GDT: UFC 294: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski 2

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Adesanya & Volk are also both 34/35 year old guys. One of them has a lifetime's worth of combat sports and the other is in a division which is incredibly difficult to stick around when you get old as your speed declines.

We've probably seen the best from either guy - just a matter of if it's a hard decline or a soft decline over the next few years.
It's not exactly like Volk was relaxing on the beach before deciding to get involved with MMA either. Rugby's a rough sport. And as you mentioned previously, he looked great not even 4 months ago against one of the best FW in the world. This might be the beginning of the end or it might have just been difficult circumstances and he'll go out there and starch Topuria next. We don't know.

I think people are looking for clues that aren't there. Even if this is the end of Volk and Izzy, it is just the way things go in MMA.

The only thing that has been eyebrow raising for me has been Volk's comments.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Contender in exile: Chimaev can’t enter U.S. after UFC 294 to claim title

This is another interesting tidbit that was being spoken about on The Ringer MMA Show podcast a few days ago. Is Khamzat not able to fight in the United States? In that article his coach doesn't exactly say that but I don't think it's a huge leap to draw from his comments that Khamzat is having issues entering certain parts of the world. If that's the case does the UFC actually slow roll him? Wouldn't it be a disaster to have a UFC champion who can't fight in the US?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Contender in exile: Chimaev can’t enter U.S. after UFC 294 to claim title

This is another interesting tidbit that was being spoken about on The Ringer MMA Show podcast a few days ago. Is Khamzat not able to fight in the United States? In that article his coach doesn't exactly say that but I don't think it's a huge leap to draw from his comments that Khamzat is having issues entering certain parts of the world. If that's the case does the UFC actually slow roll him? Wouldn't it be a disaster to have a UFC champion who can't fight in the US?

Well if they wanted a title fight for that Saudi card in March they could do Strickland/Chimaev there and the timing works. But yeah, not ideal.

I think you have to slow down on that title shot. Just another reason Strickland/DDP makes sense.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Good question. There’s also an upcoming Saudi Arabia card in March

Especially since Chimaev is being penciled against Strickland which I’m against for my own reasons. I don’t think Strickland wants to fight in Australia again due to tax reasons either. Can Chimaev fight anywhere in the western hemisphere?

As for the Saudi card, there’s so much uncertainty regarding that region of the Earth right now that unless the US DoD and State Dept commit to security that I can see it being cancelled or moved else where.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Especially since Chimaev is being penciled against Strickland which I’m against for my own reasons. I don’t think Strickland wants to fight in Australia again due to tax reasons either. Can Chimaev fight anywhere in the western hemisphere?

As for the Saudi card, there’s so much uncertainty regarding that region of the Earth right now that unless the US DoD and State Dept commit to security that I can see it being cancelled or moved else where.
I think Saudi is relatively safe, no one tends to mess with them. But who knows how far that war could escalate.

Thinking outside the box they have done cards in China and Japan before. There was interest in doing a card in Africa when Izzy and Usman were champs but haven't heard anything about that lately.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I think Saudi is relatively safe, no one tends to mess with them. But who knows how far that war could escalate.

Thinking outside the box they have done cards in China and Japan before. There was interest in doing a card in Africa when Izzy and Usman were champs but haven't heard anything about that lately.

Not to get too political here, but if Iran becomes directly involved all bets are off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad