GDT: UFC 292: Sterling vs. O'Malley/PFL 8

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It just seems like something Tapology or something should already be doing. Like they already record what the odds were at the time. Why not what the fighters were ranked?

I don't know. You are talking about a site that has Volk as the 3rd best 145er behind Yair & Max, so I have no idea what they are doing over there. That site has always seemed like a complete mess.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't know. You are talking about a site that has Volk as the 3rd best 145er behind Yair & Max, so I have no idea what they are doing over there. That site has always seemed like a complete mess.
I think their rankings are based on user submitted rankings. So yeah, you'll get a lot of dummies.

But when it comes to objective facts, they are pretty good. I especially like using them for the aforementioned odds going into past fights and more importantly, they include fights that got cancelled and why in a fighter's record.

Also, hilariously, Volk is #1 in their P4P rankings :laugh:

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I completely forgot about that fight. Eye poke stoppage correct? As I recall I think Munoz was winning.

Funny how Munoz and Chito were both on this card as well.
Exactly, the scorecards were released, 2 judges had Munoz winning the first round and 1 had Sean. Yet the fight ended as an eye poke and the UFC just treated it as an O'Malley win and gave him #1 ranked Petr Yan in his next fight.

UFC loves Sean because I guess he sells, so they've done their best to put him in a lot more favourable positions than other fighters.

In my opinion, before the Petr Yan fight Sean's best wins were against Thomas Almeida who was on a 3 fight losing skid. And Raulian Paiva, whose only real wins aren't even in the UFC anymore. Yet for some reason everyone thought O'Malley was the man

No disrespect, he obviously got the job done once he was afforded the opportunity. I just don't think he should have been given the shot. All marketing, no earning it in the cage.

Reactions: I am not exposed

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think beating Petr Yan is enough to earn a shot. The overall SOS isn’t great but that win is enough imo

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I think beating Petr Yan is enough to earn a shot. The overall SOS isn’t great but that win is enough imo
I would agreed if he won it conclusively, but the fact is that the majority of MMA media and a significant amount of fans didn't think Sean won that fight. So that plus not ever really beating another ranked fighter, I personally don't think he earned either of his last two fights in the cage. I think he earned the fights in other ways (social media), but I don't think his body of work in the cage got him either of them.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Beating Yan - even by questionable split decision - is enough to earn the title shot.

The question is did he deserve a #1 contender's fight v Yan in the first place, and based on merit absolutely not

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Exactly, the scorecards were released, 2 judges had Munoz winning the first round and 1 had Sean. Yet the fight ended as an eye poke and the UFC just treated it as an O'Malley win and gave him #1 ranked Petr Yan in his next fight.

UFC loves Sean because I guess he sells, so they've done their best to put him in a lot more favourable positions than other fighters.

In my opinion, before the Petr Yan fight Sean's best wins were against Thomas Almeida who was on a 3 fight losing skid. And Raulian Paiva, whose only real wins aren't even in the UFC anymore. Yet for some reason everyone thought O'Malley was the man

No disrespect, he obviously got the job done once he was afforded the opportunity. I just don't think he should have been given the shot. All marketing, no earning it in the cage.
I don't think many people thought O'Malley was the man. At least not the people who followed him as a fight fan. Maybe on the influencer side they did, but fight fans thought he was going to get his ass kicked by Yan. Regardless of how you scored the fight, he certainly didn't get his ass kicked.

I agree the Yan fight was a massive opportunity that he didn't really deserve, but once he beat him, what else are you going to do but give him a title shot? And maybe more importantly, who else are you going to give the title shot to? These other guys had massive opportunities, too, but lost.

Sandhagen was given essentially 3 #1 contender fights and he lost them all (Sterling, TJ, and Yan which was for the interim belt).

Chito probably would have been given a title shot but then lost to Sandhagen.

Merab would have been given a shot, but wouldn't fight Sterling.

Yan lost to Sterling, O'Malley, and Merab.

TJ and Cejudo got their shots.

So he might have been gifted an opportunity, but he took advantage of it when the other contenders didn't.

Reactions: Taytro and m9

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I'm not sure what to make of Garry as fighter. On one hand he wrecked a tough veteran, but on the other hand he couldn't finish a guy who basically crippled for 2 rounds. And Magny always had zero defense for low kicks.

The Wonderboy callout was smart but weak. I'd rather Garry fight the winner of Holland-Maddalena but I have a feeling they'll give him someone to keep building his highlight reel. Probably the Brazilian Cowboy or someone like that.

I saw that The Chris wants to keep fighting. Obviously that's a bad idea, but he was at least still doing that trick of doubling up on his punches which was working well considering how compromised he was. But without the explosive wrestling I don't see him beating anyone decent.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm not sure what to make of Garry as fighter. On one hand he wrecked a tough veteran, but on the other hand he couldn't finish a guy who basically crippled for 2 rounds. And Magny always had zero defense for low kicks.

The Wonderboy callout was smart but weak. I'd rather Garry fight the winner of Holland-Maddalena but I have a feeling they'll give him someone to keep building his highlight reel. Probably the Brazilian Cowboy or someone like that.

I saw that The Chris wants to keep fighting. Obviously that's a bad idea, but he was at least still doing that trick of doubling up on his punches which was working well considering how compromised he was. But without the explosive wrestling I don't see him beating anyone decent.
Brazilian cowboy is gone iirc

FEED HIM TO SHAVKAT

Give Weidman one last fight at ufc 300 against somebody like Cody Brundage

Reactions: 16Skippy

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't think many people thought O'Malley was the man. At least not the people who followed him as a fight fan. Maybe on the influencer side they did, but fight fans thought he was going to get his ass kicked by Yan. Regardless of how you scored the fight, he certainly didn't get his ass kicked.

I agree the Yan fight was a massive opportunity that he didn't really deserve, but once he beat him, what else are you going to do but give him a title shot? And maybe more importantly, who else are you going to give the title shot to? These other guys had massive opportunities, too, but lost.

Sandhagen was given essentially 3 #1 contender fights and he lost them all (Sterling, TJ, and Yan which was for the interim belt).

Chito probably would have been given a title shot but then lost to Sandhagen.

Merab would have been given a shot, but wouldn't fight Sterling.

Yan lost to Sterling, O'Malley, and Merab.

TJ and Cejudo got their shots.

So he might have been gifted an opportunity, but he took advantage of it when the other contenders didn't.
I think we agree and you make a very fair point but the counter argument is all these guys have fought the top of the division for sometime. Some times they win, sometimes they lose. Sean hasn't. Before he fought Yan all of Sean's wins were against unranked guy's. He tried Chito, lost. Got fed easier guys then he tried Munoz, NC (was losing in judges scorecards). After a NC to Munoz he went from 0 wins against ranked opponents to a #1 contender fight?

And he arguably lost the #1 contender fight, even saying in his octagon interview that he thought it could have gone to Yan, and saying he didn't know if he wanted the title fight... I don't think not getting your ass kicked by Yan means you should fight for a title lol.

He clearly and cleanly beat Aljo, can't debate that. I don't mind it either because I don't think Aljo particularly like Aljo. But it's just frustrating as a fan seeing some guys in the UFC grind, never get their shot, then eventually fade out and then there's guys who jump the line with a pretty mediocre SoS/record. It's kind of the entertainment/business side vs the sport side.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think we agree and you make a very fair point but the counter argument is all these guys have fought the top of the division for sometime. Some times they win, sometimes they lose. Sean hasn't. Before he fought Yan all of Sean's wins were against unranked guy's. He tried Chito, lost. Got fed easier guys then he tried Munoz, NC (was losing in judges scorecards). After a NC to Munoz he went from 0 wins against ranked opponents to a #1 contender fight?

And he arguably lost the #1 contender fight, even saying in his octagon interview that he thought it could have gone to Yan, and saying he didn't know if he wanted the title fight... I don't think not getting your ass kicked by Yan means you should fight for a title lol.

He clearly and cleanly beat Aljo, can't debate that. I don't mind it either because I don't think Aljo particularly like Aljo. But it's just frustrating as a fan seeing some guys in the UFC grind, never get their shot, then eventually fade out and then there's guys who jump the line with a pretty mediocre SoS/record. It's kind of the entertainment/business side vs the sport side.
The fights against Chito and Munhoz were both inconclusive, but competitive. Losing a round doesn't mean you lost the fight and when they are reasonably close it's not enough to say who would have won and who would have lost. I mean, he lost the first round against Sterling, too.

It's not just that he didn't get his ass kicked by Yan. It was extremely close. Re-watching it last week, I think O'Malley edged him. It was close enough where you've got to accept the results either way it goes.

Sandhagen and Chito have more top 15 wins, but they don't have any wins in the top 5 (other than the fluke injury KO of Chito over O'Malley) and they both had their shots at it. When it's quantity vs. quality, I'd take quality every time.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
We're probably at the point where we can nit-pick title challengers in a ton of UFC fights and it's almost a waste of time?.

The last 3 title challengers at 135lbs have been:

-O"Malley, as discussed
-Cejudo getting a title shot after not fighting for 3 years
-Dillashaw after 1 win in 4 years - a split decision over Sandhagen that was extremely close (Yan/O'Malley level)

.. and that's at one of the deepest divisions in the UFC.

This year we've also had:

-Jamahal Hill getting a title shot despite not beating anyone good
-An interim title fight between Yair/Emmett for no reason
-Jon Jones fighting for a HW title fight despite never fighting in the division
-Aldana getting a title shot despite her last 3 fights being two catchweight fights and a loss

.and still to come we've got:

-Sean Strickland title shot
-Colby title shot
-Miocic title shot

So did O'Malley deserve this shot or a shot at Yan? Not really. But this is just how it is right now. He has as much of a case as like half the other title fights we see.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
him beating Yan already makes him a more valid title contender than Colby, who beat up on an old 155lber as his best win

As an aside, Cody Gibson did in fact get a contract so that’s cool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad