GDT: UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Never thought this would go to decision

NGannou blew his wad way to early. He was headhunting and going for kill shots non stop. Still think the guy has potential but he need to do like Overeem did , lose some muscular mass , work on his cardio and pace himself better.

There was also a big gap in experience and it showed.

USADA had everything to do with that for Overeem. Ngannou has a ton of work to do before he can catch up.

Cain is the only one in the division I can see beating Stipe assuming he comes back in the same form.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
It's like Ngannou forgot that there's such thing as a jab. He just threw wild hooks in the first and gassed himself.

Yep

He has the same issues that Overeem had

Hre seems to have a good chin though. He ate some solid shots from Miocic

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Yeah with the longest reach in the UFC, this dude needs to appreciate the importance of a jab.

Hre seems to have a good chin though. He ate some solid shots from Miocic
For now. Still early in his career. That chin is gonna wear out.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It's like Ngannou forgot that there's such thing as a jab. He just threw wild hooks in the first and gassed himself.

he'll learn from this just how much a jab can help him. as heavy as he naturally throws, he just needs to touch people. stipe is so damn underrated. he's just a complete fighter. he's not interesting and he's not trying to win you over, but he just goes out there and grinds them out. the ufc wanted this to be ngannou's coronation so bad it was silly.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Ngannou needs a legit team behind him, he's a freak of nature and despite the loss, I'm impressed that he survived all 5 rounds.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
USADA had everything to do with that for Overeem. Ngannou has a ton of work to do before he can catch up.

Cain is the only one in the division I can see beating Stipe assuming he comes back in the same form.

True but Francics does need to lose some mass if he want to improve his cardio. Dude is freakin huge. Carrying all that muscle mass around is hard on the gas tank.

USADA or not Overeem improved his cardio by quite a bit when went from being Ubereem to a leaner version of himself.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Im new to following ufc, over the past six months. So, for those Who are more seasoned, can cain beat stipe?

Cain is the best wrestler in the HW division, if he's healthy, he'll likely wrestle Stipe to a win. But in MMA, it's anyone's game, and it won't surprise me if Stipe wins.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I thought his back was all jacked up or something. That for sure is the fight if he's ready....but is he?

DC legit might the guy with the best shot since Stipe is a smaller heavyweight.

Cormier can probably do it. Dude used to fight at HW and he ragdolled accomplished wrestlers like Josh Barnett around.

Cain probably cantoo but it will all depends on how he come back. Look like he may be damaged goods at this point and he's not getting younger

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
True but Francics does need to lose some mass if he want to improve his cardio. Dude is freakin huge. Carrying all that muscle mass around is hard on the gas tank.

USADA or not Overeem improved his cardio by quite a bit when went from being Ubereem to a leaner version of himself.

He with out a doubt needs to improve his cardio but he'd be better served in improving his technique in getting back up after he gets taken down+ not coming out swinging for the fences. That will come with experience.

Hes never going to be a cardio king though. Doesn't have the body for it as hes just a massive dude.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Some fun KOs on both cards earlier on.

I found the last two Bellator fights just dreadful to watch. Rory went into poor man's GSP mode and its hard to watch. Surprised Sonnen got the win, but nice effort. I liked Goldberg over there as well, but I thought McCarthy was out of place.

Really liked the first round of Oezdemir/Cormier. Lots of fun back and forth. Figured it would go a bit like Rumble/DC, and you got a similar result.

Very impressive fight from Miocic. This was his way to win and he got it done. Ngannou will be back, but the better all-around fighter won tonight.

As for Miocic/Cain, the big difference is the boxing and head movement. Miocic can slip punches and use range, Cain gets clipped consistently. I don't like a rusty Cain at all in that fight if it stays on the feet.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Miocic has good defensive head movement but offensively, he bull rushes with straight punches with this chin out. It would have only required a jab from Francis to put him away at that point.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The kids really learned a harsh lesson tonight. You need to be more than a hard-hitting freak to be a champion. Don't get me wrong I was fearing for Stipe's life in the 1st round with an absolute animal like Ngannou flailing sledgehammers at him, but if you survive his initial onslaught, he's incredibly sub-par. Wrestling and cardio may not be sexy strengths to have but they are oh-so-necessary.

A healthy Cain would easily beat Ngannou too. Guy's got a ton of work to do. It was amazing seeing him KO a glass-chinned Overeem but it gave him insane hype he just couldn't live up to.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Perfect game plan and execution by Miocic. It was mostly a terrible fight to watch after the first round but he still deserves props for his weathering the early storm and then taking control. He's in the greatest HW of all time conversation. Hopefully Cain is healthy so we get to see that fight soon.

The Ngannou hype train, which I was completely on board, comes to a stop. I think he'll bounce back and be in this position again but that was an ugly performance. He punched himself out and was done in the 1st round. Stipe took a few hard shots but Ngannou also threw a lot of wild and sloppy punches. The ground game obviously needs a lot of work as well. Rogan and Cruz kept pointing out him just laying there and everything he was doing wrong but some of that was probably due to exhaustion too. Either way, he has quite a bit to work on.

DC looked great and put on a nearly flawless performance. I don't get the hate for him so I was glad to hear them chanting his name and cheering him after the fight. Volkan is a good fighter but he's not on that level yet.

Big win for Font earlier in the card over Almeida. That Alhassan KO was nice too.

They put Bellator on one of the TVs so I was able to catch most of the main fights. Rampage/Sonnen was terrible, as expected.

Rory got some decent ground and pound in but that fight wasn't good either. Pretty much every round was one guy in control and not doing a whole lot with it. I'm sure Rory's leg injury played a role in the later rounds though. He's one of my favourites so I'm happy he got the win.

That was a nasty liver shot by Pico. It's hard to say just how good he is because of the competition but he clearly has a ton of potential and could be a star. They should keep building him up slowly.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Stipe showed why he's the champ. I don't see the Ngannou hype going away completely. He losses another fight, then yeah. Give him Werdum next. If Cain is healthy, may as well throw him in with Stipe, no one else is worthy of a title shot right now.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Francis bought into his own hype. The swagger, the flashy clothes, hair, thinking Stipe's intimidated, etc. You could tell he thought he would blast him in the first and fulfill his destiny, but when he threw everything but the kitchen sink, and Stipe was still there 3(!!) minutes into the 1st, you could see him start to wilt already. Francis has got a chin on him though wow, I rewatched that first round and near the end, Stipe straight cold clocked him clean with a punch that would've slept most and he ate it. Veteran, blue collar performance by Stipe, the Heavyweight GOAT.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I've seen a lot of hype train derailed commentary but IMO the problem was simply that Ngannou was too hyped up and used his energy incredibly inefficiently. That's an easy fix. Props to Miocic for weathering the storm, but I don't view this as Stipe being more well-rounded being the factor as much as Ngannou simply blowing his wad.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I've seen a lot of hype train derailed commentary but IMO the problem was simply that Ngannou was too hyped up and used his energy incredibly inefficiently. That's an easy fix. Props to Miocic for weathering the storm, but I don't view this as Stipe being more well-rounded being the factor as much as Ngannou simply blowing his wad.

It had everything to do with Stipe being the better all around fighter, part of that is having fight IQ. He couldn't catch Stipe throwing every single thing at him, and Stipe was hitting perfect level changes with ease, even though he was tired, Francis had zero answer to the wrestling, he was lost. Stipe 100% is the better all around fighter. That's like saying "it has more to do with Almeida leaving his chin out to get hit more than Font knocking him out".

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
It had everything to do with Stipe being the better all around fighter, part of that is having fight IQ. He couldn't catch Stipe throwing every single thing at him, and Stipe was hitting perfect level changes with ease, even though he was tired, Francis had zero answer to the wrestling, he was lost. Stipe 100% is the better all around fighter. That's like saying "it has more to do with Almeida leaving his chin out to get hit more than Font knocking him out".
I strongly disagree with this but we can agree to disagree. Miocic didn't come out and do anything to cause Ngannou to tire, if that was the case then sure. Ngannou just came out guns blazing and tired himself. To your point, sure, that's fight IQ, but Stipe was not better when both were 100%. Stipe was better once Ngannou was tired. I'm not even disagreeing that Stipe is more well-rounded, but Ngannou's strengths tip the scale in his favor IMO. They fight again I expect more patience and a first/second round finish.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Crazy how 205 went from arguably the most interesting division five years ago to just a complete wasteland. DC-Miocic would be an extremely interesting fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad