

Masvidal though? I disagree with that. He was 38 and coming off two straight losses. That was a grudge match but also a gimme fight that Colby was a pretty decent sized favourite in. It's actually a good comparable to what he's hoping for with the Wonderboy call out.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
RDA is solid so sure.

Masvidal though? I disagree with that. He was 38 and coming off two straight losses. That was a grudge match but also a gimme fight that Colby was a pretty decent sized favourite in. It's actually a good comparable to what he's hoping for with the Wonderboy call out.

It's signature in that it was a non-title PPV headliner. There's no doubt it was a big fight. Not really arguing the quality of it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I mean the win over RDA was very nice at the time and it's hard to say that Masvidal wasn't a signature win.
RDA was past his prime and is a lightweight. Masvidal was on a 2 fight losing streak, having just been viciously KO’d. He was retired a year later. He hugged them and pillow pawed them to death. In my eyes those are far from signature wins.

He has zero wins against talented welterweights in their prime and somehow managed 3 title shots. Biggest joke of a career in the sports history, especially when you factor in that he’s boring. He is the definition of Dana White Privilege

Pantoja beating Royval last night is 2x bigger of a signature win than anything Colby did his entire career, for instance. And that wasn’t even that impressive but at least it was A legitimate challenger in their prime. At the post fight press conference they floated the idea for Colby to actually do that one day and he pivoted to try and get a Wonderboy fight like anybody wants to watch him lay on top of Stephen for 15 minutes

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
RDA was past his prime and is a lightweight. Masvidal was on a 2 fight losing streak, having just been viciously KO’d. He was retired a year later.

He has zero wins against talented welterweights in their prime and somehow managed 3 title shots. Biggest joke of a career in the sports history, especially when you factor in that he’s boring. He is the definition of Dana White Privilege

Pantoja beating Royval last night is 2x bigger of a signature win than anything Colby did his entire career, for instance. A legitimate challenger in their prime. At the post fight press conference they floated the idea for Colby to actually do that one day and he pivoted to try and get a Wonderboy fight like anybody wants to watch him lay on top of Stephen for 15 minutes

Robbie Lawler was ranked #2 when RDA beat him and Colby beat RDA in his next fight. Don't agree with discrediting his win over RDA.

As for Royval - no. He's an exciting fighter who has routinely lost to the top of a very shallow division. Saying that Pantoja win over him is bigger than Colby over RDA is just dumb.

Not arguing that Colby deserved this shot or is as good as the opportunities he's been given. I'm sure every MMA fan would agree with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad