GDT: UFC 209: Woodley vs. Thompson 2

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
quite possibly the worst main event I have ever seen\ absolute garbage

Also once Kahbib pulled out Hunt VS Overreem should have been co main event, not show opener that is kind of disrespectful

those guys deserve a better spot than curtain jerker

Frank Mir vs Mirko Cro Cop perhaps. I think that was 119. That's just off the top of my head. There might have been a worse PPV main event in that time frame.

Woodley came out of this fight healthy. I have no idea why Maia has to fight at 211. You could ****ing do Maia/Woodley in no time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Well, at least there were a couple of good fights on the main card and the prelims were good.

That was an awful main event. I'm all for tactical fights but Rogan was out there lying through his teeth trying to sell that as a great fight. Woodley and Wonderboy are two great fighters who both put on poor performances. I had it 48-47 for Wonderboy but it was very close.

What do they do at WW now? Have Woodley fight the Maia/Masvidal winner? I don't know why they didn't just wait with Maia and give him the next shot. The biggest fight out there for Woodley right now based on who is available is probably against Nick Diaz. Giving Diaz a title shot would be kinda ridiculous but it wouldn't surprise me.

Pretty good co-main event. I didn't know much about Teymur coming in but that was a good performance.

Rashad/Kelly wasn't very entertaining.

Nice submission and work on the ground by Calvillo.

Those were some nasty knees from Overeem. Hunt is one of the most durable fighters out there and Overeem made him drop right on his face. It's even more impressive since he was apparently sick with food poisoning. Give me Overeem vs. Lewis next.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Well, at least there were a couple of good fights on the main card and the prelims were good.

That was an awful main event. I'm all for tactical fights but Rogan was out there lying through his teeth trying to sell that as a great fight. Woodley and Wonderboy are two great fighters who both put on poor performances. I had it 48-47 for Wonderboy but it was very close.

What do they do at WW now? Have Woodley fight the Maia/Masvidal winner? I don't know why they didn't just wait with Maia and give him the next shot. The biggest fight out there for Woodley right now based on who is available is probably against Nick Diaz. Giving Diaz a title shot would be kinda ridiculous but it wouldn't surprise me.

Pretty good co-main event. I didn't know much about Teymur coming in but that was a good performance.

Rashad/Kelly wasn't very entertaining.

Nice submission and work on the ground by Calvillo.

Those were some nasty knees from Overeem. Hunt is one of the most durable fighters out there and Overeem made him drop right on his face. It's even more impressive since he was apparently sick with food poisoning. Give me Overeem vs. Lewis next.

Nick Diaz's last five wins are BJ Penn, Paul Daley, Cyborg Santos, KJ Noons and Hayato Sakurai. He hasn't won in over four years. Not sure you can call any of those guys top ten guys at the time besides Paul Daley. Nick Diaz's rumoured title shot offer for 209 is ridiculous.

Nick Diaz should be rematching Robbie Lawler, fighting Cowboy Cerrone or even scrapping with Jorge Masvidal.

Overeem should throttle Lewis.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I hate the MMA judging philosophy that the challenger has to do something super meaningful in order to win a fight. You either win a fight or you don't. History shouldn't matter. Who won their last fight shouldn't matter. There's nothing magical about it. With that said, those first 2 rounds were 10-9 Wonderboy all day. It was potentially the most boring fight I have ever seen through 2. If that's not a title fight maybe you give an official warning about refusal to engage, which is something that I don't think we see enough. You can't let two guys feint at each other and circle out for 10 full minutes of a fight. 6 significant strikes, using that term loosely, through two rounds? That isn't a fight. The advent of all these guys that don't know how to fight moving forward is just embarrassing to the sport. There's nothing worse from a matchup perspective than two counterstrikers waiting each other out. I don't think anyone wants to see that fight a third time.

Rewatching again, 1,2, and 4 to Wonderboy on aggression alone. The 5th wasn't 10-8 by my definition. 3rd and 5th were clear 10-9 for Woodley. I can't see it any other way unless some dummy wants to call the 1st and 2nd 10-10 for lack of aggression by both parties or gave Woodley a 10-8 for buckling Thompson in the final round.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nick Diaz's last five wins are BJ Penn, Paul Daley, Cyborg Santos, KJ Noons and Hayato Sakurai. He hasn't won in over four years. Not sure you can call any of those guys top ten guys at the time besides Paul Daley. Nick Diaz's rumoured title shot offer for 209 is ridiculous.

Nick Diaz should be rematching Robbie Lawler, fighting Cowboy Cerrone or even scrapping with Jorge Masvidal.

Overeem should throttle Lewis.

That's the fight to make. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like Nick has any interest in it.

I hate the MMA judging philosophy that the challenger has to do something super meaningful in order to win a fight. You either win a fight or you don't. History shouldn't matter. Who won their last fight shouldn't matter. There's nothing magical about it. With that said, those first 2 rounds were 10-9 Wonderboy all day. It was potentially the most boring fight I have ever seen through 2. If that's not a title fight maybe you give an official warning about refusal to engage, which is something that I don't think we see enough. You can't let two guys feint at each other and circle out for 10 full minutes of a fight. 6 significant strikes, using that term loosely, through two rounds? That isn't a fight. The advent of all these guys that don't know how to fight moving forward is just embarrassing to the sport. There's nothing worse from a matchup perspective than two counterstrikers waiting each other out. I don't think anyone wants to see that fight a third time.

Rewatching again, 1,2, and 4 to Wonderboy on aggression alone. The 5th wasn't 10-8 by my definition. 3rd and 5th were clear 10-9 for Woodley. I can't see it any other way unless some dummy wants to call the 1st and 2nd 10-10 for lack of aggression by both parties or gave Woodley a 10-8 for buckling Thompson in the final round.

I had it the same as you. 1, 2, and 4 for Wonderboy and 3 and 5 for Woodley. I don't think anyone who argues the first two rounds should be 10-10 is a dummy though. Nothing happened in those rounds. Wonderboy outstruck Woodley 6-5 in the 1st round and it was 8-8 in the 2nd round. I also gave them to Wonderboy because it looked like he was trying to do more but again, nothing really happened. Wonderboy controlled the octagon but wasn't really engaging even when Woodley just stood there with his back against the fence.

I don't really care though. It's time to move onto something fresh for both guys.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Wonderboy vs Nick Diaz seems like a good match to make

If Diaz wins, you can give him a title shot

As for Wonderboy, he's not likely to get another shot at the title while Woodley is holding the belt, so Diaz would give him a winnable fight against a big name fighter

Just imagine what a press conference leading up to the fight would look like with these two:

Diaz talking inarticulate smack. Wonderboy responds with "I'll pray for you"

Who wouldn't tune in for that?

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

As for Wonderboy, he's not likely to get another shot at the title while Woodley is holding the belt, so Diaz would give him a winnable fight against a big name fighter

Just imagine what a press conference leading up to the fight would look like with these two:

Probably Diaz himself :laugh:

Honestly, Wonderboy needs to rebuild his image a bit after his 3 lackluster performances. Not sure he's in a position for a money fight with Diaz. Put him in fun fight like Donald Cerrone.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
With some guys, the stakes get too high and they crumble under them. I think the reason that fight was so boring is because Woodley and Thompson both want to avoid losing more than they want to pursue winning. Last night wasn't some articulate chess match. It was two guys who got lockjaw in a championship fight. Only the desperation of that potential to lose coming to fruition motivated Woodley to fight like he needed to in the last minute of the fight. The first person willing to take some risks against this version of Woodley is going to take him out.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Frank Mir vs Mirko Cro Cop perhaps. I think that was 119. That's just off the top of my head. There might have been a worse PPV main event in that time frame.

Woodley came out of this fight healthy. I have no idea why Maia has to fight at 211. You could ****ing do Maia/Woodley in no time.

thought that was 117, ok so maybe it's #2 worst all time main event, either way it is not good

on swcond thought no this was worse because at least Mi vs cro cop had a finish from what I remember

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sometimes fighters prefer to stay where they are scheduled as they already have their routine set. Being vets, I'm sure the UFC gave Hunt/Overeem the option of being bumped up but it wouldn't surprise me if they declined.

As for worst main event ever, at least Mir/Crocop had a finish and wasn't 5 rounds.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
A draw and an incredibly unimpressive victory in the two title defenses from the self proclaimed "greatest welterweight of all time".

Quite the legacy.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Yeah ufc 9 or 10 I think. They still did though but not as much. Got ufc fight pass a while ago and started watching every a lot of the old ppvs

Yep - I remember watching that and thinking, "god, what is going on." I went on to read about it, and, lo and behold, nobody was allowed to punch. Ridiculous.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Also once Kahbib pulled out Hunt VS Overreem should have been co main event, not show opener that is kind of disrespectful

those guys deserve a better spot than curtain jerker

My first thought was that this has to be Dana's way of sticking it to Hunt for his lawsuit by not giving him the co-main slot and potentially a take of PPV buys. But then I read today that both Overreem and Hunt raked in $750K for this fight.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Onus is on Wonderboy to push the pace and leave no doubt in the judges' minds since he's the challenger. Ultimately neither guy did a thing til the 5th, and given that was by far the most impactful moment of the fight, that should carry the most weight. Was it a traditional 10-8? Of course not. But should it carry more weight than the first two razor close 10-9s? IMO it should.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

Doubt it would happen. But I'd be down, if only to see Woodley cry.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Onus is on Wonderboy to push the pace and leave no doubt in the judges' minds since he's the challenger. Ultimately neither guy did a thing til the 5th, and given that was by far the most impactful moment of the fight, that should carry the most weight. Was it a traditional 10-8? Of course not. But should it carry more weight than the first two razor close 10-9s? IMO it should.

I don't understand that logic? Why challenger should do something special, if champion doesn't wanna fight? Wonderboy pushed the pace, trying to make it a fight, but Woodley didn't wanna do that. Woodley backed up 4 rounds, without any interest to make it a match. After that he landed one lucky shot in the last round and that was enough for the win. Anyway without that shot, he would probably still won, if judges saw Woodley as a 2nd round winner, then it's for sure same think with 5 round even if drop punch wouldn't exist.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I don't understand that logic? Why challenger should do something special, if champion doesn't wanna fight? Wonderboy pushed the pace, trying to make it a fight, but Woodley didn't wanna do that. Woodley backed up 4 rounds, without any interest to make it a match. After that he landed one lucky shot in the last round and that was enough for the win. Anyway without that shot, he would probably still won, if judges saw Woodley as a 2nd round winner, then it's for sure same think with 5 round even if drop punch wouldn't exist.

Wonderboy did neither. Wonderboy knew Woodley fights the same way: Back up to the fence and counter. So his solution for the rematch was to throw very little strikes and give Woodley little to feed on.

Wonderboy was just as bad as Woodley for not trying to fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad