UFC 205: Conor Takes Manhattan (Nov. 12)

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Odd coming from a guy with a Fedor avatar. Khabib said it to Rogan. Dagestan is almost as big as Ireland. Russia is 25x Ireland. The UFC wants to go to Russia, and Khabib beating the **** out of Conor for the belt is how you crush UFC 129 and sell out Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow.
Conor is insanely popular everywhere, not just in Ireland. People who never watch MMA know who he is.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Odd coming from a guy with a Fedor avatar. Khabib said it to Rogan. Dagestan is almost as big as Ireland. Russia is 25x Ireland. The UFC wants to go to Russia, and Khabib beating the **** out of Conor for the belt is how you crush UFC 129 and sell out Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow.

LOL. But Conor is the cash cow of the UFC by a country mile. They'll cherry pick matchups that have max return and minimum risk for the next 2 years. Guys on that list include (in no particular order) GSP, Diaz x3, Woodley, Aldo x2, Nick Diaz @ 170.

An opponent like Khabib is all risk and no reward. He has no name power and hasn't been active enough to get the public's attention. If he wins two more big big fights in the next 8 months, then we're talking. His wins over RDA & Mike Johnson are very impressive, but I think he needs to beat a couple guys from the group of Ferguson/Alvarez/Diaz(who probably wouldn't risk it)/Melendez/a top-10 170 lbs guy/etc to make enough noise to get that shot.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
They'll cherry pick matchups that have max return and minimum risk for the next 2 years. An opponent like Khabib is all risk and no reward.
Agreed. I'm not on Team Conner, don't care about any of this hype, just think Khabib is the best guy at 155.
Guys on that list include (in no particular order) GSP, Diaz x3, Woodley, Aldo x2, Nick Diaz @ 170.
:amazed:

GSP is max, max, max, max reward but seriously? GSP is as good a wrestler as Khabib, if he's anything close to what he was before he went away, he runs over McGregor. And Tyron Woodley knocks Connor's head off his shoulders. Connor's left straight has nothing for Woodley. Aldo rematch is a challenge. And Nick might be, who knows, it's Nick.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
For what it's worth, Woodley and Conor are both 5'9 with a 74 inch reach

GSP is 5'10 with a 76 inch reach

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Agreed. I'm not on Team Conner, don't care about any of this hype, just think Khabib is the best guy at 155.:amazed:

GSP is max, max, max, max reward but seriously? GSP is as good a wrestler as Khabib, if he's anything close to what he was before he went away, he runs over McGregor. And Tyron Woodley knocks Connor's head off his shoulders. Connor's left straight has nothing for Woodley. Aldo rematch is a challenge. And Nick might be, who knows, it's Nick.

What I mean when I say "risk vs reward" is the risk of damaging his drawing power if he loses. Not risk of him losing. If he gets dominated by Khabib @ 155, his stock plummets. But if he loses to one of the GOATs in GSP at 170, you can chalk up the loss to him being super ballsy for taking the fight in the first place (kinda like how Penn's loss against Machida was viewed by most). Same goes for Woodley or Nick Diaz.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I'm not the biggest Khabib fan, but if i'm McGregor, i stay far away from Khabib. For as bad his striking is, his grappling game might be 2nd only to Damian Maia in the entire roster. McGregor has much better shot beating GSP, who may i remind you all is old, retired, and very likely declining athletically

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
GSP is a lot bigger than McGregor. I mean, he had a hard enough time making 170 when he was active. I can't imagine it'd be any easier since IIRC he was bulking up after his 'retirement' to take a run at the olympic wrestling team. Or something.

Anyway, I think that'd be a silly fight for CMac but whatever. I think he can make an exciting fight with a lot of people moving forward. Win or lose.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
giphy-downsized-large-213554.gif

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
LOL. But Conor is the cash cow of the UFC by a country mile. They'll cherry pick matchups that have max return and minimum risk for the next 2 years. Guys on that list include (in no particular order) GSP, Diaz x3, Woodley, Aldo x2, Nick Diaz @ 170.

An opponent like Khabib is all risk and no reward. He has no name power and hasn't been active enough to get the public's attention. If he wins two more big big fights in the next 8 months, then we're talking. His wins over RDA & Mike Johnson are very impressive, but I think he needs to beat a couple guys from the group of Ferguson/Alvarez/Diaz(who probably wouldn't risk it)/Melendez/a top-10 170 lbs guy/etc to make enough noise to get that shot.

The only reason I disagree with this is that CMG is flying a little too close to the sun right now in respect to his role with the UFC. He's getting more aggressive with his demands despite the special treatment he has been given by the matchmaking team. Khabib is marketable, he's just green. He's a funny dude, he's not afraid to talk trash, and he's undefeated. The Russian that Wrestles Bears trope behind him will only serve to elevate that hype. If CMG takes out Khabib, his marketability goes to even more insane heights because of how a lot of MMA pundits think it's a bad matchup for him stylistically. The holdovers will have to give proper respect. If Khabib wins, you've got a built in new draw as the baddest man on the planet. The undefeated monster who took down the guy holding two belts. CMG wants an immediate rematch and will most certainly get it. The 2nd fight is even bigger than the 1st. The relative obscurity around Khabib might even add an element for casual fans.

The thing about the health of the UFC is that there always has to be a next man up. I remember GSP years back having this level of invincibility, Anderson Silva, then Jon Jones, then Ronda and CMG simultaneously, now CMG stands alone. The returns of Jon Jones and Ronda to the octagon will be big storylines on their own, but we need more. Having Khabib lose a fight that wasn't to CMG right now would be unfortunate considering the level of interest around him. If you have your ear to the ground you can hear the interest buzz for Khabib and CMG starting to boil. Part of CMG's role with the UFC is to help elevate other fighters to marquee names with the typhoon of interest his fights create. You can't market a Diaz brother. You can't market Eddie Alvarez. These guys just aren't interesting. And unfortunately, entertainment is a part of this evolving game. Performance isn't the only consideration anymore.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I hate the idea of a Ferguson vs Khabib fight at this point

Both are deserving of a title shot, so I'd rather not eliminate one from consideration with a loss

If I'm the UFC, here's what I do:

McGregor vs Ferguson and hope McGregors retains the belt

Build up Khabib with a fight against Nate Diaz and have it on the same card as McGregor vs Ferguson

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Build up Khabib with another fight ...
Stoooooop.

Give the UFC marketing team two months. Do a countdown show. Bring the cameras to Makhachkala and show us some sambo tournaments. Explain to Americans what it means when wikipedia says "International Master of Sports in Sambo" and "International Master of Sports in Pankration." Let the guy talk. Show us the replays of him beating the **** out of RDA and Johnson and Tibau and Trujillo. Nobody knew who Chael Sonnen was in January 2010. Then the UFC put a microphone in front of him, and we couldn't wait to see him fight Anderson. Khabib is the best in the division and he deserves a shot full-stop ... if people don't know who he is, tell them.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Stoooooop.

Give the UFC marketing team two months. Do a countdown show. Bring the cameras to Makhachkala and show us some sambo tournaments. Explain to Americans what it means when wikipedia says "International Master of Sports in Sambo" and "International Master of Sports in Pankration." Let the guy talk. Show us the replays of him beating the **** out of RDA and Johnson and Tibau and Trujillo. Nobody knew who Chael Sonnen was in January 2010. Then the UFC put a microphone in front of him, and we couldn't wait to see him fight Anderson. Khabib is the best in the division and he deserves a shot full-stop ... if people don't know who he is, tell them.

I didn't say "Build up Khabib with another fight"

I said "Build up Khabib with a fight against Nate Diaz"

Casual fans aren't tuning in to watch all those things that you listed, but they'll tune in to watch McGregor fight Ferguson, which is why I proposed Khabib vs Nate Diaz on the same card

If Conor and Diaz both win, they can do McGregor vs Diaz III for the belt

If both Conor and Diaz lose, you can still set up Conor vs Diaz III with the winner getting the winner of Khabib vs Ferguson

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad