UFC 205: Conor Takes Manhattan (Nov. 12)

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Did you forget what weight that was at? Must have..

As for what eventually would have happened -- silly to even comment like that, the same could be said for EVERY single fight.

You mean how he just fought a guy that fights in the same division as Alvarez? He fought a LW at WW. Your argument is invalid. But I guess you believe Conor when he fought a man three times his size.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Nate doesn't have one shot KO power and the chances of him keeping it on the feet against Khabib are literally zero. Anything can obviously happen in a fight but Nate's chances in that one would be extremely slim.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Nate doesn't have one shot KO power and the chances of him keeping it on the feet against Khabib are literally zero. Anything can obviously happen in a fight but Nate's chances in that one would be extremely slim.

Nate is also fantastic off his back so the fight going to the ground is not a necessary death sentence.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Khabib is probably one of the worst possible match-ups for Nate. Saying that as a massive Diaz brothers fan. It's not unwinnable obviously, as in any fight, but I think Khabib wins that fight 9 times out of 10. Maybe 99 times out of 100.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Only way I say Nate beating Khabib is by submission, but that's certainly a possible outcome. Not overly probable but very possible.

I thought Nate would be Conor's easiest & best option for his first fight at 155, when the RDA fight first fell apart. Turns out Nate won that fight.

Never count out a Diaz. They both have shortcomings in their game, and winning on points against great wrestlers is never really a likely scenario, but they always have their submission game, and they're really durable. If an opponent makes a mistake on the ground, Nate could get a win.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Only way I say Nate beating Khabib is by submission, but that's certainly a possible outcome. Not overly probable but very possible.

I thought Nate would be Conor's easiest & best option for his first fight at 155, when the RDA fight first fell apart. Turns out Nate won that fight.

Never count out a Diaz. They both have shortcomings in their game, and winning on points against great wrestlers is never really a likely scenario, but they always have their submission game, and they're really durable. If an opponent makes a mistake on the ground, Nate could get a win.

Khabib is just an animal on top though and has a really really legit grappling game. He's also much stronger than Nate. It's such a bad match-up for Nate.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Khabib is just an animal on top though and has a really really legit grappling game. He's also much stronger than Nate. It's such a bad match-up for Nate.

I agree 100%. If they fought 100 times Khabib would probably win the vast majority of the fights. I'm just saying there's bound to be a few where Nate gets a sneaky win.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
They're not going to fight. If they did, everyone in the world knows that Money would win easily in a boxing match. Just like Conor would smash him in an MMA fight. For that reason alone, no way they do this.

If the money is right, they'll do it

Assuming of course that Conor is legally allowed to since he's already under contract with the UFC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If the money is right, they'll do it

Assuming of course that Conor is legally allowed to since he's already under contract with the UFC

Dana has to agree to let it happen. Which means he and UFC need to get paid as promoters. Same with McGregor. And of course Mayweather. No shot this ever comes to pass. Besides, depending on the medium, it would be an non competitive fight. If it's boxing, Mayweather will grossly out class McGregor. If it's MMA (which Floyd will never agree to), McGregor would literally destroy Floyd.

I think they'll play their little twitter games every so often, but really this is about leverage. McGregor wants more from the UFC and the best way is it make them think he's got other options. That's why when he was threatening retirement earlier this year, the FM **** came up. Now he goes and wins his second belt and says he won't fight until they give him a new deal. Out of nowhere the fight with Mayweather comes back to life to exert more pressure. That's all this is.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
I don't know if Floyd would KO mcgregor or not in a boxing, he's more of a point fighter anyways. But i do know if Floyd has balls to step in the octagon with Mcgregor, Floyd would go out in a body bag.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm telling you guys this right now, Khabib Nurmagomedov would wipe CMG down and it wouldn't even be close. This manufactured hype around CMG is insane. I feel like the only fight he was really the dog in was the Aldo fight and I'm not totally convinced that if Aldo comes into that fight focused that we don't see a different outcome. I am by no stretch a CMG hater, but his fight card just isn't all that impressive. There are about 10 guys in MMA that I would put the house on against him. The UFC has done a fantastic job insulating him from the kind of fights he could lose (though they lost a gamble on that with Diaz, which they're still kicking themselves for) and he should be thankful for that. With Eddie Alvarez, we're talking about a guy who went to decision 5 out of 7 times in his previous 7 fights before CMG. 3 decisions out of 4 of his most recent were split decisions and the fight with Cowboy where Cowboy looked weird as hell. It was the perfect opportunity to attack that division and that belt.

Just look at what Khabib has been doing to guys. He has kicked a lot of cans also, but the way he won his fights against Michael Johnson and Dos Anjos was just immense. His hands are good enough to get him inside, and once he gets inside he WILL drag you down and put you on your back. I rarely have ever felt bad for a caliber of fighter that Michael Johnson is, but that fight was just an exhibition of ground and pound and I was honestly getting worried for how many huge shots he was taking. Khabib bounced his head off the canvas for 3 rounds and offered him the give-up Kimura at the end. This guy is an animal and I don't think CMG could rattle him emotionally, which is where CMG wins half his fights before they start.

The talk of CMG taking on Mayweather is hilariously dumb. Point boxing is an entirely different animal than MMA. Mayweather has shown that he's not going to let a big puncher get that opportunity against him. CMG would have to take rounds off him to beat him, and there's virtually no chance that happens. The only chance CMG has would be in MMA rules where he could threaten the takedown to minimize Mayweather's elite footwork and defense. I hate the guy, Mayweather, but you can't hit him like you can hit normal people. He's like boxing a ghost. CMG's hands aren't nearly that nice. They're not even the best in MMA for that style of fighting.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Also, CMG asking for a stake of the company is one of the more laughable things to happen in recent memory. If every fighter that had a run like him had asked for a point, they'd have no points left. Anderson Silva would have one. Ronda would have one. GSP would have one. Hell, Forrest Griffin might have one. It would set a precedent they wouldn't be able to match in the future.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm telling you guys this right now, Khabib Nurmagomedov would wipe CMG down and it wouldn't even be close. This manufactured hype around CMG is insane. I feel like the only fight he was really the dog in was the Aldo fight and I'm not totally convinced that if Aldo comes into that fight focused that we don't see a different outcome. I am by no stretch a CMG hater, but his fight card just isn't all that impressive. There are about 10 guys in MMA that I would put the house on against him. The UFC has done a fantastic job insulating him from the kind of fights he could lose (though they lost a gamble on that with Diaz, which they're still kicking themselves for) and he should be thankful for that. With Eddie Alvarez, we're talking about a guy who went to decision 5 out of 7 times in his previous 7 fights before CMG. 3 decisions out of 4 of his most recent were split decisions and the fight with Cowboy where Cowboy looked weird as hell. It was the perfect opportunity to attack that division and that belt.

Just look at what Khabib has been doing to guys. He has kicked a lot of cans also, but the way he won his fights against Michael Johnson and Dos Anjos was just immense. His hands are good enough to get him inside, and once he gets inside he WILL drag you down and put you on your back. I rarely have ever felt bad for a caliber of fighter that Michael Johnson is, but that fight was just an exhibition of ground and pound and I was honestly getting worried for how many huge shots he was taking. Khabib bounced his head off the canvas for 3 rounds and offered him the give-up Kimura at the end. This guy is an animal and I don't think CMG could rattle him emotionally, which is where CMG wins half his fights before they start.

The talk of CMG taking on Mayweather is hilariously dumb. Point boxing is an entirely different animal than MMA. Mayweather has shown that he's not going to let a big puncher get that opportunity against him. CMG would have to take rounds off him to beat him, and there's virtually no chance that happens. The only chance CMG has would be in MMA rules where he could threaten the takedown to minimize Mayweather's elite footwork and defense. I hate the guy, Mayweather, but you can't hit him like you can hit normal people. He's like boxing a ghost. CMG's hands aren't nearly that nice. They're not even the best in MMA for that style of fighting.

You go out of your way to dismiss McGregor's opponents, but exactly whom has Khabib beaten of any note? I've never been overly impressed with RDA. Guy is a journeyman that had a decent win streak at the right time. Other than that, most of Khabib's wins came against no name stiffs in Russia, or JAGs with double digit losses. And I like Khabib, so don't get me wrong. I just think pointing to opponents as justification for your view is weak, especially since McGregor has wins over Aldo and Alvarez in the last year.

Fact is, this match up is interesting because of the stark difference in style. It will all come down to who can impose their will on whom. That's if Khabib doesn't quit like he's threatening to do.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015

You keep contradicting yourself in this post. Either way, there are really 2 great contenders for the belt in Khabib & El Cucuy. Those 2 need to fight and the winner fights Mcgregor. Khabib keeps talking about him getting a title shot but the guy pulls out of more fights than anyone else. He's as unreliable as they come.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
You go out of your way to dismiss McGregor's opponents, but exactly whom has Khabib beaten of any note? I've never been overly impressed with RDA. Guy is a journeyman that had a decent win streak at the right time. Other than that, most of Khabib's wins came against no name stiffs in Russia, or JAGs with double digit losses. And I like Khabib, so don't get me wrong. I just think pointing to opponents as justification for your view is weak, especially since McGregor has wins over Aldo and Alvarez in the last year.

Fact is, this match up is interesting because of the stark difference in style. It will all come down to who can impose their will on whom. That's if Khabib doesn't quit like he's threatening to do.

RDA is by far a better fighter than Alvarez. Give me an example of one impressive victory by Eddie in the UFC (excluding RDA, ironically).

But to fair, Khabib beat a pre-roided RDA. That was a different fighter.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

Khabib is a super dangerous dude, and a very real threat. No doubt about it. But give credit where credit is due.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad