GDT: UFC 209: Woodley vs. Thompson 2

Blainer114*

Maverick
Jun 8, 2016
Toronto
Love GSP, but GSP is anything but a killer. Hell, i'd say Woodley is a bad match up for GSP with that (takedown defense + being the best pure Athlete in the UFC) and counter-punching game

Ok GSP woudnt necessarily kill him but hed come out with an unanimous decision if woodley is gonna back away the entire fight

Blainer114*

Maverick
Jun 8, 2016
Toronto
I think they should make championship fights 3 rounds, it would put some onus on action and we wouldn't have these feeling out first and second rounds.

Nah i like five min rounds for every main event / title fight, if title fights do end up in a draw I'd like to see an additional 5 min rd added to break it

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Woodley/Wonderboy reminds me a tad of Benson/Edgar. The fights are close, but there’s clearly not a dominant champion there. While it could make sense to do rematches, it’s time to just move on. Nobody really wants to watch continued rematches. Welterweight is full of really good, not great, which is a damn shame. Jorge Masvidal has recent losses to Larkin and Benson, both guys seem to have moved on. Even so, he hasn’t really moved on and is just as tentative for the most part. Robbie Lawler didn’t look outstanding as a dominant champion with some questionable decisions (Hendricks II, Condit). Demian Maia is there, somewhere, getting overlooked.

UFC REALLY ****ed up by letting Rory MacDonald go. I think GSP could go down, and reclaim his throne quickly. Rory kept his distance and schooled T-Wood. Georges could do the same exact thing. His jab is lethal. Instead you have this ******** GSP/Bisping match-up after that ridiculous Hendo match-up. Jacare Souza and Yoel Romero deserve shots and not too far off you could have had Whitakker and Rockhold.

Rashad Evans is so skilled but just can't pull the trigger. I know his striking was overrated based on some flashy kicks, and the Liddell knockout, but he should have trucked Dan Kelly. He honestly didn't even look huge. No idea how Romero makes the ****ing cut.

Loving Overeem. If he wouldn't have went for the submission I think he pounds out Stipe. He's knocked out Junior dos Santos, Mark Hunt, and Andrei Arlovski in the last year or so. Junior fighting for the belt shows the lack of depth. He looked bigger. Mark Hunt could be cut due to the lawsuit..

Card was ****ed after Khabib pulled out, and UFC 210 basically looks like 206. Won't sell too well. I don't find Rumble (domestic cases) and Cormier (smug) likeable at all.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Woodley took no damage and hopefully Maia can choke out Masvidal in 30 seconds or less so that they can book that fight quickly for June or something.

3 men crew just don't make sense, IMO.

a) they need a better play by play announcer
b) having two color commentators can work but not if one guy is greatly superior in knowledge

I don't like Woodley/Maia. Think Woodley keeps it on the feet and just kind of grinds. Maia really needs to find some weapons on the feet.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I don't like Woodley/Maia. Think Woodley keeps it on the feet and just kind of grinds. Maia really needs to find some weapons on the feet.
I just feel bad for Maia. The guy deserves the fight. I am not a fan of the matchup at all myself.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I just feel bad for Maia. The guy deserves the fight. I am not a fan of the matchup at all myself.

Jorge Masvidal isn't some super strong wrestler. Maia is bigger and has taken down some pretty great guys. Masvidal likes to scramble, be too aggressive or too passive. Style wise, Maia should be able to grappler him to a dominant decision and get that title shot.

The UFC's PPVs have definitely tanked thus far to start 2017. 208-210 should all blow. Doubt 211 with Stipe/JDS kills it . 212 has Aldo/Max. Luckily in the summer you should have Conor McGregor, Georges St. Pierre in July and Jon Jones in August. Cyborg should be an instant draw when she returns, Amanda Nunes may get some buys.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
What did Dana White say to Thompson when he walked into the octagon with the belt? I couldn't hear it at the house I was at. Too many people were talking.

I won $30 betting on Woodley, but I have no idea how. Did one of the judges score a round 10-10? Or give him 10-8 in the 5th? He very decisively one 2 rounds, but the other three were either 10-10 or 10-9 Wonderboy, given his octagon control. I'm glad Woodley won, as he did more damage and overall should have won if judging the entire fight as a single piece, but given the scoring system, I have no idea how it was scored for him.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
What did Dana White say to Thompson when he walked into the octagon with the belt? I couldn't hear it at the house I was at. Too many people were talking.

I won $30 betting on Woodley, but I have no idea how. Did one of the judges score a round 10-10? Or give him 10-8 in the 5th? He very decisively one 2 rounds, but the other three were either 10-10 or 10-9 Wonderboy, given his octagon control. I'm glad Woodley won, as he did more damage and overall should have won if judging the entire fight as a single piece, but given the scoring system, I have no idea how it was scored for him.

5 MMA media outlets scored it for Woodley.
8 for a draw
6 for Thompson

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I was going for Thompson but I thought Woodley won. If you want to take the belt from the champ you'd better do something. Honus was on Thompson and he didn't do ****.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I was going for Thompson but I thought Woodley won. If you want to take the belt from the champ you'd better do something. Honus was on Thompson and he didn't do ****.

I definitely agree in concept, and usually that's the way things shake out, but which 3 rounds do you give to Woodley in order to make that happen? Puzzling.

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
What the hell was that decision? To me Wonderboy clearly won 3 rounds due to octogon control. I have a hard time understanding how Woodley won one of these rounds by doing nothing and having his back on the cage.

Anyways it probably was the most boring main event since MacDonald VS Wonderboy so who cares.

Last edited:

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I definitely agree in concept, and usually that's the way things shake out, but which 3 rounds do you give to Woodley in order to make that happen? Puzzling.
I thought the first few rounds were so uneventful that you have to give them to the champ, but very well could've missed something. Round 4 (I think?) was clearly Woodley.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
What the hell was that decision? To me Wonderboy clearly won 3 rounds due to octogon control. I have a hard time understanding how Woodley won one of these rounds by doing nothing and having his back on the cage.

Anyways it probably was the most boring main event since MacDonald VS Wonderboy so who cares.

Wasn't the last PPV, just a couple of weeks ago, ****ing terrible? UFC 208 was terrible, man. UFC 210 on paper too is garbage beyond a couple of fights. It's certainly missing a main card fight or two.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I thought the first few rounds were so uneventful that you have to give them to the champ, but very well could've missed something. Round 4 (I think?) was clearly Woodley.

Have you heard about octagon-control? That was the biggest reason why Thompson won every round clearly. He was more active fighter 90% of fight and i have no idea how these judges can't see it. Seriously thinking about move to the Bellator, maybe there doesn't come at least one robbery at every event. No idea to use more money to ******** like this if they can't even find right man when situation is this clear.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Have you heard about octagon-control? That was the biggest reason why Thompson won every round clearly. He was more active fighter 90% of fight and i have no idea how these judges can't see it. Seriously thinking about move to the Bellator, maybe there doesn't come at least one robbery at every event. No idea to use more money to ******** like this if they can't even find right man when situation is this clear.
You don't win a round by having control and doing nothing with it when you're the challenger.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
You don't win a round by having control and doing nothing with it when you're the challenger.

He did lots of thinks better than Woodley used many jabs and kicks to the body didn't do much damage but still landed. Used far more techniques than Woodley who only looked for that overhand right whole fight without result. Anyway it works both ways. Champion should also defend his belt and be active. Woodley didn't do that.

As i look at the scorecards knockdown in the last round wasn't even factor for his win. Woodley would be winner also without the knockdown in last round. That makes it even more ridiculous.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
He did lots of thinks better than Woodley used many jabs and kicks to the body didn't do much damage but still landed. Used far more techniques than Woodley who only looked for that overhand right whole fight without result. Anyway it works both ways. Champion should also defend his belt and be active. Woodley didn't do that.

As i look at the scorecards knockdown in the last round wasn't even factor for his win. Woodley would be winner also without the knockdown in last round. That makes it even more ridiculous.
Didn't see it that way. Thompson didn't use his biggest strength, his kicks. He didn't win and the judges saw it the same way I did. I sure as hell don't want to see these guys fight again.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Didn't see it that way. Thompson didn't use his biggest strength, his kicks. He didn't win and the judges saw it the same way I did. I sure as hell don't want to see these guys fight again.

Almost whole internet disagrees with you but everyone have their options. He landed many kicks and used them much better than their first fight. Thompson is counter striker so his style is what it is.

As much as i hate Conor i love to see him getting that Belt away from Tyron. But i don't really know can he do that. It's night night right away if Woodley lands one big right.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
I had it 50-48 Woodley. Good luck to Tyrone getting that big promo push with this ****** performance but he was the only fighter to win a round there.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
quite possibly the worst main event I have ever seen\ absolute garbage

Also once Kahbib pulled out Hunt VS Overreem should have been co main event, not show opener that is kind of disrespectful

those guys deserve a better spot than curtain jerker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad